follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2022, 01:15 PM   #15
brzperson

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
WTF... You said "change the clutch," not "take apart the transmission." Of course you have to drain it if you're going to take it apart.

Better de-grease and seal the new front cover with the right stuff if you don't want it to leak.
I didnt take the trans apart lol just reolaced the bearing retainer cover, which was definitely completely shot, and im glad i bought one.
It was not only squealing, but had so much scoring, that i could feel it when running just my fingertips over it.

I got the oem toyota specific sealant for that cover, and the correct sealant equivalent. Even cleaned the sealant off the old bolts.

In any case, since i did the rear main seal, im afraid of the "cover" for that seal now being off.
I heard that the crank sensor looks for a specific location on that cover.

When looking at it, there was nothing special about it that i saw. It just looked like an intermediary cover between the flywheel and the engine.

Should i be worried about the position of that cover?
brzperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 02:23 PM   #16
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,512 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzperson View Post
Should i be worried about the position of that cover?
That's not a cover. Its informally called a 'tone wheel,' and is what the crankshaft position sensor reads. If you mounted it with the teeth facing away from the engine, it's mounted backward. The teeth face in so the proximity sensor can read them.

Link to the service manuals is in my sig line. I strongly suggest reading up on the procedure.
Old 04-04-2022, 02:44 PM   #17
brzperson

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Im pretty sure i put the reluctor wheel on right, but maybe not.
I usually line things up with holes and divots if possible, and it stayed on while i went to place the dlywheel.

This is ehat im talking about.

Roughly 3:45 mark.

In either case, i put the starter ground in the wrong place.
And now i have to wait on a new starter.

I hope i dont have to pull the trans again juat to change ge the orientation of that wheel.
But this will likely not be the last clutch i ever do, and i also have to put new mtec springs in there

Is matching rpm to the scanner reading the best eay to determine if its in there correctly?

I know therrs an engine peephole, but
That is likely to only tell me if its on bsckwards or not, not if the orientation is correct, and ibam 99.8% positive that i didnt put it on backwards.

Its really quite a simple, but time consuming job, but all of the guides mever mention the reluctor wheel, which can fall off very easily even if your intention is to change only the clutch and flywheel.

Maybe it can be a sticky in the forum?
Apparently its not even a thing on the EJ motors, so anyone can miss it, even experienced people, inless you know the exact fa20 layout, and a clutch job is pretty common, both for upgrade and maintanence reasons.

Last edited by brzperson; 04-04-2022 at 04:06 PM.
brzperson is offline   Reply With Quote