follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #617
Olim

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I've been searching the forums far and wide for this SPECIFIC NOISE. Seems the issue hasn't been cleared up by the manufacturers yet because I now own a 2017 Toyota 86 with this same exact noise coming from my rear passenger side area.

This rattling sound always happens for me when I'm hitting over 70+ mph, even on smooth roads.

Going to check my car and see if the same issues can be applied to these helpful guidelines. Huge thanks!
Olim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:44 PM   #618
JermMX5

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olim View Post
I've been searching the forums far and wide for this SPECIFIC NOISE. Seems the issue hasn't been cleared up by the manufacturers yet because I now own a 2017 Toyota 86 with this same exact noise coming from my rear passenger side area.

This rattling sound always happens for me when I'm hitting over 70+ mph, even on smooth roads.

Going to check my car and see if the same issues can be applied to these helpful guidelines. Huge thanks!
Same noise on my 2017 86, PLEASE let me know which method fixes it for you!
Old 07-10-2017, 06:59 PM   #619
irxproductions

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2015 Speed Triple
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olim View Post
Hi Olim,

My 2013 FRS had this particular noise in spades which is why I was a regular visitor to this thread. In case you didn't see my earlier reply, I've included the specific diagnosis from the dealer as well as what they did to fix it here:

Diagnosis and Repair - direct quote from the dealer docs: "Noise caused by rear deck cross member spot welds and panels shifting causing popping-type noise. Excessive spot weld slag rubbing on panels internally. Inspect trunk body seam spot welds, OK. Inspect quarter body seams and spot welds, OK.

Roadtest confirms noise. Remove rear interior deck cover, and third brake light assembly. Adjust rear deck cross member spot weld seams on upper and lower section. Apply HHS-K to all adjusted spot weld seams and panels. Roadtest on various road types - noise is gone."

It's nearly five years later now, and the noise has not returned. There are some other subtle rattles (nothing remotely serious) but the roads are utter crap in the Pacific Northwest, so every car with a tight suspension develops a few.

Nothing like that horrendous tapping from the rear deck.

Try using the above diagnosis with your dealer. In fact, if they'd like to hit up the dealer who did my repair, here's their website: http://www.vancouvertoyota.com/

Good luck!

- Irk
irxproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to irxproductions For This Useful Post:
Olim (07-10-2017), Slonie (09-18-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 07:10 PM   #620
Olim

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by irxproductions View Post
Hi Olim,

My 2013 FRS had this particular noise in spades which is why I was a regular visitor to this thread. In case you didn't see my earlier reply, I've included the specific diagnosis from the dealer as well as what they did to fix it here:

Diagnosis and Repair - direct quote from the dealer docs: "Noise caused by rear deck cross member spot welds and panels shifting causing popping-type noise. Excessive spot weld slag rubbing on panels internally. Inspect trunk body seam spot welds, OK. Inspect quarter body seams and spot welds, OK.

Roadtest confirms noise. Remove rear interior deck cover, and third brake light assembly. Adjust rear deck cross member spot weld seams on upper and lower section. Apply HHS-K to all adjusted spot weld seams and panels. Roadtest on various road types - noise is gone."

It's nearly five years later now, and the noise has not returned. There are some other subtle rattles (nothing remotely serious) but the roads are utter crap in the Pacific Northwest, so every car with a tight suspension develops a few.

Nothing like that horrendous tapping from the rear deck.

Try using the above diagnosis with your dealer. In fact, if they'd like to hit up the dealer who did my repair, here's their website: http://www.vancouvertoyota.com/

Good luck!

- Irk
Wow thanks, I haven't taken a full look through the threads yet, but you have certainly helped me with my thinning it out!
I'll see if I can do "home-remedies" first (less hassle), if not I will certainly use your approach with the dealer.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #621
LudwigMiles
Banned

Drives: '13 BRZ
I get a creaking sound from the back.
Trying to address this issue today.

I removed the 4 push rivets on the rear deck.
However, it still does not come off easily.
Is it glued down? I don't want to break any fasteners, if there are others.

Last edited by LudwigMiles; 09-03-2017 at 05:52 PM.
LudwigMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:34 AM   #622
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigMiles View Post
I get a creaking sound from the back.
Trying to address this issue today.

I removed the 4 push rivets on the rear deck.
However, it still does not come off easily.
Is it glued down? I don't want to break any fasteners, if there are others.
I googled and found this.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sigh-on-Rice For This Useful Post:
LudwigMiles (09-05-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #623
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Rear Deck "popping/clicking/tapping/ticking" noise.

I have a noise that's similar to this on my '17 BRZ. A popping sound that sounds like its coming from the trunk on initial acceleration/braking (sometimes accompanied by a following pop when the vehicle becomes unloaded), going up driveways, etc.

In addition to this noise (I believe its related), upon more aggressive cornering there is a sound that is almost like something rolling around in my trunk (trunk is empty)!

I've ruled out the rear seat latches as the noise still exists when the seats are down.

I'm hoping the TSB fixes it, but the rolling popping noise under more aggressive cornering has be concerned. Anyone experience the same issue?

EDIT: Turns out my tow hook got loose somehow in my spare tire well. Put it back in its spot and the noise is gone!

