follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-13-2021, 03:25 PM   #29
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm just gonna put it out there as I've found this to be one of the hardest things for clients over the last 8 years:
ROUTINE!

If you don't have a routine you will undulate and wonder and then eventually fall off. Yes diet is extremely important, more-so than exercise to a degree, but routine is how our bodies thrive. Even the smallest 'eh maybe I'll do a little less today.' or 'I'm just not feeling it' can impact your success. God forbid you throw in a random 'cheat meal'. Which I HATE that term. I call it a reward for hard work and success, but you can't just down a whole pizza.

Also no you don't need the hipster workouts or the bro shit where you think you need to be in the gym every single day. 3-5 days is enough as long as you're hitting everyone major muscle group 2x a week. If you wanna lose weight, deadlifts and squats are your friends. Not bicep curls and bench press; even if that's your main goal. Along with ample amounts of cardio. If you aren't a cardio bunny, weights are fine. I always try to throw in 1-2 days of cardio.

Obviously everyone takes exercise a different way so whether your into strength training and heavy lifting like I am, or like the HIIT or booty-camp classes, you will find your match. Just gotta experiment. It's always good to start with SMART(S) goals:
Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Relevant
Time-based
*Safe
I add safe as that's a grey area where one guy thinks sit ups are bad for you while another thinks they are perfectly fine.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Atmo (09-13-2021), Cephas (09-14-2021), Dadhawk (09-13-2021), Lantanafrs2 (09-13-2021), NoHaveMSG (09-13-2021), Spuds (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 03:33 PM   #30
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I walk/jog and eat a lot of protein. Rest is probably the most overlooked yet important part of this. I would recommend eggs, small salads, chicken (not rotisserie) and some fresh fruits. I drink black coffee (2 cups a day) and minimize intake of glycemic foods and sodium.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 03:47 PM   #31
Atmo

Drives: TBA
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've tried about every diet program you can name but I couldn't maintain any of them due to overly restrictive and sometimes unhealthy rules.

My main problem is that I like playing in the kitchen and trying to up my game centered around a Pacific Northwest menu of fresh, whole, local, organic foods, sauces and wines.

Even though I work out six days a week in a home gym, it's a struggle maintaining weight until I started using a simple calorie counting app ideal for omnivores. Until then I was fooling my self thinking that a wholesome diet and exercise was enough and WAY underestimated my caloric intake. After six months using the app I dropped into my target range and felt great. Notice past tense. I fell off the wagon thinking I don't need the app but portion sizes crept up so am back into the logging routine and with no other changes lose 2+ lbs./week.

I experience hunger while dieting so have frequent small snacks between meals and drink a glass of water when feeling hungry.

Plus I've cut back on wine, it wrecks progress, even one glass with dinner.

Here's the app. I only use the logging function and ignore the social blather. There are other similar, more granular apps but there's only so much time in a day.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (09-13-2021), NoHaveMSG (09-13-2021), weederr33 (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 03:50 PM   #32
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I'm just gonna put it out there as I've found this to be one of the hardest things for clients over the last 8 years:
ROUTINE!
This is my biggest issue. I broke my routine. Haven't been on a consistent schedule for a long time.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:21 PM   #33
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmo View Post
I've tried about every diet program you can name but I couldn't maintain any of them due to overly restrictive and sometimes unhealthy rules.

My main problem is that I like playing in the kitchen and trying to up my game centered around a Pacific Northwest menu of fresh, whole, local, organic foods, sauces and wines.

Even though I work out six days a week in a home gym, it's a struggle maintaining weight until I started using a simple calorie counting app ideal for omnivores. Until then I was fooling my self thinking that a wholesome diet and exercise was enough and WAY underestimated my caloric intake. After six months using the app I dropped into my target range and felt great. Notice past tense. I fell off the wagon thinking I don't need the app but portion sizes crept up so am back into the logging routine and with no other changes lose 2+ lbs./week.

I experience hunger while dieting so have frequent small snacks between meals and drink a glass of water when feeling hungry.

Plus I've cut back on wine, it wrecks progress, even one glass with dinner.

Here's the app. I only use the logging function and ignore the social blather. There are other similar, more granular apps but there's only so much time in a day.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/
Myfitnesspal is a great app and pretty useful. Plus it's free so it's not like you gotta pay a lot.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 09-13-2021, 04:21 PM   #34
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
This is my biggest issue. I broke my routine. Haven't been on a consistent schedule for a long time.
It's a common thing. People follow a routine and nothing changes and they get stagnant. Or they just bounce from one program to another because they get 'bored' and think that's how it should be.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 04:53 PM   #35
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I literally have to exercise because of my back and shoulder issues.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 05:31 PM   #36
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
It's a common thing. People follow a routine and nothing changes and they get stagnant. Or they just bounce from one program to another because they get 'bored' and think that's how it should be.
Hey Weeder. A quick question. I set up an account on myfitnesspal a while back and got frustrated trying input a exercise regimen. I would search the database for an exercise using the name I know it by and the app would return a "nothing found" message. I eventually gave up and ignored the app.

