follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Skin

Drives: '98 VW GTI VR6; '68 Dodge Polara
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
First Post - First Drive - First Love

So I pre-ordered a BRZ the 1st week. Been hounding my dealer and SOA for months now. Finally they tell me last week: "Great news!! We now have a clear picture of when it's coming in....the month of November"!

Cancelled the Subaru.

Searched the country and no BRZ LTD black MT anywhere. Switched to search for a FRS. Found a Raven MT in Dayton. Rented a car, drove down there today and bought the sucker!

The test drive lasted a 1/4 mile. Low torque, low schmork! That was my biggest worry! Coming from a GTI VR6 I need my torque. Well this FRS surprised me. Screw the reviews and all the haters. I drove this car for 3 hours home with a damn smile plastered on my face. I was a tad sore when I finally got out in my driveway though

Handles like a dream. Plenty of power. No worries at all!

To be fair though, I will list what, after 3 hours, annoyed me: the Fisher-Price climate knobs, the stupid stickers on the visors, the stock radio and the 1983 LED clock. Oh and I think the felt seats might annoy me too, not sure though...

So I am unsubscribing to the BRZ forum and am parking my Deetroit arse right here.

Who would ever thought I would own a Scion....and love it!
Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin View Post
So I pre-ordered a BRZ the 1st week. Been hounding my dealer and SOA for months now. Finally they tell me last week: "Great news!! We now have a clear picture of when it's coming in....the month of November"!

Cancelled the Subaru.

Searched the country and no BRZ LTD black MT anywhere. Switched to search for a FRS. Found a Raven MT in Dayton. Rented a car, drove down there today and bought the sucker!

The test drive lasted a 1/4 mile. Low torque, low schmork! That was my biggest worry! Coming from a GTI VR6 I need my torque. Well this FRS surprised me. Screw the reviews and all the haters. I drove this car for 3 hours home with a damn smile plastered on my face. I was a tad sore when I finally got out in my driveway though

Handles like a dream. Plenty of power. No worries at all!

To be fair though, I will list what, after 3 hours, annoyed me: the Fisher-Price climate knobs, the stupid stickers on the visors, the stock radio and the 1983 LED clock. Oh and I think the felt seats might annoy me too, not sure though...

So I am unsubscribing to the BRZ forum and am parking my Deetroit arse right here.

Who would ever thought I would own a Scion....and love it!
Congrats!

There are actually higher-end climate knobs available, and the clock/radio is an easy upgrade as well. The stickers on the visors are there in some form on all cars...so not much you can do about that...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
wallace03

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Congrats!

Their are actually higher-end climate knobs available, and the clock/radio is an easy upgrade as well. The stickers on the visors are there in some form on all cars...so not much you can do about that...
any links or pics of the knobs, and clock upgrade?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
killa.sushi.robot

Drives: 12 Sienna Se, FR-S Asphalt 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace03 View Post
any links or pics of the knobs, and clock upgrade?
Every time I look at my FR-S' clock, i feel like came from the AE86.... i laugh every time, i thought about that the moment i drove it of the lot.

Last edited by killa.sushi.robot; 07-09-2012 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Bad Grammer
killa.sushi.robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
Shinji2787

Drives: '85 AE86 Sprinter Trueno
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killa.sushi.robot View Post
Every time I look at my FR-S' clock, i feel like came from the AE86.... i laugh every time, i thought about that the moment i drove it of the lot.
The AE86 clock is green.
Shinji2787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #6
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Congrats, OP... I feel many people may be in the same boat. The BRZ's limited availabilty and premium charges on top of MSRP from several dealers are leading clients (much like myself) to turn to essentially the same vehicle... The FR-S.

I never expected to ever own a Scion either... But the damn car just feels that good in wanting to own.

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
killa.sushi.robot

Drives: 12 Sienna Se, FR-S Asphalt 6MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji2787 View Post
The AE86 clock is green.

I did not know that... I'm just saying it looks like it is from 1989.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
killa.sushi.robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I kinda dig the old school clock...
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Oh, I'm with you on the visors.
I can live with the climate control knobs...I don't touch them much.
Changing the setting on the radio from the default TC to FR-S does help some, but yeah, I'm pretty much with you on this one as well. I can live with it for a while, as the car itself has a pretty cool soundtrack. I often find myself turning the radio DOWN, and listening to the car.
The seats are nice and the material is grippy... Me arse doesn't move around as much as it does in the Mustang. I like the red stitching, but the red accents don't really do it for me. Maybe because my car is blue, but meh.
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote