follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-03-2022, 06:52 PM   #15
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerusEric View Post
You are one of the lucky ones. We've seen people with cars that are barely out of warranty broken in various locations. No rhyme or reason for the failures.
Your pictures make no sense. A miss engineered part should have the stresses start a failure in the same place every time. That looks like there was zero quality control on the material/manufacturing.

I am not worried I have your fork and pivot.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 03:39 PM   #16
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'll work on ordering one to compare to the factory units we have here.

You are one of the lucky ones. We've seen people with cars that are barely out of warranty broken in various locations. No rhyme or reason for the failures.

Is this a commercial for Versus or what?

I'm willing to bet that I'm not one of the lucky ones. The people who broke their forks were the unlucky ones. I'll bet the actual failure rate for clutch forks is very low.

And I'll believe that until my fork fails. (It'll probably will happen tomorrow since I doubted it.)
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:01 PM   #17
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post

I'm willing to bet that I'm not one of the lucky ones. The people who broke their forks were the unlucky ones. I'll bet the actual failure rate for clutch forks is very low.

And I'll believe that until my fork fails. (It'll probably will happen tomorrow since I doubted it.)
Among all the twins out there, of course it is low. It is a known issue if you have a stiffer aftermarket clutch. I have also known of a couple that have done it on all stock clutch setups. We were possibly thinking quick stabs on the clutch pedal probably don't help. The two that I know of that failed all stock where autoX guys, both at the pivot. Again, even among twin drivers out there, autox/track guys are a small number.
Old 10-11-2023, 12:46 AM   #18
twistednoble

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I'll work on ordering one to compare to the factory units we have here.

Did you ever get the change to compare the two generations?

Had to dredge this one up since I'm gearing up to do a clutch on mine after it started occasionally making strange noises with the clutch out. I'm toeing the line of if I want to replace the stock clutch with a ACT Streetlite or just do OE Exedy.
twistednoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 07:46 AM   #19
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

Just wanted to say, I'm sorry, I was wrong.
My fork broke right after I posted this. Looks just like the second picture.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (10-11-2023), Jdmjunkie (10-11-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 02:56 PM   #20
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistednoble View Post
Did you ever get the change to compare the two generations?

Had to dredge this one up since I'm gearing up to do a clutch on mine after it started occasionally making strange noises with the clutch out. I'm toeing the line of if I want to replace the stock clutch with a ACT Streetlite or just do OE Exedy.
I have not, my guess is it is either the same or very similar. The WRX units that are much beefier than the FRS/BRZ units still fail, which is why we have a WRX unit as well.

Quote:
Just wanted to say, I'm sorry, I was wrong.
My fork broke right after I posted this. Looks just like the second picture.
Sorry to hear that.
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (10-28-2023), twistednoble (10-29-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 07:32 AM   #21
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I have not, my guess is it is either the same or very similar. The WRX units that are much beefier than the FRS/BRZ units still fail, which is why we have a WRX unit as well.

Sorry to hear that.
@VerusEric Why wonder? Just go straight to the Subaru parts website and look up the clutch fork and pivot ball and see that they are the same across ALL year BRZs.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dragoontwo For This Useful Post:
Luns (11-06-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 09:39 AM   #22
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
@VerusEric Why wonder? Just go straight to the Subaru parts website and look up the clutch fork and pivot ball and see that they are the same across ALL year BRZs.
When I looked last, the GR86/BRZ generation wasn't on the parts store.

Looking at it now, yep, same exact clutch fork for the new gen as the old generation. We'll be updating our website and compatibility.
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 05:48 PM   #23
Luns

Drives: 2017 GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
Thanks for raising this point. I believe you're correct, but confirming this requires catching details that aren't immediately obvious.

The parts lookup shows that there are two supersessions for the current part number, so it's easy to guess that this means the BRZ used two different earlier revisions before landing at the current part. However, this is not the case.