Last edited by JBezugs; 10-23-2017 at 03:54 PM.
JBezugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:21 PM   #624
Olim

Garage
2017 86/BRZ

********* FOR ALL 2017 86/BRZ OWNERS ***********

I've posted in this thread regarding the issue before with my popping/ticking/tapping noise that radiates from the rear passenger seat/trunk deck when I'm cruising at 70mph+ mostly on highways. (Same noise in the videos at the same spot)

Recently, I've been in contact with a Toyota dealership regarding my 86, and had them do an inspection on the specific noise. I ran the car with a technician who also heard the noise when driving, in which he later took apart the panels in the back and readjusted them alongside the wires to find the noise still present (covered under warranty). He spoke on the phone with engineers, but couldn't find the issue causing the noise. The Toyota dealership then had a Toyota FTS inspection technician come in (which took a couple days to arrange) and run the same diagnosis with driving my car. The FTS inspector also heard the noise, and the dealer stated that he also drove other 86s and found the same noise in those new cars. At the end, he gave this report on my invoice sheet:

"Technician opened TAS case # xxxxxxxxx. FTS inspection 10/2017 verified customer concern. Listened to other like vehicles and sound the same. This is a normal characteristic of this vehicle. No repairs performed at this time."

SO, according to the company, at this moment in time, the sound we are all hearing is a regular thing in some 86/BRZ models. I showed them all the previous TSB and statements from the other FRS owners who helped me out when I was diagnosing the issue (THANK YOU ALL AGAIN), but since the 2017 line is a "new model", the old FRS TSB's for the fix are currently not available for my 2017 86. I didn't "sit" down quietly after receiving the report, and tried to readdress the issue but at this point in time according to the company, nothing can be done.

My guess is a TSB will be developed in the future if more of us bring it into light for Toyota/Subaru on the 2017 models. Hopefully that will direct more effort and assistance from them for our passion in these cars.

Feel free to share this with people having similar issues or keep it to yourself. If someone who has a 2017 86/BRZ also did the same steps as me and finds a fix, let me know and share with others! Thanks for reading

- Olim
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olim For This Useful Post:
dhuang (11-05-2017), JBezugs (10-19-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 03:53 PM   #625
mausr

Drives: GT86
I have also heard a lot of noise from the rear deck area, however, was not able to fix it till now. The noise could be heard above 140km/h as a very prominent ticking form the deck area.

After a year of trial and error it was turned out that the noise was caused by the tank lid opener cable. It is (or it should be) held by a clip behind the right "luggage compartment trim cover" (= big plastic panel next to the rear seat, this covers the rear speaker too). The cable was not inserted into the clip and thus it knocked on the metal at higher speeds....
mausr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mausr For This Useful Post:
sato (12-17-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 04:56 AM   #626
LancePower

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausr View Post
I have also heard a lot of noise from the rear deck area, however, was not able to fix it till now. The noise could be heard above 140km/h as a very prominent ticking form the deck area.

After a year of trial and error it was turned out that the noise was caused by the tank lid opener cable. It is (or it should be) held by a clip behind the right "luggage compartment trim cover" (= big plastic panel next to the rear seat, this covers the rear speaker too). The cable was not inserted into the clip and thus it knocked on the metal at higher speeds....

This sounds like where my highway-speed noise is coming from.

I'll have to investigate.
LancePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #627
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityorange View Post
This absolutely worked for me after I had tried every other other single thing suggested on this forum. My big mistake was thinking the sound was in the parcel shelf or trunk (boot) area. It was my son riding in the back who said it was coming from the roof. Thanks tonytduc!

I undid the 3 bolts each side that secure the roof crossbeam to the C pillar internal metal supports, hit them with a spot of lithium grease, slightly prised apart the join with out deforming it to get a bit of grease in there too, then replaced the bolts and did them up tight. The annoying constant tick ticking sound has vanished. It drove me so crazy I thought I could still hear it after it had gone, but it has definitely gone. Ah, the serenity!
This also solved the ticking noise on my 2017 BRZ. I traced it to something above the headliner on the passenger side. Literally loosened one of the crossmember bolts and retightened -- annoying sound is now gone!

I used to have a 2013 FR-S that had the rear popping noise and white lithium grease in the spot welds solved that noise. It seems like the weld joints are slightly different in the 2017's.
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dhuang For This Useful Post:
sato (12-17-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 10:12 AM   #628
LancePower

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS
I don't think my noise was the fuel cap cable. I tried to insulate that from hitting against the bare body and the noise didn't go away.

Mine must be the coming from the roof crossmember.

How do you access the bolts? Which trim pieces do I have to remove and is there a trick to popping them off?
LancePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:22 AM   #629
MotoX16

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzpermadi View Post
Thanks to your post and from other forum I managed to reduce my rattle.

At first I did the usual rear deck adjustments: spraying grease, cracking/opening space between panels, wrapping the rear seat latches but the metal tapping noise still there.

After asking my wife to sit at the back for few hours she said the noise is not coming from rear deck but instead coming from the roofline area.

So I finally open the side airbag panel, seatbelt panel, door weatherstrip and I pull the headline a bit to expose the metal bracket.
But instead of cracking the panels, I opened the bolt and slip some thick tape between the panels.

Attachment 75449

Finally the metal tapping sound is gone!!
How did you go about removing the B pillar? I am having the same noise and want to try tightening that bolt. I have tried the tsb and tightening the bolts under the C pillar airbag with no luck. I rode around in the back of my car with a friend driving and the sound is definitely coming from the roof area. Any help is appreciated!
MotoX16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #630
MotoX16

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Finally fixed the "tapping/clicking" noise in my 2017 brz. Tried the tsb, cracked all the welds in the rear deck and hit with lithium grease and was unsuccessful. Noise was still coming from the drivers side.

Thanks to the few posts in this thread that pointed me to the roof crossbeam. In case anyone is wondering my process went a little like this. Remove C pillar, remove rear seat cushion, remove rear quarter (speaker?) panel, remove B pillar, pull headliner down. Then I was able to loosen the bolts, hit everything with lithium grease, and tighten it back up.

My noise is finally gone! I can feel my sanity starting to return again
MotoX16 is offline   Reply With Quote