follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-04-2022, 08:40 PM   #1
Jynx

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Code p0441

hey guys, i have had this code for awhile and this last weekend i changed the purge solenoid, gas cap and checked my lines and after driving it again for a little bit, same code. P0441. Im actually lost on what else to do with it. Maybe an electrical short? im not sure but this weekend im gonna check all my lines again and spray water on them to see if maybe one is cracked but im pretty sure those are all good. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else it could be? car is not tuned, completely stock engine and stock ECU. any ideas/help would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

2013 BRZ
Jynx
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 10:10 AM   #2
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by demasrv View Post
Check your PCV valve? I know those can get stuck. You might be able to get away with just cleaning it up they're pretty cheap. That hose could've come loose too--I don't think it comes with a hose clamp but when I replaced my shortblock I put one on it.. Unfortunately you'll need to pull the intake manifold to get to it.

Explain what the PCV valve has to do with the EVAP.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 06:50 PM   #3
Jynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post

literally what i was thinking. I'm pretty sure that's not connected to the evap system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2022, 10:25 AM   #4
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,310 Times in 996 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Couple of questions:
Is the car modified?
Are you the original owner?

This is definitely an Evap system code, if you answered "Yes" to either of the questions above check the ECM wiring first. ECM is located behind the glove box against the passenger side A pillar. Look for loose wires in the ECM harness. I've seen previously modified cars that had taps into the harness connectors that were either shorted out, or loose that caused this code.

If the ECM wiring is fine check the following components as each can cause the code:
• Purge VSV (This is located under the intake manifold on the driver's side, it is blue & black, make sure the connector is plugged in securely and the wires are good, check that both purge lines are connected securely.
• Purge lines (These are the lines connected to the VSV, make sure they are connected securely on both ends and have no leaks or cuts).
• Connector/Wiring harness (Purge VSV - ECM) (As mentioned previously, check these harnesses & connections)
• Leakage from the EVAP system (may need to have this taken to a shop to perform a smoke test on the EVAP system to make sure there are no leaks.)
• ECM Issue (worst case, needs an ECM)
humfrz (05-11-2022), Ultramaroon (05-11-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 02:55 PM   #5
demasrv

Drives: 2013 Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post

Oh it definitely doesn't have anything to do with it. I thought I was replying to someone about a rough idle/vacuum leak.
demasrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:18 PM   #6
Jynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
Couple of questions:
Is the car modified?

This is definitely an Evap system code, if you answered "Yes" to either of the questions above check the ECM wiring first. ECM is located behind the glove box against the passenger side A pillar. Look for loose wires in the ECM harness. I've seen previously modified cars that had taps into the harness connectors that were either shorted out, or loose that caused this code.

If the ECM wiring is fine check the following components as each can cause the code:
• Purge VSV (This is located under the intake manifold on the driver's side, it is blue & black, make sure the connector is plugged in securely and the wires are good, check that both purge lines are connected securely.
• Purge lines (These are the lines connected to the VSV, make sure they are connected securely on both ends and have no leaks or cuts).
• Connector/Wiring harness (Purge VSV - ECM) (As mentioned previously, check these harnesses & connections)
• Leakage from the EVAP system (may need to have this taken to a shop to perform a smoke test on the EVAP system to make sure there are no leaks.)

just a widebody kit and slammed. no engine mods and I'm not so it kinda sucks but i had another mechanic look at it and the computer is still saying it won't close, its just stuck open which i don't understand. there is a brand new purge valve in there and it's still getting stuck. i tried looking for shorts and i didn't see anything so I'm completely lost at this point. I'll look at the ECM and see if anything is lose. thanks for the help

Old 05-12-2022, 10:05 PM   #7
Jynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
Couple of questions:
Is the car modified?

just checked ECM. nothing is hanging off it or unplugged etc. looks all normal and definitely has never been touched.

Old 05-13-2022, 09:58 AM   #8
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Are you absolutely sure that you don't have a vacuum leak?
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:44 AM   #9
Jynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
Are you absolutely sure that you don't have a vacuum leak?

people don't even bother to look because they watch the purge valve on the computer and say its not closing. its just constantly open so they don't bother which absolutely pisses me off because they think I'm an idiot and I'm not. if i had the damn tools id do it myself

Old 05-13-2022, 01:07 PM   #10
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Can you bench test the purge valve by blowing (or sucking if you're feeling kinky) through it with and then with out current applied to the terminals? Being an electronics noob, I don't know how the car's ecm "knows" whether the valve is open or closed. Does it assume it's open when current is applied or does it monitor changes in vacuum.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:52 PM   #11
Jynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
Can you bench test the purge valve by blowing (or sucking if you're feeling kinky) through it with and then with out current applied to the terminals? Being an electronics noob, I don't know how the car's ecm "knows" whether the valve is open or closed. Does it assume it's open when current is applied or does it monitor changes in vacuum.

i did that with new and old one. both where closed with no power and open with power. ECM could be fucked but it's stock. i also get a u0155 code if i use cruise control so maybe a bad ecu? im not really sure

The Following User Says Thank You to Jynx For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (05-14-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 08:38 PM   #12
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Do you have anything plugged into the obd2 port? Gotta ask.

Also, being slammed, unless you have bags, you're shaking the piss out of everything way more than stock. Might be onto something with the connector/short thing. Maybe.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:39 PM   #13
Jynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Do you have anything plugged into the obd2 port? Gotta ask.

no sir, never have never will. still get u0155. i literally have like the 2 IMPOSSIBLE codes

Old 05-13-2022, 09:11 PM   #14
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
no sir, never have never will. still get u0155. i literally have like the 2 IMPOSSIBLE codes
It is weird. Have you tried rebooting (or whatever it's called) the ECU by disconnecting the battery and stepping on the brake for a couple seconds? Did your battery voltage drop just before it started happening?