The key is to not just look up the current part number, but also explicitly check the supersessions. It turns out the current part number supersedes parts that go all the way back to 1997. The two superseded part numbers cover cars up to 1998 and 2009 respectively and were already out of the picture before our twins.

https://parts.subaru.com/p/49239181/30530aa020.html
https://parts.subaru.com/p/49239182/30530AA021.html

Same with the pivot ball; the one superseded part number went up to 2009, same as the second clutch fork.

https://parts.subaru.com/p/49239206/30537AA060.html

What I'm intrigued with at this point, and don't have an answer for, is where the WRX fork fits into all of this.

https://www.subarupartwholesale.com/...0531AA180.html

While this doesn't directly cross-reference to the BRZ, some of the other vehicles listed in the applications also show up in the application list for our fork. The non-WRX, non-Turbo cars listed (Impreza, Outback 2.5L 5MT for 08-09) for the WRX's fork, appear to also show up in the application list for the BRZ fork.

Searching by application for say an 08 Impreza, both the WRX and BRZ clutch forks show up.

https://www.subarupartwholesale.com/...12-100-01.html

This suggests that the WRX clutch fork is actually interchangeable with the BRZ part.
Luns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 06:58 AM   #24
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luns View Post
Thanks for raising this point. I believe you're correct, but confirming this requires catching details that aren't immediately obvious.

The parts lookup shows that there are two supersessions for the current part number, so it's easy to guess that this means the BRZ used two different earlier revisions before landing at the current part. However, this is not the case.

The key is to not just look up the current part number, but also explicitly check the supersessions. It turns out the current part number supersedes parts that go all the way back to 1997. The two superseded part numbers cover cars up to 1998 and 2009 respectively and were already out of the picture before our twins.

https://parts.subaru.com/p/49239181/30530aa020.html
https://parts.subaru.com/p/49239182/30530AA021.html

Same with the pivot ball; the one superseded part number went up to 2009, same as the second clutch fork.

https://parts.subaru.com/p/49239206/30537AA060.html

What I'm intrigued with at this point, and don't have an answer for, is where the WRX fork fits into all of this.

https://www.subarupartwholesale.com/...0531AA180.html

While this doesn't directly cross-reference to the BRZ, some of the other vehicles listed in the applications also show up in the application list for our fork. The non-WRX, non-Turbo cars listed (Impreza, Outback 2.5L 5MT for 08-09) for the WRX's fork, appear to also show up in the application list for the BRZ fork.

Searching by application for say an 08 Impreza, both the WRX and BRZ clutch forks show up.

https://www.subarupartwholesale.com/...12-100-01.html

This suggests that the WRX clutch fork is actually interchangeable with the BRZ part.
I think you're trying to read too much into this and getting yourself too far into the weeds. It isn't uncommon to have a part that existed before a car and it also isn't uncommon for a supersession to be just a part number change. I'm not saying that this is the case here.

All the BRZs and 86s right now use the same basic transmission. A few internal parts are different, but the transmission packaging is the same.

Taking the Impreza you mention, did you actually look at the parts diagram and see that they list both clutch forks, but also 2 different pressure plates, 2 different clutch release bearings and 2 different diameter slave cylinders?
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dragoontwo For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (11-08-2023)
Old 11-12-2023, 08:31 AM   #25
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lunatic View Post
Replacing the clutch in my 2015 FRS and was going to upgrade the clutch fork but reading up on them the description is talking about the upgrade as being needed for use with stronger pressure plates. If i'm not beating on the car (daily driver only) and going with an OEM clutch and parts should I just leave it alone?
My suggestion is to replace the fork with a new (OEM) one every time you replace the clutch and/or throwout bearing. They are inexpensive and it's good insurance.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:51 PM   #26
terboboost

Drives: 2013 BRZ HKS Turbo
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I also want to add to this. I replaced my clutch with an ORC 409D, told myself the upgraded clutch fork and pivot weren't necessary. My pivot cracked off approximately 5000 mi later. JOY

While my fork seemd fine. I will say, the clutch feel is markedly improved with the Verus fork and pivot!