follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #1919
Readytoxplod
Tire Destroyer

Drives: Firestorm+snail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm looking at Fortune Auto(500) coilovers before my 18" enkeis (8.5/9.5) come in, any recommendation for spring rates? Aslo should I go with the Swift upgrade?
(BTW I understand staggered is not the best, but I enjoy the looks and will not change the wheels)
I live in NC and drive the Blue Ridge parkway, and technical roads like the Tail of The Dragon frequently, and want best performance over comfort. They come with 6k front and 7k rear rates. Thanks!
Readytoxplod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #1920
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdecoste View Post
Well I would like coilovers but was a little hesitant because of the price, some early issues people were having with the eibach kits, and the fine tuning it would take to find the right settings/alignment. Would you recommend any particular eibach coilover kit?
Sorry. Not really familiar with eibachs coilover set-ups. I will say this, I learned the hard way about buying mods based on what I could afford immediately versus saving up and waiting a while.

A good set of springs go a long way for a decent price. Plus they keep decent resale value when you upgrade to coilovers. I know a few guys running the eibach pro kit and like it at the track, but have also heard it can be slightly bouncy on the daily.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #1921
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readytoxplod View Post
I'm looking at Fortune Auto(500) coilovers before my 18" enkeis (8.5/9.5) come in, any recommendation for spring rates? Aslo should I go with the Swift upgrade?
(BTW I understand staggered is not the best, but I enjoy the looks and will not change the wheels)
I live in NC and drive the Blue Ridge parkway, and technical roads like the Tail of The Dragon frequently, and want best performance over comfort. They come with 6k front and 7k rear rates. Thanks!
What kind of tires?

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #1922
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Ok thanks, start somewhere else as in coilovers and use sways to fine tune? Which of the 3 eibach coilover kits would you recommend? I was a little weary because a few people on the forums were having some early issues with them, but I'm sure eibach has resolved those issues since then.
I like Eibach (they make our RCE Yellow and Tarmac springs for us to our specs) but I would not recommend their coilover kits.

What kind and what size tires do you run for auto-x and track? Do you want to be "competitive" for auto-x?

- Andy
Old 08-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #1923
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Soup View Post
I want to be able to get between 2 and 3 degrees of camber at stock ride height. That said, do the RaceSeng parts alter ride height/ground clearance any? I really don't want it to sit any lower (I've made use of the factory skid plate a few times), and don't want to raise the nose too much and mess up the handling balance.
I'm not sure if the RaceSeng parts alter ride height.

HVT is another good quality camber plate that will work with stock suspension and they do not change ride-height.

- Andy
Old 08-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #1924
mdecoste

Drives: 2013 white FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
I like Eibach (they make our RCE Yellow and Tarmac springs for us to our specs) but I would not recommend their coilover kits.

What kind and what size tires do you run for auto-x and track? Do you want to be "competitive" for auto-x?

- Andy
I've been using 225 bfg g-force rivals on 17-8 rpf1s for track/autocross and daily driving the stock wheels/tires. My only other mods are carbotech xp10 brake pads, brake fluid and a k&N filter. Being competitive in the socal stx class against cars like Max Hayter's isn't really realistic at the moment so I'm just out there having fun and trying to drive my car to its maximum potential. I'm looking for better track performance without it being too uncomfortable as a daily driver. Appreciate the advice Andy!
mdecoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #1925
mdecoste

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Sorry. Not really familiar with eibachs coilover set-ups. I will say this, I learned the hard way about buying mods based on what I could afford immediately versus saving up and waiting a while.

