follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2020, 09:14 AM   #1
Chuckable

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
CQuartz vs Avalon King

Anyone have experience with these? In particular ease of application and durability?

Have never used ceramic before, though I’ve detailed a few dozen cars. I’m located in a hot and humid climate so interested in flash time.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuckable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:02 AM   #2
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,114 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I've used Cquartz but not Avalon king. It was easy to use and should last around 2 years depending on how it's cared for.
I've also used optimum gloss coat. It's currently on my car and used with hyper-seal as a dry-aid.

Consider grabbing Carpro reload with Cquartz(or the accompanying topper for Avalon king) as a maintenance product. It will keep the resin on the coating in peak condition.

Humid conditions you reference the shorter flash time.
I'd start by testing on a lower panel section first to see how it flashes.

Avalon king application instructions suggest a flash time from 1-5 minutes depending on temperature. In your case it'll be a short flash time around 1 minute.

https://avalonking.com/blog/how-to-a...ramic-coating/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon application instructions
#5 – Once you’ve applied the coating to the full section, let it sit between 1 to 5 minutes (based on the temperature range listed below). After the required wait time, you’ll proceed to the final phase of buffing.

Temperature Range

50-degrees F (10-degrees C)

60-degrees F (15-degrees C)

70 to 80 degrees F (20-25 degrees C)

Length of Time

4 to 5 minutes

2 to 3 minutes

1 minute

Cquartz UK 3.0 is around 2-4 minute flash time.
https://www.carpro-us.com/protection...-3-0-30ml-kit/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cquartz application tips
- If coating is applied thick then the coating will take longer to flash. If applied thin it will flash faster. Hot temps will cause it to flash faster, cold temps will cause it to flash slower. Air movement will cause it to flash faster.

- When it starts to flash you will see colors that will make the coating look like a rainbow or oil slick. You will see hints of blue, purple, red, and yellow.
Remove too soon and it will be oily with no grab to it when wiping. If you wipe off too soon it will not give the coating a chance to bond.

- Remove too late and it becomes hard to remove.
The time to remove is when you feel just a little push back or "grab" against your towel but it is not difficult to remove and it is no longer oily. It may leave some streaks at first but with the second wipe of a fresh clean side of the towel, the streaks should wipe off and the paint should be nice and clear.
If it becomes hard to remove, you can quickly go over it with more product and immediately remove it. Usually that is enough if you are just slightly slow on removing the excess product.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Chuckable (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 12:17 PM   #3
Chuckable

Thank you for the thorough reply. I have been reading through the instructions and reviews, but it’s always good to hear real world results.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #4
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
you can save a huge amount if you use devin niemelas discount if you decide to go avalon king. search him on youtube for the code, it cuts the price of one bottle in half i think. ive purchased avalon king before, im sure its no different from any other ceramic coat. unless you want to get the good good stuff that only authorized shops can get/install, think its call opticoat.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
Chuckable

Appreciate that tip. I’m leaning toward CQuartz at this point but still looking at reviews.