follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2022, 01:59 PM   #1
Jfheisenberg

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series Blue WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Help figuring out my brake problem

Hi everyone - Im having a problem with my brakes on my BRZ.

When i press the brakes the car vibrates, i can feel the vibration on the brake pedal, on the steering wheel and even passengers can feel this vibration. The more high speed braking i do, the more the vibration i notice.

At low speeds, i can feel some tapping on the brake pedal during braking, but there is no vibrations.

Tires/wheels are new, and were mount/balanced. Today i replaced the front rotors and pads thinking my old rotors could warped. Issue is still there, same vibration when pressing the brakes and even worse when braking at high speeds.

Any suggestions what could be?
Jfheisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 02:13 PM   #2
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rear rotors would be my next guess.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
AJ32162 (04-04-2022), jflogerzi (04-21-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 02:24 PM   #3
Jfheisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Rear rotors would be my next guess.
How the rear rotors affect the front, i dont understand this part. The mechanic was thinking the wheel hub, but that is very rare case
Old 04-04-2022, 03:05 PM   #4
86league

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfheisenberg View Post
Hi everyone - Im having a problem with my brakes on my BRZ.

When i press the brakes the car vibrates, i can feel the vibration on the brake pedal, on the steering wheel and even passengers can feel this vibration. The more high speed braking i do, the more the vibration i notice.

At low speeds, i can feel some tapping on the brake pedal during braking, but there is no vibrations.

Tires/wheels are new, and were mount/balanced. Today i replaced the front rotors and pads thinking my old rotors could warped. Issue is still there, same vibration when pressing the brakes and even worse when braking at high speeds.

Any suggestions what could be?
I recently had a similar issue. It turned out to be the hub. I replaced rotors/pads and the problem was still there. Replaced the hub/wheel bearing and the vibration/brake shudder went away. The Subaru parts guy commented that they had been seeing a LOT of wheel hubs going through their department lately.

Mine got worse with repeated/increased braking (increased brake/hub temperature?).

I can't say it is the hub in your case, but I'm not sure I'd discount it either. Mine didn't show any of the typical signs of a failure (noise/play).
86league is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86league For This Useful Post:
Jfheisenberg (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 03:18 PM   #5
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
How the rear rotors affect the front, i dont understand this part. The mechanic was thinking the wheel hub, but that is very rare case
Ignore that.
Didn't even think about the steering part.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 03:22 PM   #6
Jfheisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86league View Post
I recently had a similar issue. It turned out to be the hub. I replaced rotors/pads and the problem was still there. Replaced the hub/wheel bearing and the vibration/brake shudder went away. The Subaru parts guy commented that they had been seeing a LOT of wheel hubs going through their department lately.

Mine got worse with repeated/increased braking (increased brake/hub temperature?).

I can't say it is the hub in your case, but I'm not sure I'd discount it either. Mine didn't show any of the typical signs of a failure (noise/play).
Did you replaced only the front driver side wheel hub? Did you use OEM parts?

In my case, the vibrations are getting worse by day, i try to drive slow and brake slowly in the meantime if i have to use the car.
Old 04-04-2022, 04:49 PM   #7
86league

Quote:
Did you replaced only the front driver side wheel hub? Did you use OEM parts?

In my case, the vibrations are getting worse by day, i try to drive slow and brake slowly in the meantime if i have to use the car.
At first I did only replace the front/drivers side as it seemed to be the most obvious problem. I used a hub from a local auto parts store, not OEM. Necessary since I did the swap at 9PM on a Saturday.

On Monday, I called Subaru of America and they gave me a $500 parts/service credit which covered 2 new OEM hubs, so I replaced the passenger side as well.

The Subaru parts counter guy did half joke that I might be better off leaving the parts store brand hub on the car.
Old 04-04-2022, 05:22 PM   #8
Jfheisenberg

Quote:

Quote:
At first I did only replace the front/drivers side as it seemed to be the most obvious problem. I used a hub from a local auto parts store, not OEM. Necessary since I did the swap at 9PM on a Saturday.

On Monday, I called Subaru of America and they gave me a $500 parts/service credit which covered 2 new OEM hubs, so I replaced the passenger side as well.

The Subaru parts counter guy did half joke that I might be better off leaving the parts store brand hub on the car.
So you fixed by replacing all 4 wheel hubs? Im thinking on just buying the front wheel hubs like this one

Or would you recommend aftermarket ones instead
Old 04-04-2022, 05:52 PM   #9
86league

Quote:
So you fixed by replacing all 4 wheel hubs? Im thinking on just buying the front wheel hubs like this one

Or would you recommend aftermarket ones instead
My issue went away with replacing just the one front hub. I don't think there was really anything wrong with the passenger side front hub, but I got the parts for free, so I replaced it anyway. I had a rear hub fail at 12,500 miles and this front hub "failed" at 15,000 miles. I just didn't have much faith in the original hub and preferred to replace it for peace of mind.

I can't speak to the quality of aftermarket vs. OEM. Sorry. The link you sent is the same part # I put on my car.

https://parts.ewingsubaruofplano.com...8373CA000.html
The Following User Says Thank You to 86league For This Useful Post:
Jfheisenberg (04-04-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 05:07 PM   #10
Jfheisenberg

I replaced the front driver side wheel hub and part of the problem went away.

The other problem was my rear rotors, the inner side of the rotors were falling apart. It was tricky because the outer side of the rear rotor looked fine, but all the signs pointed at the rear rotors so they were replaced.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:50 PM   #11
Joon525

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Quote:
I replaced the front driver side wheel hub and part of the problem went away.

The other problem was my rear rotors, the inner side of the rotors were falling apart. It was tricky because the outer side of the rear rotor looked fine, but all the signs pointed at the rear rotors so they were replaced.
Can you elaborate on that? Was it so worn down it that there was barely any metal left?
Joon525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 01:49 PM   #12
Jfheisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joon525 View Post
Can you elaborate on that? Was it so worn down it that there was barely any metal left?

Old 04-20-2022, 06:54 PM   #13
SCFD

Drives: FR-S
I don't think I've seen rotors wear like that before. What was the brand of the rotors?
SCFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:08 PM   #14
Jfheisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFD View Post
I don't think I've seen rotors wear like that before. What was the brand of the rotors?
Stop tech, lasted < 2 years