follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #1
Pointmutation

Drives: 2016 ZC6
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Swapped my instrument cluster face w/ Indicator's Graphics Panel ver. I

Got some new dress up bits. Swapping the stock instrument cluster dash gauge face with a new face from Indicator. It's the Graphics Panel ver I. I didn't want any of the the metal panels, metal rings, or needle caps since I didn't want shiny reflective bits in front of my face. Got it straight from Indicator from the motherland. Not quite overnight shipping from Japan, lol, but fast enough. And cheaper than the cost of what most US CONUS based companies ship to Hawaii for. Win. FYI, I'm not affiliated with Indicator or anything like that, I'm just a satisfied customer.

Graphics Panel ver. I. It came with English instructions, some double sided tape, a small hex tool to help remove the needles, and a couple stickers.

Dash gauges removed...

Comparison of stock face vs Indicator face

In the middle of taking everything apart. The needles were a pain to take off with fingers, so I just used a trim remover pry tool to pop them off.

Stock face removed. There is a second layer, a diffuser layer, under the new face to diffuse the led light underneath. The stock one has some diffuser material attached to the underside of the stock piece.

Closer comparison of the stock face with the Indicator one...

Everything installed and put back together.

Reinstalled and held my breath as I turned on the car...

Everything started up fine. All lights and needles working. The analog speedometer needle reads 2mph high, good thing I don't use it. Lol. I didn't try too hard to get the speedo needle aligned, more important was the rpm needle. Rpm needle matches OBD rpm readings, so all is good there.

Daylight shot, lights off...

Daylight shot, lights on...

Dark shot. Similar, but a bit different than stock.

Installed shot, with flash. Looks really good. Even better in person...

Overall impressions. I love it. It's subtle, but not. For people who don't know our cars, it just looks like any gauge cluster. For me who daily drives this, it's totally obvious. Totally awesome. I definitely like the double digit revs x100 better than the single digit x1000 numbers. Been looking at x100 rpms for quite a while now with my VW so it's nice to go back to seeing that again. Also the yellow coloring between 6500-7400 before redline is nice. Just an extra indication on top of the rpm light that you're about to hit redline soon. And the little extra tick marks under the 40/50/60 are a nice touch. Sometimes you just wanna stay over 4k. Lol. And those square lights, love them. When they all light up when turning on the car it reminds me of KITT back in the days (the 80's one, not the remakes). Haha.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
pravesh86

Drives: red 86 with trd kit
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
hello anybody removed there 86 needles on the cluster and the heat and temperature falls out of position after the car is switched off
for a while any help will be appreciated
pravesh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:47 AM   #3
Cubix

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Idk if its just the photos making it hard to see but does the actual text under the square lights light up as well?
Cubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
Pointmutation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravesh86 View Post
hello anybody removed there 86 needles on the cluster and the heat and temperature falls out of position after the car is switched off
for a while any help will be appreciated
Is it more off than before removal? If so, then remove and reinstall the needle to the correct position. More important than when off, does it indicate the correct temp when on vs a secondary reading like obd?
Old 06-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #5
Pointmutation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubix View Post
Idk if its just the photos making it hard to see but does the actual text under the square lights light up as well?
The text underneath does not light up. I got used to the light positions and colors, even without the lighted words or hieroglyphs, pretty quickly and know what they mean at a glance. For those who absolutely need lighted words and/or pictures to tell them what’s wrong with the car (and the on/off status of things like cruise control, high beams, traction control, door ajar, etc.), this type of gauge face is not for them.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:15 PM   #6
tarzan_nojane

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
The LEDs for a BRZ and a FR-S are quite different, more than just color. The BRZ uses 3 red LEDs to light up the tach, where the FR-S uses 5 white LEDs in different positions. The fuel and temp gauges on BRZ use one LED each where the FR-S uses 2 each on the opposite side of the needle. Looks like the dope replacement unit above is screened to look great on the BRZ. Wondering if they sell a different part for the FR-S.

I installed a BRZ cluster face in my FR-S and now have "hot" spots under the 0, 3, 6 and 9 on the tach. On my project list is changing the number and locations of my white LEDs to the positions that match the original BRZ cluster. Not eager to attack my cluster with a solder iron, but will practice on the BRZ cluster (which I got on eBay for $50). I guess they are cheap because if you just swap the whole cluster, the anti-theft start system will be screwed up.
tarzan_nojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:39 PM   #7
Rogues Gambit

Drives: '19 Ram Rebel, planning on a BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Goals
Rogues Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:24 AM   #8
zerodark

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue (WRB Pearl)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)