follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-05-2016, 08:25 PM   #3949
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
hey guys so I went and got an oil cooler because this thing hit over 300F on the oil.... 0w-40 castrol edge euro formula with no oil cooler

I ran into a problem, for those who have the kraftwerks adapter plate, are you guys' o-rings too big?? Mine constantly continues to leak and I've went through 5 o-rings and followed instructions to the T. The sandwhich plate does not spin when I torque it down as I hold it in place... let me know what you guys have.
Try packing the oring with petroleum jelly so it has both something to hold it in place and lubricant so it doesn't pinch.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FirestormFRS For This Useful Post:
pgranberg11 (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #3950
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormFRS View Post
Try packing the oring with petroleum jelly so it has both something to hold it in place and lubricant so it doesn't pinch.
I'll have to try that. But wouldn't you think that the oring should be the right size to begin with..? It just seems kinda odd that we'd have to go through all of it.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:21 PM   #3951
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
hey guys so I went and got an oil cooler because this thing hit over 300F on the oil.... 0w-40 castrol edge euro formula with no oil cooler

I ran into a problem, for those who have the kraftwerks adapter plate, are you guys' o-rings too big?? Mine constantly continues to leak and I've went through 5 o-rings and followed instructions to the T. The sandwhich plate does not spin when I torque it down as I hold it in place... let me know what you guys have.

Mine leaked like crazy. So did the oil cooler itself. I eventually took it off and I'm building my own.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #3952
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Mine leaked like crazy. So did the oil cooler itself. I eventually took it off and I'm building my own.
yea I didn't get the oil cooler. but we are stuck buying their sandwich plate... did you ever find a solution and was your oring too big?

you mentioned you're building one yourself, what sandwich plate will you be using?

I ended up going with a 19 row mishimoto oil cooler and their lines and following the DIY homebrew oil cooler tutorial on here (mounting it in front of my intercooler)

the thing worked great but it leaked a shit load. after it was installed I had temps of about 260 if that at the very highest..
Old 08-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #3953
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
I had a custom spacer and plate made by RacerX Fabrication. Thermostatically controlled and they offer banjo fittings so there's less interference with the oil fill cap. You can email them, great company to work with.

I've got a 19row Setrab core coming in and a local industrial hose place doing the lines.

I never found a solution. I took it off and my plans to track the car were put on hold.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeman For This Useful Post:
pgranberg11 (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #3954
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

I just pmed you freeman I had a few questions. thanks man
The Following User Says Thank You to pgranberg11 For This Useful Post:
Freeman (08-06-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 08:16 PM   #3955
Apoc

Drives: Raven FR-S 6M
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I am on my second belt and have been checking tension to make sure this one lasts longer than my first. I am finding that my belt tension changes a lot just from outside temp. I had started by tensioning to 60hz when cold but I am finding this to be too tight once everything warms up. I think the nightly temps drop to around 50 f and the whole drive system expands a fair bit once I am up to operating temp and outside temps are 80 f. I started hear a bit more whining noise from the SC once it was hot and was not sure if I should back the tension down a bit. To add to this the BPV seems to make more noise when hot also. Anyone else experience these with Kraftwerks?
Old 08-09-2016, 08:47 PM   #3956
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
I am on my second belt and have been checking tension to make sure this one lasts longer than my first. I am finding that my belt tension changes a lot just from outside temp. I had started by tensioning to 60hz when cold but I am finding this to be too tight once everything warms up. I think the nightly temps drop to around 50 f and the whole drive system expands a fair bit once I am up to operating temp and outside temps are 80 f. I started hear a bit more whining noise from the SC once it was hot and was not sure if I should back the tension down a bit. To add to this the BPV seems to make more noise when hot also. Anyone else experience these with Kraftwerks?
yep, that's what happens. i set my at winter time in my garage to 60hz, so must have been probably around 50f or lower, and didn't touch since - f.. it. so far a year and a half on my belt (the longer one with larger pulleys).
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vgi For This Useful Post:
Apoc (08-10-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 11:32 AM   #3957
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

anyone know the clearance between the top of the oil filter and the bottom of the hood? with or without the kraftwerks oil cooler adapter? Only reason why I was asking because I was thinking about doing this, but just not functionally using the forester oil cooler part.

any one have a reason why this shouldn't work? I would be using the forester oil cooler sandwich plate mainly as a spacer or adapter... i wouldn't connect it up at all to my coolant system. Then I would use the mishimoto adapter and twist it so it faces over the oil filler cap... seems like it should work unless someone else says otherwise?

Only reason why I'm trying to think outside the box is because I have a funny feeling the replacement sandwich plate from kraftwerks is still going to leak....

Last edited by pgranberg11; 08-26-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #3958
Apoc

Drives: Raven FR-S 6M
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
I never found a solution. I took it off and my plans to track the car were put on hold.
I am now in the same boat.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #3959
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Well, that looks like that's a total of 4 now... Freeman, myself, Apoc, and someone in the kraftwerks facebook group...

I made a separate thread and wanted to get more visibility and put it in here so every one can see it:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110105

EDIT: btw, the above solution does not work. the oil cooler from the forester sits too close and when the mishimoto adapter is placed on top it will indeed hit the pulley.

only questionable solutions are trd sandwich plate + mocal tstat/non tstat adapter.

OR

This is the newest one I thought of...

it would go perrin spacer, perrin oil sandwich plate, and then mocal tstat adapter on top. and the the oil filter. Who knows if this would even work.. just trying to brainstorm solutions.

here's my crude mockup...

Last edited by pgranberg11; 08-29-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:29 PM   #3960
sLoPy

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm kind of in a bind. I purchased a kraftwerks kit C30-95 with Carb Tune. Everything is installed, but when I went to flash the ECU with ECUTek and Kraftwerks Carb Tune I realized that there are 3 files that are on the USB Drive that Kraftwerks provided.

1.Kraftwerks Rom ZA1JA01D CARB TUNE 6B 82 2Denc
2.Kraftwerks Rom ZA1JD00C CARB TUNE -enc 6B 82 2D
3.ZA1JB01C CARB TUNE 6B 82 2D-enc

They are all .bin files.

Which one is the right tune. My car is completely stock except for the Kraftwerks kit.

Can anyone help me out?

I'm just kind of sitting here kicking myself for not looking into this before I started the install.

BTW @KraftWerks you should really put some type of instructions in the install manual regarding the tune files and just say refer to ECUtek instructions.
sLoPy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:55 PM   #3961
sLoPy

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Never mind. Figured it out. The files are for the different ECU versions of the BRZ/FRS.
sLoPy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #3962
pancake

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLoPy View Post
Never mind. Figured it out. The files are for the different ECU versions of the BRZ/FRS.
Any idea how much PSI in the CARB tune?
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote