follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-01-2021, 12:14 AM   #4103
timurrrr
Senior Member
 
timurrrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Drives: 2022 GR86 Neptune, 2017 BRZ with PP
Location: Between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Posts: 1,520
Thanks: 1,909
Thanked 1,091 Times in 629 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova.86 View Post
I got Tein Mono Sports coilovers, once I find a good shop that can install them and do corner balancing followed by an alignment, is there a specific set-up I should ask for ? I am looking for a street focused set-up with spirited driving and minimal track sessions a year. I've heard I should have more of a drop in the front, and as well as from others to have more of a drop in the rear, and some that say equal drop on front and rear. I'm a noob in customizable coils and am just wondering what's a good set-up to ask for for what I'm looking for. Thanks in advanced.
If you can find the original TEIN manual, a good starting point would be the recommended settings.
After you drive the car for a few months and decide what exactly you need to change from the recommended settings, you should be able to ask a more specific question.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:51 AM   #4104
Racecomp Engineering
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 5,040
Thanks: 3,032
Thanked 6,707 Times in 2,711 Posts
Mentioned: 288 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
Hey I got a question for @Racecomp_Engineering. I have the RCE Yellows/B6 kit, and like it quite a lot. A couple weeks ago, I randomly had a couple hundred pounds of stuff in the trunk, and was surprised at how much more settled and smooth the car felt.

That got me thinking. In a car with a pretty significant front weight bias, why the square spring setup? The rear of this car has always been a little nervous/flighty (especially over our junk pavement around here). Seems like it'd make sense to make the rear more compliant, but I'm not a suspension engineer.
The motion ratio influences spring rate choice as BlueWhelan said and controls how stiff your springs are "at the wheels" (or wheel rate). There's more to choosing spring rates and you have to balance grip, compliance, response, body roll, etc.

More here on motion ratios:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3cDzqOD..._web_copy_link

Adding a bunch of weight to the rear lowers the rear natural frequency, which makes your rear suspension feel softer.

More here on suspension frequencies:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6TKG6Un..._web_copy_link

- Andrew
__________________
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Cephas (11-01-2021), EAGLE5 (11-02-2021), RToyo86 (12-31-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 11:04 AM   #4105
Racecomp Engineering
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 5,040
Thanks: 3,032
Thanked 6,707 Times in 2,711 Posts
Mentioned: 288 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova.86 View Post
I got Tein Mono Sports coilovers, once I find a good shop that can install them and do corner balancing followed by an alignment, is there a specific set-up I should ask for ? I am looking for a street focused set-up with spirited driving and minimal track sessions a year. I've heard I should have more of a drop in the front, and as well as from others to have more of a drop in the rear, and some that say equal drop on front and rear. I'm a noob in customizable coils and am just wondering what's a good set-up to ask for for what I'm looking for. Thanks in advanced.
If you're talking to a good suspension shop that knows these cars, they'll want to know what kind of tires you use, what type of driving you do, any other suspension mods, and so on. A really good shop will properly set bump vs droop travel on your coilovers since they have separate ride height and preload adjustability.

In terms of drop, a 1 inch drop front and rear is a safe place to start. I personally would destroy my bumper with a -1.5 inch drop but that isn't necessarily better from a handling standpoint anyway.

For damper settings, start soft and work your way up. Impossible to say from here which damper clicks will be best for you but in general most people are too stiff. Some compliance is good even on track. Learn what the clicks do and don't change (for example, stiffer damper settings do NOT mean less mid-corner body roll).

An completely optimized alignment depends on your tire choice and ideally for a track car is dialed in with testing and tire temp probes. Probably not what you need, so ball park for a fun backroads street car is 0 toe all around (or a tiny bit of rear toe in), -2.0 degrees camber front and -1.75 degrees camber rear. Don't worry about anything else.

The Tein manual might give a good starting point for damper settings. Like timurrrrrr said, revisit everything in a few months and evaluate how it feels. Take notes too.

- Andrew
__________________
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:32 AM   #4106
Stonehorsw
Senior Member
 
Stonehorsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Location: Michigan
Posts: 522
Thanks: 827
Thanked 344 Times in 203 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What the main differences are related to coilover design between gen1 and 2? Should we expect a significant departure on spring rates?
Scenarios:
1. Daily driver - GT type setup
2. Track car - original aero in both vehicles
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:49 PM   #4107
RedReplicant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: None
Location: Arizona
Posts: 247
Thanks: 227
Thanked 182 Times in 94 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Picked up a car yesterday, car pulls right traveling down a normal road. On the brakes and the car seems to straighten out, on medium-heavy throttle the car pulls left (supercharged) and then goes back right when letting off throttle.

