follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-04-2017, 02:48 AM   #1
JAK_SPYRO

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Yellow Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What's the best internals upgrade kit?

Hey, so I wanted to upgrade almost everything I can or I should before I turbo charge it with the Full Blown Motorsports Stage 1 Premium turbo kit. I saw that Crawford has an engine upgrade kit, but I wanted to make sure if there are any better kits out there or if I should get the parts I need individually?
If there is a good kit please let me know and if not would someone please make a list of every single part I need to purchase no matter how small or big. I am aiming for 350-450 HP with about 14-16 PSI. Also I am only running 93 gas because there is no E85 anywhere close to me xD
Also money isn't an issue at all, but don't go over $10,000 please :P
Turbo Kit: Site
Internals Kit: Site
Installation Kit: Site
JAK_SPYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:39 AM   #2
GsxrMe

Drives: Late 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Personal preference

Just make sure you also have following
Clutch
Oilcooler
Mounts engine/trans/diff
Catch can
Solid tune, the FBM base does Ok, i did run it for a year but get a protune.
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
GsxrMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:59 PM   #3
JAK_SPYRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrMe View Post
Personal preference

Just make sure you also have following
Clutch
Oilcooler
Mounts engine/trans/diff
Catch can
Solid tune, the FBM base does Ok, i did run it for a year but get a protune.
Oh I already got all those, what I meant was the engine internals! Like the pistons, rods, valve springs, short block... all that good stuff.
And yeah I have a professional shop with a dyno installing the kit and everything for me and tuning as best as it can be tuned. I just don't know what to do with the internals after I pass the 300-350 HP mark
Old 05-04-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
arthur93

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK_SPYRO View Post
Oh I already got all those, what I meant was the engine internals! Like the pistons, rods, valve springs, short block... all that good stuff.
And yeah I have a professional shop with a dyno installing the kit and everything for me and tuning as best as it can be tuned. I just don't know what to do with the internals after I pass the 300-350 HP mark

I am aiming pretty much the same power as you; anywhere around the 350whp mark. I am also interested in finding out as well.

I am currently looking at some CP pistons and rods, ARP head studs and upgraded GSC value spring set.

I have read multiple times about upgrading the mounts. I have read that the engine tends to move to the left under high load, but never come across reasons as to why one would upgrade the other mounts. I know its a bit of a stupid question, but what is the risk of some movement with the mounts?
arthur93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
JAK_SPYRO

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur93 View Post
I am aiming pretty much the same power as you; anywhere around the 350whp mark. I am also interested in finding out as well.

I am currently looking at some CP pistons and rods, ARP head studs and upgraded GSC value spring set.

I have read multiple times about upgrading the mounts. I have read that the engine tends to move to the left under high load, but never come across reasons as to why one would upgrade the other mounts. I know its a bit of a stupid question, but what is the risk of some movement with the mounts?
The more the engine moves the less power and accurate acceleration you get. It's like you trying to lift while someone's trying to push you and rock you back and forth. Obviously you can lift better if you're in place on a nice stable bench. Since we're both upgrading internals I would definitely upgrade the mounts too which I'm going with the Perrin ones. As of the internals, the stock short block can actually handle up to 500 HP so I'm not worried about that. For the rest of the parts, FBM has some nice parts on their website and for the valve springs, same I went with the GSC. I'd say getting them installed is gonna cost more than the parts 😂
The Following User Says Thank You to JAK_SPYRO For This Useful Post:
arthur93 (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 10:37 PM   #6
PranayP

Drives: LR BRZ| OFT STG2 UEL E85
Garage
I'm also going for about the same power you're talking about. If I were to go for a short block package, I most certainly would go Full Blown's Stage 1 kit. It's rated for 600 HP. Other than that, I'd probably contact Dynosty and see what they can do. This gets you extra goodies like a machined, blueprinted, and balanced short block, but it lacks a couple things I thought I'd have for safety measures. Instead of dropping $4k on a short block package, I'm choosing parts separately after researching what would be beneficial and what would not be as necessary. This is my list as of now:
  • CP Pistons (I'm deciding on either doing stock compression or 11:1 since I'll be running a flexfuel kit)
  • Pauter Rods (Carillo if you're willing to spend more but I've heard good things about Pauter)
  • ARP Head Stud Kit (With around 20 psi of boost, I'm worried there'll be lift and also it seems common
  • Kelford Valve Spring Set (I chose Kelford but I don't know the difference between GSC)
  • AEM AFR and Boost Gauge and Innovate Oil Pressure and Temp Gauge
  • Radium Dual Catch Cans (This is a must for FI imo, and there was a post about ethanol vapors from using a FlexFuel kit that get collected as well)
  • Cometic Head Gasket
  • ACL Rod Bearings (Improved oil flow than OEM bearings so less chance of spun bearings)
  • Kiing XPG Main Bearings
PranayP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PranayP For This Useful Post:
arthur93 (05-05-2017), JAK_SPYRO (05-05-2017), Teseo (05-05-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 11:48 PM   #7
JAK_SPYRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PranayP View Post
I'm also going for about the same power you're talking about. If I were to go for a short block package, I most certainly would go Full Blown's Stage 1 kit. It's rated for 600 HP. Other than that, I'd probably contact Dynosty and see what they can do. This gets you extra goodies like a machined, blueprinted, and balanced short block, but it lacks a couple things I thought I'd have for safety measures. Instead of dropping $4k on a short block package, I'm choosing parts separately after researching what would be beneficial and what would not be as necessary. This is my list as of now:
  • CP Pistons (I'm deciding on either doing stock compression or 11:1 since I'll be running a flexfuel kit)
  • Pauter Rods (Carillo if you're willing to spend more but I've heard good things about Pauter)
  • ARP Head Stud Kit (With around 20 psi of boost, I'm worried there'll be lift and also it seems common
  • Kelford Valve Spring Set (I chose Kelford but I don't know the difference between GSC)
  • AEM AFR and Boost Gauge and Innovate Oil Pressure and Temp Gauge
  • Radium Dual Catch Cans (This is a must for FI imo, and there was a post about ethanol vapors from using a FlexFuel kit that get collected as well)
  • Cometic Head Gasket
  • ACL Rod Bearings (Improved oil flow than OEM bearings so less chance of spun bearings)
  • Kiing XPG Main Bearings
I would get the Crawford oil catch can, it sends the oil back to the oil pan and you don't have to get 2 oil catch cans cause it protects both sides. Other than that, how much HP are you planning on? I feel like the 600 HP block is a bit of a waste of money cause the stock block is pretty strong. The only reason people break the block is because they break pistons and rods which then launch into the block and make a hole. If you upgrade everything in the block then don't even waste $2-3k on a block. Everything else you chose is pretty good quality and yes buying parts individually saves a lot of money