I took another look at it just now after reading the thread and am no closer to being able to make use of it than before. The app seems to spend lots of time trying to push you into the premium product. I'm sorry for being so dense, but can you recommend a good calorie consumption/burn counter/exercise log that isn't trying to sell me something?
Old 09-13-2021, 05:36 PM   #37
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
Hey Weeder. A quick question. I set up an account on myfitnesspal a while back and got frustrated trying input a exercise regimen. I would search the database for an exercise using the name I know it by and the app would return a "nothing found" message. I eventually gave up and ignored the app.

I took another look at it just now after reading the thread and am no closer to being able to make use of it than before. The app seems to spend lots of time trying to push you into the premium product. I'm sorry for being so dense, but can you recommend a good calorie consumption/burn counter/exercise log that isn't trying to sell me something?
You know... I actually don't use the exercise log. I care more about the diet and then do it the oldschool way of just logging my exercise in the books. THEN I track my calories during workouts with my Polar watch and deduct or adjust my intake accordingly.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 06:01 PM   #38
Atmo

Quote:
You know... I actually don't use the exercise log. I care more about the diet and then do it the oldschool way of just logging my exercise in the books. THEN I track my calories during workouts with my Polar watch and deduct or adjust my intake accordingly.
I search online for calorie burns on the cardio machines, free-weights and calisthenics routines and set up custom entries on myfitnesspal in a few minutes. I don't get any upsell notices but am running a few ad blockers that take care of most everything.

With weekend enhanced menus I just add cardio time to burn off the excess and the fitness scale shows that it works.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:09 PM   #39
Atmo

Weederr, how much emphasis do you put on stretching or yoga? I used to stretch after every home workout and then do yoga on the rest day at the local gym inspired by female yogasuits, but that ended 18 months ago with the restrictions.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:30 PM   #40
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Weederr, how much emphasis do you put on stretching or yoga? I used to stretch after every home workout and then do yoga on the rest day at the local gym inspired by female yogasuits, but that ended 18 months ago with the restrictions.
Stretching is important. More when someone is older (idk how old you are) since range of motion is crucial to exercise. I know there are trainers out there that go on and on about how you don't need to stretch. I call BS. If you get into a squat and can't go down or it's 'uncomfortable' then you are probably tight. If you find yourself feeling out of balance or unable to move through what should be normal ranges, you need to stretch.

As for yoga, eh it's not my thing. I did acro yoga a few times with a girl I liked. Otherwise if you enjoy it, you can get quite a bit of stretching. I would not call it exercise however.... But then again, as our wonderful race instructor on the Brembo thread called me, I'm a gym rat.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Atmo (09-13-2021), Dzmitry (09-20-2021), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (09-13-2021), x808drifter (09-14-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 08:16 PM   #41
Atmo

Quote:
Stretching is important. More when someone is older (idk how old you are) since range of motion is crucial to exercise. I know there are trainers out there that go on and on about how you don't need to stretch. I call BS. If you get into a squat and can't go down or it's 'uncomfortable' then you are probably tight. If you find yourself feeling out of balance or unable to move through what should be normal ranges, you need to stretch.

As for yoga, eh it's not my thing. I did acro yoga a few times with a girl I liked. Otherwise if you enjoy it, you can get quite a bit of stretching. I would not call it exercise however.... But then again, as our wonderful race instructor on the Brembo thread called me, I'm a gym rat.
Interesting flexibility markers you mentioned. I guess my range of motion is OK, I don't have a problem with Burpees besides grinding through them, and I work on balance with a BOSU ball in the mix.

Yeah, I didn't last long in the group yoga class. It was a bit intimidating with about 30 women and me in a sea of estrogen. Although Downward Dog was fascinating.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:19 PM   #42
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Interesting flexibility markers you mentioned. I guess my range of motion is OK, I don't have a problem with Burpees besides grinding through them, and I work on balance with a BOSU ball in the mix.

Yeah, I didn't last long in the group yoga class. It was a bit intimidating with about 30 women and me in a sea of estrogen. Although Downward Dog was fascinating.
I'm sure your ROM could always be better. I know mine could. Especially to maximize the fun of burpees!!

Also fuck bosu ball balance shit. *sarcasm*

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT