follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
Blackedout86

Drives: 2012 Toyota FT-86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Slow RPM Buildup and weird shifting sound

Hey guys, i need some help diagnosing my car's problem, it currently has :

Fully Catless Header-Back exhaust (exc. Overpipe still stock)
Tuned with Dastek Unichip Q4 Piggyback
HKS Inlet Tube
HKS Drop in filter

The rest is pretty much stock. Ive got the tune 2 years ago without any problems, but in the recent months i noticed that when accelerating, WOT from 3rd to 4th gear, the RPM doesnt climb straight, it even drops for a second before starts climbing up. And it makes an unfamiliar shifting sound everytime i shift near redline on every gear, its just most noticable on 3 to 4th.

It happens if the car's quite warm after 10 mins driving redline, but i think it also happens even when the car's relatively cold. I cant remember since when these things happen, but im pretty sure its not like this even after 1 year since its tuned.

I showed the video to my tuner, and he said its the AT being too hot but why does it happen on an NA car ? or is it an ATF issue ?

Video :
"https://youtu.be/KFM14jSY4Rw"
"https://youtu.be/UHcsrUdXnx4"

ps : Speedo is -10% off due to oversized tyres, 235/45 and 255/45 on 18" wheels
Blackedout86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blackedout86 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 02:39 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout86 View Post
Hey guys, i need some help diagnosing my car's problem, it currently has :

Fully Catless Header-Back exhaust (exc. Overpipe still stock)
Tuned with Dastek Unichip Q4 Piggyback
HKS Inlet Tube
HKS Drop in filter

The rest is pretty much stock. Ive got the tune 2 years ago without any problems, but in the recent months i noticed that when accelerating, WOT from 3rd to 4th gear, the RPM doesnt climb straight, it even drops for a second before starts climbing up. And it makes an unfamiliar shifting sound everytime i shift near redline on every gear, its just most noticable on 3 to 4th.

It happens if the car's quite warm after 10 mins driving redline, but i think it also happens even when the car's relatively cold. I cant remember since when these things happen, but im pretty sure its not like this even after 1 year since its tuned.

I showed the video to my tuner, and he said its the AT being too hot but why does it happen on an NA car ? or is it an ATF issue ?

Video :
"https://youtu.be/KFM14jSY4Rw"
"https://youtu.be/UHcsrUdXnx4"

ps : Speedo is -10% off due to oversized tyres, 235/45 and 255/45 on 18" wheels
I'd suggest you do a complete flush of the AT and put in new ATF.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Blackedout86 (07-13-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 11:17 AM   #3
Blackedout86

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I'd suggest you do a complete flush of the AT and put in new ATF.

is complete flush the same with drain and fill ? because ive heard people say that this car should never be completey flushed because it'll damage the fins or smt like that.
I also changed the ATF by doing drain and fill just once last year, using total LVMV atf recommended by the workshop since i cant find suitable motul/redline atf here.

in my case, should i continue drain and flush with the same total lvmv or try to find motul/redline?
humfrz (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 01:57 AM   #4
humfrz

Quote:
is complete flush the same with drain and fill ? because ive heard people say that this car should never be completey flushed because it'll damage the fins or smt like that.
I also changed the ATF by doing drain and fill just once last year, using total LVMV atf recommended by the workshop since i cant find suitable motul/redline atf here.

in my case, should i continue drain and flush with the same total lvmv or try to find motul/redline?
What I was getting at with my use of the term "flush" would be to follow the procedure in the maintenance manual which has several steps, not just to drain it out and refill.

As far as what ATF to use, I'd just use whatever is within spec as suggested by the manual.

I don't have an AT so, I never looked into it.

Hopefully others will come along with some good advice -

Back in the day ..... hmmmm ..... back in my day, average cars didn't have automatic transmissions. -
Blackedout86 (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
Blackedout86

Quote:
What I was getting at with my use of the term "flush" would be to follow the procedure in the maintenance manual which has several steps, not just to drain it out and refill.

As far as what ATF to use, I'd just use whatever is within spec as suggested by the manual.

I don't have an AT so, I never looked into it.

Hopefully others will come along with some good advice -

Back in the day ..... hmmmm ..... back in my day, average cars didn't have automatic transmissions. -
afaik the total lvmv meets the specifications as stated in the manual, any idea why this problem still exists ? i did the atf change last year, but as far as i remember this problem exists way before that.

i live in indonesia where the weather is quite hot, but there are lots of other places hotter than here, yet i havent seen any threads about a problem similar to mine
humfrz (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 08:45 PM   #6
humfrz

Quote:
afaik the total lvmv meets the specifications as stated in the manual, any idea why this problem still exists ? i did the atf change last year, but as far as i remember this problem exists way before that.

i live in indonesia where the weather is quite hot, but there are lots of other places hotter than here, yet i havent seen any threads about a problem similar to mine
Well, I don't know what to tell you, Blackedout86 -

My only thing was to suggest fresh ATF or have the transmission rebuilt. However, with these cars, I understand there is a little computer thing that tells the transmission what to do when. Maybe it needs to be looked at?
Blackedout86 (07-15-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 09:41 PM   #7
Steveiam

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If you want to completely flush the ATF, you'll have to do drain and fill 3 times.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...55&postcount=1

One member here had some issues with the clutch slipping at the track and he elaborates on what happened on this post, but he is also boosted.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...t=18868&page=7
Steveiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:24 AM   #8
Blackedout86