A good set of springs go a long way for a decent price. Plus they keep decent resale value when you upgrade to coilovers. I know a few guys running the eibach pro kit and like it at the track, but have also heard it can be slightly bouncy on the daily.
Yea, I'd definitely rather do it right rather then rush into what I can afford. The eibach pro-kit is a good option. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:21 PM   #1926
mdecoste

Garage
Will I still benefit from front camber bolts when my car has slightly more of a tendency to oversteer to begin with. (stock suspension frs). Would a stiffer sway bar in the front than rear or staggered tires (235 rear 225 front) be a decent way to achieve a more neutral setup if I leave the rest of the suspension alone.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #1927
karlsson

Drives: seat ibiza
I recently switched from the stock michelins to yokohama ad08-r in 215/45 17 and it seems to me, as if the OEM suspension is now struggling to keep up with the upgraded tires.
Do you think a b14 or kw v1 (those are, where I'd like to draw the line budget-wise) would be a good choice or should I go with B6 and stiffer springs?
What spring rates would you recommend?
The car sees up to five trackdays/auto-x events a year and is mostly used for spirited canyondriving.
karlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #1928
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsson View Post
I recently switched from the stock michelins to yokohama ad08-r in 215/45 17 and it seems to me, as if the OEM suspension is now struggling to keep up with the upgraded tires.
Do you think a b14 or kw v1 (those are, where I'd like to draw the line budget-wise) would be a good choice or should I go with B6 and stiffer springs?
What spring rates would you recommend?
The car sees up to five trackdays/auto-x events a year and is mostly used for spirited canyondriving.
I would recommend you get the camber you need via camber plates and rear LCAs.

You'll be shocked at what a proper alignment can do, because right now, under cornering, you're only using the outer edge of the tire (due to body roll). Changing dampers doesn't change your body roll, although you'll reduce it a bit with stiffer springs that will likely be paired up with those dampers. On the other hand, the alignment will get you a more complete contact patch, allowing you to use all of your tire.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
karlsson (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #1929
karlsson

Drives: seat ibiza
Since I am based in Germany road-legality is a big issue. There are no road-legal LCAs and camber plates are also a big issue. I'll be getting the OEM crash bolts before the alignment and hope I'll be getting enough camber out of them.

Can you recommend other parts that could aid alignment-wise?
any Powerflex or white line bolts or bushings (powerflex is a little easier to come by over here)?

Thanks
karlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #1930
Slick

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 6MT
Thanked 1,389 Times in 628 Posts
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Will I still benefit from front camber bolts when my car has slightly more of a tendency to oversteer to begin with. (stock suspension frs). Would a stiffer sway bar in the front than rear or staggered tires (235 rear 225 front) be a decent way to achieve a more neutral setup if I leave the rest of the suspension alone.

If you go with the Eibach ProKit springs, it will remove the oversteer and stabilize the rear end more on exit, springs have a nice F/R bias that I like.

225/235 is not much of a stagger anyway, plus I'm not a fan of it. It eliminates the ability to rotate tires and there are other ways to play with the bias.

Prokit combined with just front crash bolts will get you around -2.0 all around, you can get more up front if you slot the struts a bit.
Get used to this combo before making other changes.
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #1931
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Since I am based in Germany road-legality is a big issue. There are no road-legal LCAs and camber plates are also a big issue. I'll be getting the OEM crash bolts before the alignment and hope I'll be getting enough camber out of them.

any Powerflex or white line bolts or bushings (powerflex is a little easier to come by over here)?

Thanks
if you use a 14mm camber bolt from Whiteline or SPC in the lower strut hole along with the OEM crash bolt in the upper hole you can get over -2 degrees. If you lower your car and need more rear adjustment the Whiteline rear upper control arm camber adjustment bushing gets .75 degrees of adjustment, they are just a pain to install and adjust.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
karlsson (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #1932
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

Thanks
Ouch.

Get 4 oem WRX "crash bolt". It's a grade 10 M14 bolt, which will get you more camber in the front. Use them in BOTH strut mounting holes, and max out your camber.

It's not the best fix, and not something I normally recommend, but when legality is an issue, this is a "fix".

If you have a truly talented shop, you can drop your rear subframe, and play with the factory tolerances to gain about 0.5 degrees of negative camber per side on average, but this is a LOT of money for labor for minimal gains.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
karlsson (08-26-2014)