follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 07-15-2019, 11:11 AM   #1
Cyrano42

Drives: 2016 Hikari Hyper.Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Body Shop Needed! Hyper.Blue Roof dented and scratched

Guys I need your help!

At Subiemeet this weekend, due to an unfortunate accident with a pop-up tent and a strong gust of wind my poor Hyper.blue BRZ now has some serious damage to the roof and the paint on the driver door.

Can anyone recommend a good body shop in the GTA that is amazing at paint blending? I would honestly prefer replacing the whole roof and door panels but not sure if that is really practical. What are my options?

Cyrano42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:17 AM   #2
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,182 Times in 3,471 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Time for a carbon roof, IMHO..
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
why? (07-16-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Replacing the roof panels and doors will be much more painful (and MUCH more expensive) than having the panels repaired. The roof panel has to have the windows removed IIRC to get the spot welds drilled out, then it needs to be sealed back up and painted properly. Doors would be a ton of labour to swap over all the parts after they were painted.

As far as I know, that color isn't hard to match (not a pearl or metallic), so any competent shop should be able to handle it easily.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #4
Thunder86

Drives: 2018 Toyota 86 GT trim (Thunder)
For the roof, I’d buy: http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/seib...E#.XSzX9RZlCEc

Should stick right on with strong 3M tape.

Then I’d get the other bits paint blended...
Old 07-15-2019, 05:43 PM   #5
Cyrano42

So I should specify that I am not paying for any of this work. Insurance is covering under comp and the group that owned the tent is paying my deductible.

I should also mention that going CF is not an option. Firstly, because insurance will not cover that and second, the look for the car is planned to be Stock+ and CF just doesn't jive with that.

If a body shop will state that replacing the roof panel is the best way to get the factory clean look the car had prior to this happening then that is honestly, my preferred choice, despite how labor intensive is it. Has anyone had or heard of lasting issues when replacing a roof skin? Even to CF?

I'm not that worried about it taking time since I'm covered for loss of use, it's the final look that matters most.

So, if anyone knows a good shop I'm taking suggestions...
Old 07-16-2019, 01:47 AM   #6
mabviper

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
tbh, I had an accident with my BRZ years back and I sought out a good reputable shop against my insurance's suggested shops (luxury shop in etobicoke). Quite frankly, I'm not happy with their repair and the whole ordeal. After specifically telling them to use only OEM replacement parts, I had to go back because my window didn't seal properly since they didn't use OEM window, paint blotches, etc...

Anyways, moral of the story, go to your dealer and ask them who does their bodywork. It should be insurance certified. In Maple, dealers use European Auto Body. I used them once for my wife's bumper and had no issues with them.
mabviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #7
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
If it were me, this wouldn't be going through my insurance at all - and it would 100% be being paid for by the group that owned the tent with me fully in control of the repair.

Why put a mark on YOUR insurance record?
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turbo For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-17-2019), Summerwolf (07-20-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 12:46 AM   #8
BRZ Guy

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
If it were me, this wouldn't be going through my insurance at all - and it would 100% be being paid for by the group that owned the tent with me fully in control of the repair.

My thoughts as well.
BRZ Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #9
Cyrano42

So now this situation is evolving, I'm looking for advice.

The tent belonged to Rumble Nation, at the time of the incident one of the spouses of the group organizers told me that they would be absolutely willing to pay the deductible, however now that I am in touch with the organizer himself, Corey Van Leeuwen, he his claiming all sorts of nonsense about how I threatened his GF and his admins and that they have zero obligation to make this right. He is only willing to pay half the cost of the deductible ($250) Ill attach some pictures later of our txt conversation and you can judge for yourselves how I have been throughout the discussion.

Whats my options here? I really don't wish to make a mountain of a molehill here but it seems that he will not back down short of a court ruling. What do I do?

Shame that Rumble Nation would have someone so hostile representing them.

EDIT: Corey Van Leeuwen Convo

Last edited by Cyrano42; 07-17-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:46 PM   #10
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
if they're going to fight for even a little of it, i'd make the fight worthwhile and make them pay for everything.

get a quote to do the work, preferably from the higher end of the spectrum because they will try to argue it down.
Turbo (07-20-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 12:27 AM   #11
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano42 View Post

The tent belonged to Rumble Nation, at the time of the incident one of the spouses of the group organizers told me that they would be absolutely willing to pay the deductible, however now that I am in touch with the organizer himself, Corey Van Leeuwen, he his claiming all sorts of nonsense about how I threatened his GF and his admins and that they have zero obligation to make this right. He is only willing to pay half the cost of the deductible ($250) Ill attach some pictures later of our txt conversation and you can judge for yourselves how I have been throughout the discussion.

Whats my options here? I really don't wish to make a mountain of a molehill here but it seems that he will not back down short of a court ruling. What do I do?

Just go through small claims court or ask for his companies insurance info if they have one. Not worth the headache.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #12
evomike

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post

its a comp claim it does not go against your insurance
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #13
evomike

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano42 View Post

I am in in america but what i would tell my customers to do moving forward is file the claim with your carrier and give them all the facts and info you have for the other party, in the end if you have to pay your deductible i would just file small claims court.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #14
BRZ Guy

Drives: 2018 BRZ
A claim, is a claim.
You learn from experience.
BRZ Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZ Guy For This Useful Post:
Turbo (07-20-2019)