Toe plates show basically 0 toe front and rear and neither side looks odd. Swapped the rear tires side to side and it acts the same as before. What should I check first? Car has SPL arms everywhere in the rear other than UCA, OS Giken diff, Salasko subframe / diff mounts.
__________________
2016 Subaru BRZ - Hyperblue #064
2015 Subaru BRZ - Crystal White - ST/TT - K24 Swapped
RedReplicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 02:12 AM   #4108
marco_mc22
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Drives: Toyota 86
Location: Italy
Posts: 84
Thanks: 30
Thanked 33 Times in 29 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
Picked up a car yesterday, car pulls right traveling down a normal road. On the brakes and the car seems to straighten out, on medium-heavy throttle the car pulls left (supercharged) and then goes back right when letting off throttle.

Toe plates show basically 0 toe front and rear and neither side looks odd. Swapped the rear tires side to side and it acts the same as before. What should I check first? Car has SPL arms everywhere in the rear other than UCA, OS Giken diff, Salasko subframe / diff mounts.
You may have something loose if it changes drastically behaviour from under to off throttle and braking, have you checked your front LCA and steering arms?
Iím not a fan of toe plates tho, it may be worth to double check everything using side by side string alignment or a good laser bench imo.
marco_mc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 11:03 AM   #4109
RedReplicant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: None
Location: Arizona
Posts: 247
Thanks: 227
Thanked 182 Times in 94 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_mc22 View Post
You may have something loose if it changes drastically behaviour from under to off throttle and braking, have you checked your front LCA and steering arms?
Iím not a fan of toe plates tho, it may be worth to double check everything using side by side string alignment or a good laser bench imo.
Nothing looked loose in the rear, but I'll get under it and start prying on stuff today, including up front.

I'm also not a fan of toe plates for this kinda thing, it was mostly a sanity check. I'll take it to my alignment guy this week and see what he says.
__________________
2016 Subaru BRZ - Hyperblue #064
2015 Subaru BRZ - Crystal White - ST/TT - K24 Swapped
RedReplicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:42 PM   #4110
Racecomp Engineering
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 5,040
Thanks: 3,032
Thanked 6,707 Times in 2,711 Posts
Mentioned: 288 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
What the main differences are related to coilover design between gen1 and 2? Should we expect a significant departure on spring rates?
Scenarios:
1. Daily driver - GT type setup
2. Track car - original aero in both vehicles
We're STILL waiting on our preordered test car.

But we have a few things in process already.

I don't expect a significant change in spring rates for either scenario as overall design/dimensions of the car have not changed much. A lot of the change in handling feel is likely from the increased rigidity of the car and the change in valving on the factory shocks. I think the new platform will make better use of more spring rate, and the front aluminum uprights on the BRZ will make better use of available compression damping. But probably not enough to say...go up the next 50 lbs/in in spring rate.

We'll have a lot more to say soon.

- Andrew
__________________
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Stonehorsw (11-21-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 03:50 PM   #4111
Racecomp Engineering
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 5,040
Thanks: 3,032
Thanked 6,707 Times in 2,711 Posts
Mentioned: 288 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
Picked up a car yesterday, car pulls right traveling down a normal road. On the brakes and the car seems to straighten out, on medium-heavy throttle the car pulls left (supercharged) and then goes back right when letting off throttle.

Toe plates show basically 0 toe front and rear and neither side looks odd. Swapped the rear tires side to side and it acts the same as before. What should I check first? Car has SPL arms everywhere in the rear other than UCA, OS Giken diff, Salasko subframe / diff mounts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_mc22 View Post
I’m not a fan of toe plates tho, it may be worth to double check everything using side by side string alignment or a good laser bench imo.
Second this, check with strings or a rack. Check thrust angle.

ALSO...check tread depth at all 4 corners. One time when putting my winter tires on, I got my tire rotation mixed up such that 1 rear went to the front and the other stayed in back. It did what you described, although super squirmy tread winters made it extra noticeable.

- Andrew
__________________
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:10 PM   #4112
RedReplicant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: None
Location: Arizona
Posts: 247
Thanks: 227
Thanked 182 Times in 94 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Second this, check with strings or a rack. Check thrust angle.

ALSO...check tread depth at all 4 corners. One time when putting my winter tires on, I got my tire rotation mixed up such that 1 rear went to the front and the other stayed in back. It did what you described, although super squirmy tread winters made it extra noticeable.

- Andrew
Thank you too, I'll see what the alignment shows this week.

