follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2021, 10:51 AM   #169
ymshulman

Drives: '17 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican_D View Post
I've had joying, I prefer the Teyes hands down.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

For the UI alone, or something else?

(Would those things apply if you were using it just as a conduit for CarPlay?)
ymshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:53 AM   #170
Rican_D

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymshulman View Post
For the UI alone, or something else?

(Would those things apply if you were using it just as a conduit for CarPlay?)
For the UI ,the hardware, the performance.
Can't answer about carplay since I don't use apple

Rican_D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rican_D For This Useful Post:
ymshulman (07-07-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 08:47 AM   #171
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Would someone be willing to measure the dimensions of this unit (width x height of the total unit, not just the screen) so I can make mock-ups with a direct comparison?
Here you go. I scaled this image to perfectly match the real unit. I test printed it and then cut it out and it matches perfect. Make sure when you print it that it doesn't do any fit to page crap.

Note: Do not save the preview image you see here.. click the link and then download the actual file from Google Drive. The preview image is scaled down.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ype...ew?usp=sharing
Attached Images

ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
ymshulman (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 08:49 AM   #172
ymshulman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Here you go. I scaled this image to perfectly match the real unit. I test printed it and then cut it out and it matches perfect. This assumes the forum doesn't tamper with my attachment. Make sure when you print it that it doesn't do any fit to page crap.

Attachment 202894

Thanks! That’s so helpful of you.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:59 AM   #173
turbanlegend

Drives: FRS
Is this head unit, the same as the Idoing 9"PX6 headunit??
(Like the one John Nguyen on youtube reviewed)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...1ea63932rit6N6
turbanlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:46 AM   #174
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbanlegend View Post
Is this head unit, the same as the Idoing 9"PX6 headunit??
(Like the one John Nguyen on youtube reviewed)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...1ea63932rit6N6
Nope, it's different.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:59 PM   #175
ymshulman

Quote:
Here you go. I scaled this image to perfectly match the real unit. I test printed it and then cut it out and it matches perfect. Make sure when you print it that it doesn't do any fit to page crap.

Note: Do not save the preview image you see here.. click the link and then download the actual file from Google Drive. The preview image is scaled down.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ype...ew?usp=sharing

Funny how in that stock image they show the clock and hazard switches as visible, but all of the posted images in this thread show them as blocked by the CC3...

I'm going to pull the trigger in the next few days on either this or the Teyes 11.6". (Both seem to be same processor, both have DSP, software on Teyes is better but has CarPlay call audio bug, Teyes has higher PPI and larger screen.) Leaning towards larger, cause why not.

For those following this thread/ curious, posting mockup of the Teyes in cardboard - it runs from the bottom of the clock/hazard, and covers one slat of the vents on top (but leaves the controls for the vents accessible and most of the vent open); and from left end to right end of the cutout on the two-piece dashcovers, or from end to end of the console surrounding the HVAC system (not just the silver pieces, even the outer leather edges.) Half an inch thick. (Cardboard mockup matches that in the thickest place, where the duct tape is on the right.)

Things I'm still not sure about that could swing me:
- If one unit still has significantly better sound quality
- Issues with signing in to Google accounts? Have heard that there have been issues where people's contacts were all deleted- and it's important to me to have my contacts' addresses, and my Google Calendar appointments, synced to the headunit. (Would welcome input from anyone here!)
- Can the Teyes unit record from the rear-view camera a) automatically, and b) even when CarPlay is running? [Update for anyone visiting this later: Teyes engineer told me yes. This is actually super, super cool - get a dashcam from the backup camera!

Last edited by ymshulman; 07-21-2021 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:02 PM   #176
ymshulman

TEYES CC3 Android HU

In other news… the engineer is still in denial that there is any issue with CarPlay phone calls

Old 07-21-2021, 04:32 PM   #177
ymshulman

The Google Contacts sync bug seems pretty prevalent across multiple Android headunits.

Does the CC3 sync Google Contacts and Google Calendar without any issues - so that contacts' addresses, and addresses to events, are synced up to the headunit?
Old 07-26-2021, 09:26 PM   #178
Rican_D

Just installed new dash speakers, hopeful can get the rears tomorrow. Installed JBL GX328 3.5 inch. Had to get creative but got it to work. Wow what a difference!

Old 07-27-2021, 03:19 PM   #179
Rican_D

Ok, all done. I reused the factory speaker harnesses. I soldered them onto new speakers. I could only get one bolt to screw down the new speakers due to custom design the factory ones have. There are plenty holes in the mounting area, so I used a zip tie to secure the other side. Have a much cleaner and crisper sound now.

Old 08-02-2021, 01:10 PM   #180
ermax

Quote:
Things I'm still not sure about that could swing me:
- Issues with signing in to Google accounts? Have heard that there have been issues where people's contacts were all deleted- and it's important to me to have my contacts' addresses, and my Google Calendar appointments, synced to the headunit. (Would welcome input from anyone here!)
- Can the Teyes unit record from the rear-view camera a) automatically, and b) even when CarPlay is running? [Update for anyone visiting this later: Teyes engineer told me yes. This is actually super, super cool - get a dashcam from the backup camera!
First off, the CC3 does NOT cover the vents or the hazard/clock. I think you got the scale wrong on your cardboard cutout. I'm 6.2 so I'm sort of above the HU looking down and at that angle it does block about half of the clock but if I hunch just a tad I see the whole clock. I wouldn't be bothered if it did cover the clock because my clock gains 1min every 10mins so it's useless to me anyways.

Next, the Google account bug is common with all the FYU based headunits but as far as I know it's fully resolved on the latest firmware. I don't utilize this functionality so I can't confirm.

I'm about 99.9% confident you can record the front and rear cams. I don't have a front cam but I can test the rear cam later. I just need to throw an SD card in mine to test.

The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
ymshulman (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 01:13 PM   #181
ymshulman

Quote:
First off, the CC3 does NOT cover the vents or the hazard/clock. I think you got the scale wrong on your cardboard cutout. I'm 6.2 so I'm sort of above the HU looking down and at that angle it does block about half of the clock but if I hunch just a tad I see the whole clock. I wouldn't be bothered if it did cover the clock because my clock gains 1min every 10mins so it's useless to me anyways.

Next, the Google account bug is common with all the FYU based headunits but as far as I know it's fully resolved on the latest firmware. I don't utilize this functionality so I can't confirm.

I'm about 99.9% confident you can record the front and rear cams. I don't have a front cam but I can test the rear cam later. I just need to throw an SD card in mine to test.

Thanks! The cardboard is actually for an 11.6” unit, which is the unit that has me torn.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:14 PM   #182
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican_D View Post
Just installed new dash speakers, hopeful can get the rears tomorrow. Installed JBL GX328 3.5 inch. Had to get creative but got it to work. Wow what a difference!
I think you have me sold on these. They are $39 USD on Amazon, seems like a cheap upgrade.

What were you going to order for the rear?