Last edited by JAK_SPYRO; 05-05-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:23 AM   #8
arthur93

In regards to engine and trans/diff mounts, are there any recommended ones? I have had a quick look to see what others are running and I have seen quite a few using whiteline/perrin. I was looking on ft86speedfactory, and came across this perrin/whiteline combo...

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/perr...l#.WQv6Delf2wk

In relation to diff mounts, I am leaning towards the STI ones. Mind you, initially the car will spend 90% of its time on the street, but do intend to make it more track focused in the future.

Also, during my research, I came across all sorts of bushings for the trans and diff which made my head explode. Are any of these a requirement?
Old 05-05-2017, 12:27 AM   #9
JAK_SPYRO

Quote:
In regards to engine and trans/diff mounts, are there any recommended ones? I have had a quick look to see what others are running and I have seen quite a few using whiteline/perrin. I was looking on ft86speedfactory, and came across this perrin/whiteline combo...

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/perr...l#.WQv6Delf2wk

In relation to diff mounts, I am leaning towards the STI ones. Mind you, initially the car will spend 90% of its time on the street, but do intend to make it more track focused in the future.

Also, during my research, I came across all sorts of bushings for the trans and diff which made my head explode. Are any of these a requirement?
I personally LOVE Perrin products. I am going Perrin for all the mounts and supports for the engine and trans. Also gonna replace the dif cover with the Cusco one. Also if the STI one fits I'd rather do that cause the STI can support more than 500 HP. For street the Perrin should be more than enough.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:44 AM   #10
arthur93

Quote:
I personally LOVE Perrin products. I am going Perrin for all the mounts and supports for the engine and trans. Also gonna replace the dif cover with the Cusco one. Also if the STI one fits I'd rather do that cause the STI can support more than 500 HP. For street the Perrin should be more than enough.

When you say I the STI ones fit, are you referring to the diff mounts? If so, wouldn't it be safe to assume they would fit if FT86SF have it on their site?
Old 05-05-2017, 01:13 AM   #11
JAK_SPYRO

Quote:
When you say I the STI ones fit, are you referring to the diff mounts? If so, wouldn't it be safe to assume they would fit if FT86SF have it on their site?
Oh shoot sorry I didn't realize they had it on the site I though you were assuming it'd fit! Yeah Perrin doesn't have a dif mount so the STI mount would definitely be my number one choice
Old 05-05-2017, 01:27 AM   #12
arthur93

Quote:
Oh shoot sorry I didn't realize they had it on the site I though you were assuming it'd fit! Yeah Perrin doesn't have a dif mount so the STI mount would definitely be my number one choice

What goals do you have for your car? Do you intend on the vehicle to spend most of its like on the streets? Do you intend on increasing the power beyond the 400whp in the future?

Personally I intend on staying around the 350 mark. Have heard plenty of people shearing 3/4 gears once heading up and above the 400 mark; especially with those running much grippier tyres.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:47 AM   #13
JAK_SPYRO

Quote:
What goals do you have for your car? Do you intend on the vehicle to spend most of its like on the streets? Do you intend on increasing the power beyond the 400whp in the future?

Personally I intend on staying around the 350 mark. Have heard plenty of people shearing 3/4 gears once heading up and above the 400 mark; especially with those running much grippier tyres.
I'm planning on a 400-450 mark or at least past 400. Getting a clutch kit with a light flywheel. I don't know what brand yet since I don't know the torque I'm gonna get. For the turbo kit I'm going with the FBM stage 1 Premium kit that's like $8,200. My car is just gonna be street and maybe like track once a month. For grip we're gonna need thicker tires like +8.5
Since the engine is coming out for a new shortblock and internals, I'm upgrading the engine mounts, cam cover, all lightweight pulleys, 550cc injectors, etc.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:06 AM   #14
arthur93

Are you worried about blowing axles and gearboxes?

Tags
internals, pistons, rods, short block, upgrade