I swapped the 17s with A052 from my other car onto this car to test (front brakes won't clear the 17s) and found that the rear pull was lessened a fair amount, so I am guessing it is the rear alignment coupled with the Nankang AR1s not being super friendly.
__________________
2016 Subaru BRZ - Hyperblue #064
2015 Subaru BRZ - Crystal White - ST/TT - K24 Swapped
RedReplicant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedReplicant For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (11-21-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 06:04 PM   #4113
ForeverCar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Drives: 2022 BRZ and some other cars
Location: USA
Posts: 63
Thanks: 37
Thanked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I took delivery of a 2022 BRZ about a week ago and am considering suspension upgrade. I would like to get @Racecomp Engineering input on some options.

My use of the car is likely atypical (for more context, my intro thread https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147938).

Goals for the car,
1. The most connected driving experience
2. A learning platform for myself

To accomplish goal #1, would using spherical bearings and changing to solid/harder bushings where possible be the way to go? NVH isn't too much of a concern.

To accomplish goal #2, I'm consider finding a 4-way adjustable damper setup with relatively low spring rates. Mainly, I want to experiment with the different settings to learn how they impact the dynamics. If available, I probably would like to add sensors and data logging as well. When available, I plan on going with Motec (either a full M1 build or PnP). My testing grounds are backroads and road courses.

I'm definitely not chasing lap time. Driving feel and learning suspension adjustment are the primary goals.
ForeverCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:14 PM   #4114
timurrrr
Senior Member
 
timurrrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Drives: 2022 GR86 Neptune, 2017 BRZ with PP
Location: Between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Posts: 1,520
Thanks: 1,909
Thanked 1,091 Times in 629 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverCar View Post
To accomplish goal #2, I'm consider finding a 4-way adjustable damper setup with relatively low spring rates. Mainly, I want to experiment with the different settings to learn how they impact the dynamics. If available, I probably would like to add sensors and data logging as well. When available, I plan on going with Motec (either a full M1 build or PnP). My testing grounds are backroads and road courses.
Good goal!

Damper tuning is really fine tuning of the handling characteristics, and can be very hard to "feel" and understand in the beginning. Good data and consistent conditions are key to making progress effectively. That's really hard to achieve in the real world!
Have considered instead learning that first in a simulator? Easy to recreate literally identical conditions, as many times as you want, any time of any day. Much cheaper. Really high quality data for $0.

You may end up paying less for a decent sim rig and a set of good 1-way adjustable coilovers than for a 4-way set and all the data stuff.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
ForeverCar (12-30-2021), nathand (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 11:50 PM   #4115
ForeverCar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Drives: 2022 BRZ and some other cars
Location: USA
Posts: 63
Thanks: 37
Thanked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Good goal!

Damper tuning is really fine tuning of the handling characteristics, and can be very hard to "feel" and understand in the beginning. Good data and consistent conditions are key to making progress effectively. That's really hard to achieve in the real world!
Have considered instead learning that first in a simulator? Easy to recreate literally identical conditions, as many times as you want, any time of any day. Much cheaper. Really high quality data for $0.

You may end up paying less for a decent sim rig and a set of good 1-way adjustable coilovers than for a 4-way set and all the data stuff.
Thanks @timurrrr! Great idea and I have considered it. Itís probably not the most cost effective path and likely tougher, I am drawn to dealing with the real world complexities as I think the learnings stick more as well as transfer better to applications in the future.
ForeverCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:14 AM   #4116
grumpysnapper
Senior Member
 
grumpysnapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Drives: BRZ
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 303
Thanks: 254
Thanked 476 Times in 175 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverCar View Post
1. The most connected driving experience
To accomplish goal #1, would using spherical bearings and changing to solid/harder bushings where possible be the way to go? NVH isn't too much of a concern.
My 2cents (not that you even asked me, or that you should even care) is that this is a great way to potentially ruin a connected driving experience on real world roads.
Most of histories most renowned "drivers" cars have used a degree of compliance to achieve greatness.
grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grumpysnapper For This Useful Post:
ForeverCar (12-31-2021), timurrrr (12-31-2021)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air Suspension Discussion Thread - Let's Get Nerdy Andrew@ORT Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 174 02-13-2016 03:17 PM
RallySport Directs Everything Suspension thread!! RallySport Direct Brakes, Suspension, Chassis 21 07-02-2014 05:31 PM
The OFFICIAL Ohlins Coilover Suspension thread - High End Competition Suspension ModBargains.com Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 63 05-22-2013 08:15 AM
2012 Team USA vs the 1992 Dream Team ERZperformance Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 1 09-14-2012 06:19 PM
Team build thread; PROJECT.STH trueno86power Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 0 03-02-2010 10:13 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.