Quote:
Well, I don't know what to tell you, Blackedout86 -

My only thing was to suggest fresh ATF or have the transmission rebuilt. However, with these cars, I understand there is a little computer thing that tells the transmission what to do when. Maybe it needs to be looked at?
im taking the car back to the tuner who installed the piggyback, i surely hope its just something wrong with the tune lol. If its not then flushing the ATF is my only hope since rebuilding the trans is impossible here.
humfrz (07-15-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 10:54 AM   #9
Blackedout86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveiam View Post
If you want to completely flush the ATF, you'll have to do drain and fill 3 times.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...55&postcount=1

One member here had some issues with the clutch slipping at the track and he elaborates on what happened on this post, but he is also boosted.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...t=18868&page=7
reading the clutch slipping thread makes me nervous, i cant even find the recommended ATF ive seen in this forum like motul gear 300, redline d6, eneos, lucas etc for this car here, let alone finding a workshop that can rebuild the trans.

the car is relatively rare here, subaru's official workshop is closed permanently, i even once took the car to toyota dealership for general maintrenance and the mechanics asked what car is the 86 ? man i took off right away, true story.

If this can be fixed by flushing, im looking at a dead end.

Last edited by Blackedout86; 07-15-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #10
Steveiam

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
His case is an extreme scenario. He was tracking hard on a 100+ degree weather and his coolant temp was also very high. AT uses the coolant to warm up the transmission on cold startup, but this also affect the transmission negatively when it's overheating.

You can flush with Toyota ATF WS and be fine. No need for fancy brands if the transmission isn't seeing extreme heat
Steveiam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steveiam For This Useful Post:
Blackedout86 (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 09:05 AM   #11
chipmunk

Drives: _
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Flushing an automatic isn't too bad. While I don't know how/where/whether the drain & fill bolts for BRZ/86 automatic transmissions exist, this is what I did on a Mazda/Ford auto transmission:

Find the transmission oil drain bolt. If it doesn't have one, I suggest taking the oil pan off. That way you'll clear out any gunk as well. While you're there, also change the filter. Let the oil drain overnight. It will be a lot. Turn the rear wheels (if possible) to turn the torque convertor while in Neutral, to get out any hidden oil in the TC. If you can measure how much oil has been drained, you can add the same amount back in through the trans dipstick tube (if it doesn't have fill hole). If not, keep adding slowly until you reach the dipstick tube mark.
Most likely you'll end up filling too much oil. Please make sure you have a suction pipe to pull out any excess oil. This will be a patient weekend project.

HOWEVER, if it is one of those "non-serviceable" transmissions... well.... have fun doing something else during that weekend instead. Not worth sacrificing a fun weekend.
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chipmunk For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2020, 10:01 AM   #12
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Can you post a data log?

If it is because of the trans fluid here is the procedure, much simpler version. the manual makes it look 10x more difficult then it really is. I have done this at least 8 times now. basically 1 more step than an oil change really.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...2&postcount=12

Do you not have access to toyota ATF fluid?
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2020, 10:20 AM   #13
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The noise you mention reminds me of the goose honk you get sometimes on manual transmission with a bad throwout bearing.

Honestly yours doesn't sound bad and its awesome to see someone banging gears at redline in the auto. But keep an eye on it to see if it changes.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2020, 11:23 AM   #14
Blackedout86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveiam View Post
His case is an extreme scenario. He was tracking hard on a 100+ degree weather and his coolant temp was also very high. AT uses the coolant to warm up the transmission on cold startup, but this also affect the transmission negatively when it's overheating.

You can flush with Toyota ATF WS and be fine. No need for fancy brands if the transmission isn't seeing extreme heat
im currently using demineralized water + a little prestone super concentrate for coolant, should i replace it with prestone prediluted 33% instead ? will it help somehow ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk View Post
Flushing an automatic isn't too bad. While I don't know how/where/whether the drain & fill bolts for BRZ/86 automatic transmissions exist, this is what I did on a Mazda/Ford auto transmission:

Find the transmission oil drain bolt. If it doesn't have one, I suggest taking the oil pan off. That way you'll clear out any gunk as well. While you're there, also change the filter. Let the oil drain overnight. It will be a lot. Turn the rear wheels (if possible) to turn the torque convertor while in Neutral, to get out any hidden oil in the TC. If you can measure how much oil has been drained, you can add the same amount back in through the trans dipstick tube (if it doesn't have fill hole). If not, keep adding slowly until you reach the dipstick tube mark.
Most likely you'll end up filling too much oil. Please make sure you have a suction pipe to pull out any excess oil. This will be a patient weekend project.

HOWEVER, if it is one of those "non-serviceable" transmissions... well.... have fun doing something else during that weekend instead. Not worth sacrificing a fun weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Can you post a data log?

If it is because of the trans fluid here is the procedure, much simpler version. the manual makes it look 10x more difficult then it really is. I have done this at least 8 times now. basically 1 more step than an oil change really.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...2&postcount=12

Do you not have access to toyota ATF fluid?
i have actually done atf change once last year using total mvlv, because i was trying to fix this issue. apparently it doesn't help, so i doubt its an atf issue.

i even tried unplugging the Piggyback, so the car is basically stock tuned, but the problem still exists. so thats not a tune-related problem either.