follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-18-2022, 07:45 PM   #15
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re_Invention View Post
As far as this thread goes - folks on facebook that track the Gen 2 regularly are changing out trans fluid often and finding it the fluid is breaking down quickly and leading to subpar shift action. Some food for thought. Maybe a trans cooler would be a good upgrade? Is that something the first gen cars have?
What Facebook group is this? Just want to check it out.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:51 AM   #16
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re_Invention View Post
As far as this thread goes - folks on facebook that track the Gen 2 regularly are changing out trans fluid often and finding it the fluid is breaking down quickly and leading to subpar shift action. Some food for thought. Maybe a trans cooler would be a good upgrade? Is that something the first gen cars have?
No different from the first gen.

There are no kits that I know of, but you could piece one together.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:15 PM   #17
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
What Facebook group is this? Just want to check it out.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1016306942549614
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Re_Invention For This Useful Post:
Blighty (05-20-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 09:30 PM   #18
joro2

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium MT (DGM)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Went for a routine oil change today @ 21K on my 2017 BRZ; which turned out to be less than routine
The dealer mentioned a few additional items needing service, some which made sense and others not so much.
- Battery failed load test; reasonable, given that the BRZ is 66 months old and still on the original battery; went for the new battery (competitively priced).
- New tires; yeah, they're 5.5. years old and have 21K miles, but I feel confident I can safely go one more oil change interval before shopping tires (another topic, i.e. new tires). DECLINED.
- Here's one I never heard of and didn't find in the factory maintenance schedule:
"Alignment and fuel induction service" -- What is that? Did they mean a standard wheel alignment AND some kind of fuel service? Or is "alignment" part of the fuel service? DECLINED.

And finally, my question:
Was told I should replace the manual transmission fluid and the rear diff fluid. Looks like they also did a rear diff BG flush. I found ambiguous factory info on this, some say 30K miles, other text entries say every 4 years (regardless of mileage), which is it?
From new the BRZ was notchy, for the first ~5-7K sometimes finicky until warmed up. And remained notchy, once in a while not slipping as smoothly into gear as I'd like, but still always one of the better manuals I've ever owned.
Short story I said yes to both (diff and trans fluid change). Immediately was feeling remorse, only at 21K, etc. But do admit shifting was noticeably smoother after the service (and hope it stays that way, always a great shifting experience it was even better today after the service).

So, ripped off? I know, dealer is always a rip off (although as I said these services all seemed competitively priced). What's your opinion on the trans/diff fluid change at 5.5 years/21K miles? And what is that "alignment and fuel induction service"?
joro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:26 PM   #19
joro2

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium MT (DGM)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
recommended by service interval (not sure what that is).
Ha, same. And why I just posted my reservations about changing the transmission and rear diff fluids today @ 66 months/21K miles. Although, as I said, in the 40 miles I rode after the service shifting seemed noticeably smoother (always notchy in a great way but after the fluid changes slightly more smooth and less reluctant to slip into gear).
joro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 11:53 PM   #20
MD86_Chris

Drives: 2014 FRS, 2020 Tacoma, 2000 Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sds View Post
I too was surprised by the amount of movement in the shift lever. Adding a stiffer transmission mount (STi) solved most of that, and ended up improving shift quality by a noticeable amount.
Did the previous get sit trans mount fit?
MD86_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 10:12 PM   #21
Mcgiiver

Drives: 2022 BRZ Premium, 2009 Toyota Tacom
The spec in the owners manual says 75w LV, that tells you nothing about the viscosity at operating temperature, so I sent the following to Subaru on Sept 30 and have yet to get a reply. I did get a case number assigned to my inquiry.
"Subject: manual transmission oil
Comments: I own a 2022 BRZ and want to change the manual transmission oil. The owners manual specifies GL-4, 75W LV oil. Trans oils are usually specified like 75W-80, 75W-85, 75W-90, with the second number being the viscosity at 100 degrees C. No 100 degree viscosity is given in the manual. I would like to know what is the recommended 100 degree viscosity so I may purchase an oil that meets Subaru specifications. The Toyota recommended 75W LV oil is insanely expensive so I want to use an aftermarket equivalent, but I need the specification. "
Mcgiiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 10:55 PM   #22
Mcgiiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by joro2 View Post
Went for a routine oil change today @ 21K on my 2017 BRZ; which turned out to be less than routine
The dealer mentioned a few additional items needing service, some which made sense and others not so much.
- Battery failed load test; reasonable, given that the BRZ is 66 months old and still on the original battery; went for the new battery (competitively priced).
- New tires; yeah, they're 5.5. years old and have 21K miles, but I feel confident I can safely go one more oil change interval before shopping tires (another topic, i.e. new tires). DECLINED.
- Here's one I never heard of and didn't find in the factory maintenance schedule:
"Alignment and fuel induction service" -- What is that? Did they mean a standard wheel alignment AND some kind of fuel service? Or is "alignment" part of the fuel service? DECLINED.

And finally, my question:
Was told I should replace the manual transmission fluid and the rear diff fluid. Looks like they also did a rear diff BG flush. I found ambiguous factory info on this, some say 30K miles, other text entries say every 4 years (regardless of mileage), which is it?
From new the BRZ was notchy, for the first ~5-7K sometimes finicky until warmed up. And remained notchy, once in a while not slipping as smoothly into gear as I'd like, but still always one of the better manuals I've ever owned.
Short story I said yes to both (diff and trans fluid change). Immediately was feeling remorse, only at 21K, etc. But do admit shifting was noticeably smoother after the service (and hope it stays that way, always a great shifting experience it was even better today after the service).

So, ripped off? I know, dealer is always a rip off (although as I said these services all seemed competitively priced). What's your opinion on the trans/diff fluid change at 5.5 years/21K miles? And what is that "alignment and fuel induction service"?
I was at a Volvo Service Dept one time and on their services pricing sign on the wall it said "Exhaust Service $95" , not sure what an exhaust service is, maybe cleaning soot off the tailpipe.
Old 10-17-2022, 03:34 AM   #23
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgiiver View Post
The spec in the owners manual says 75w LV, that tells you nothing about the viscosity at operating temperature, so I sent the following to Subaru on Sept 30 and have yet to get a reply. I did get a case number assigned to my inquiry.
That tell you EXACTLY what the viscosity will be at operating temp.
You know how oils work right?
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 05:24 AM   #24
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
I have 81k on original tranny fluid. Recently changed rear end fluid.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 06:31 AM   #25
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
That tell you EXACTLY what the viscosity will be at operating temp.
You know how oils work right?
So is it 75w-80, 75w-85, 75w-90 or maybe 75w-140?
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 06:39 AM   #26
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
First number is the weight, second number is level of protection
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:30 AM   #27
KillerBMotorsport

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Nothing exciting to add here except that our unit's trans is very different from cold-to-warm. When cold it's got more noise, notchy, and difficult. Not so much when warm/hot.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 10:30 AM   #28
Mcgiiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
First number is the weight, second number is level of protection
Not exactly. The number before the W is the viscosity at low temperature, the number after the W is the viscosity at normal operating temperature. The second number is not an indicator of the level of protection.