follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-10-2012, 02:17 AM   #1
StuAU

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Approach Angle at Various Heights

Hi guys,

I am looking for some help with selecting my ride height, I am restricted slightly due to the step entry I have to my building's car park. I really don't want to have my springs changed then find out I can't get to my parking spot without damaging my front bar. I would be able to simply line the car up and then check its clearance, however I have not yet received my car.

So, I am hoping a few of you kind friends who have had their 86/FRS lowered (sorry BRZ peeps, different front bar), would be kind enough to take a couple of measurements for me so I can determine just how low I can go.

I am hoping to collect the following;
  • How much you dropped the car by,
  • Distance between the center of the wheel and the front most point of your bar, and
  • Height from level ground up to the front most point of your bar.

I have attached a pretty basic little image to give you a better idea.

Its a bit tuff to get this 100% spot on, but it should give me and others out there an idea of how low we can go. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

StuAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
StuAU

Anyone?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
sweet spots about 20-25mm of drop
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I can try to get this for you, but I'm on stock springs still so I don't know how much help it will be over the specs posted by Scion.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Why don't you just put your nose in front of your steep slope and measure it to your liking (when you get it)? You'll get a pretty accurate result this way
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuAU View Post
I am looking for some help with selecting my ride height, I am restricted slightly due to the step entry I have to my building's car park. I really don't want to have my springs changed then find out I can't get to my parking spot without damaging my front bar. I would be able to simply line the car up and then check its clearance, however I have not yet received my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottopilot View Post
Why don't you just put your nose in front of your steep slope and measure it to your liking (when you get it)? You'll get a pretty accurate result this way
See bolded parts above for why... even if he has his car that doesn't help him with the approach angle for a lowered vehicle.

Rear drop is just as important as front drop, since any rake will greatly effect the approach angle.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
StuAU

Thanks guys. I think I can figure it out by measuring one at a dealer and the. Doing the maths for a drop.

Tags
angle of incidence, approach angle, height, lowered springs