follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2010, 01:35 AM   #1
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Tuning

Soon we may be consulting one another for tuning the Ft-86, so I thought I'd start a thread to get a feel for who on here has tuning experience, and for what aspect of a car (i.e., engine management, suspension/handling, fabrication?)

I have a little bit of experience with tuning the chassis for autoxing, but most of my knowledge and first hand experience is in engine tuning.

Primary experience is specifically with the Emanage Ultimate and camcon. I'm also quite handy interpreting OBDII datalogs to minimize fuel trims so the car can run like stock even after massive changes to he intake and fueling set up -- who needs a stand alone?

What about you guys? Where does your expertise lie?
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
Tougerenner

Drives: 08 sti
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
As for engine tuning, if the production FT86 comes with an Subaru ecu similar to those found in the turbo models that will make things alot easier. Reflashing of the stock subaru turbo ecu's is quite easy, you can either use Cobb's accessport or go OpenSource, also tuners are very readily available. However Cobb does have an acessport for the NA subaru's so all hope is not lost, heck they even have an accessport for the "uncrackable" R35 GTR.

If the FT86 sees production with the same rear suspension as the concept(current impreza/forester) all the major work for the rear is already done. Aftermarket companies will probably just have to revise valving in the shocks and revise spring rates. As for the front who knows on that, but my guess is that something will be out shortly.
Tougerenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tougerenner View Post
As for engine tuning, if the production FT86 comes with an Subaru ecu similar to those found in the turbo models that will make things alot easier. Reflashing of the stock subaru turbo ecu's is quite easy, you can either use Cobb's accessport or go OpenSource, also tuners are very readily available. However Cobb does have an acessport for the NA subaru's so all hope is not lost, heck they even have an accessport for the "uncrackable" R35 GTR.

If the FT86 sees production with the same rear suspension as the concept(current impreza/forester) all the major work for the rear is already done. Aftermarket companies will probably just have to revise valving in the shocks and revise spring rates. As for the front who knows on that, but my guess is that something will be out shortly.

Conversely, if it comes with a Toyota ECU (which it likely will, due to the heads being Toyota based) we are all f'kd, unless Toyota makes a conscious effort to make it tunable.

Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
there are still ways around that, although they are more costly and involved. i'm hoping it'll be able to use something like the Cobb accessport or similar. either way, i don't think i'll be doing much to the car. that's what my MR2 is for.

i have some experience tuning an AEM EMS, although i don't know how much help i could really be over the internet. i do fairly basic suspension setups, but again, a lot of it is applying the theory to conditions and changing shock damping until the car drives the way i want it to. pretty basic stuff. i also know a bit about alignment angles, heh.

-Mike
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
^^^ Or perhaps the first mod will be to swap in the Subaru ECU

The fact we may or may not be able to get ready made re-flashes is EXACTLY why I started this thread -- who here (besides me) knows how to tune?

Soon we'll need a proper ECU tuning forum...

Have any aftermarket companies boldy stepped up to claim they want to make a harness for the FT-86? Haven't heard anything, but I'm sure they're out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NESW20 View Post
i have some experience tuning an AEM EMS, although i don't know how much help i could really be over the internet.
Cool!

Potentially, lots of help!

Although optimal tunes for individual set ups will ned to be dialed in individsually and empirically, there's lots of useful info that might be shared.

Actually, does anyone on here have experiece with direct injection?

I understand that the easy way to tune that is mechanically -- by replacing the fuel pump...
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

yeah, i suppose that's true. especially things like warm-up fuel enrichment and idle control. some of my knowledge is trial & error, but some of it is slightly more founded in science & theory, haha.

i still hope it has a subaru-like ECU, that can easily be reflashed, hehe.

-Mike
2008 Civic Si Sedan
Old 03-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
Im pretty sure most of the big aftermarket companies will be all over this car before we ever touch one.

Im pretty good at interpreting OBDII signals with fuel trims and such... I have no real world experience with this just what i was taught at school. I really love ECU tuning and stand alones and cant wait till i get some experience under my belt on my mr2. Im more than likely gonna run a Hydra Nemisis so i will let you guys know how that goes.
Midship Runabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
Tougerenner

Drives: 08 sti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
^^^ Or perhaps the first mod will be to swap in the Subaru ECU

The fact we may or may not be able to get ready made re-flashes is EXACTLY why I started this thread -- who here (besides me) knows how to tune?

Soon we'll need a proper ECU tuning forum...

Have any aftermarket companies boldy stepped up to claim they want to make a harness for the FT-86? Haven't heard anything, but I'm sure they're out there.

Cool!

Potentially, lots of help!

Although optimal tunes for individual set ups will ned to be dialed in individsually and empirically, there's lots of useful info that might be shared.

Actually, does anyone on here have experiece with direct injection?

I understand that the easy way to tune that is mechanically -- by replacing the fuel pump...
1. OEM ecu swaps on subaru's are not that easy, they change the ecus pretty much every year, so a map for say a 2006 STi will not work with a 2007 STi because the ECU logic changes that greatly. So even if the harness mate up it may or may not work. A hydra nemesis would probably be a better choice for Aftermarket EMS

I have looked in to doing an rSTi or 2000 2.5rs (GC body impreza coupe) with an STi motor, its a lot of rewiring, most people just pay someone to do it form them.

2. I use OpenSource on my WRX, so a special $100 OBD2 to USB (tactrix)cable some free software and your in business. Some of the software I have used is RomRaider and ECUedit. They don't have idiot proof GUIs and you can really hurt your car with this these programs if you dont know what your are doing. Most of the time I just get new maps from my tuner and reflash myself.

When you really get in to the Subaru turbo ECU they are actually quite robust and able to handle a wide range of turbo applications. I have seen of people programing launch control and flat foot shifting in the stock ecu via OpenSource. I had a launch control on my WRX at one point which was cool for showing off, it was 0-40 in like.....now.

3. As for DI tuning, probably find a tuner that does crossbrand tuning but defiantly has experience with the new VAG platforms.
Tougerenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
My strong points on tuning is fabrication & suspensions, I did my own coilover, big brake up grade brackets, and chassis bars for my AE86. I'm getting better on welding I stitch weld my chassis all around. I'm weak part is electrical like wiring and program a stand alone ecu, I don't use piggy back any more but i know how to program them. mechanical I'm ok like rebuild a motor or back lash a LSD.

here are some of my work
Big brake up grade from a FC3S TII to my AE86

DIY coilover
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
^ lookin good!
I also like welding. Gonna be taking some more TIG welding classes so i can get certified.
Midship Runabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #11
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

oh, that's another thing. i'm pretty good at machining and rebuilding engines.

-Mike
2008 Civic Si Sedan
Old 03-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Normous View Post
^ lookin good!
I also like welding. Gonna be taking some more TIG welding classes so i can get certified.
thanks man, i wish i can be certified but I just practice on my friends shop.
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #13
[es vi: eks]

Drives: Subaru Legacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Normous View Post
^ lookin good!

Me too. Ive done a tig course. Now I just have to do 1 or 2 more courses then I can get my cert.
[es vi: eks] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:20 AM   #14
Lexicon101
Inexperienced

Drives: Crappy old '90 civic. Frankie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
Conversely, if it comes with a Toyota ECU (which it likely will, due to the heads being Toyota based) we are all f'kd, unless Toyota makes a conscious effort to make it tunable.

Isn't the idea of this car a lightweight FR tuner?
I might be wrong on this, and I'm not suggesting that it's certain that they'll make it tunable.. but I wouldn't count out the possibility.
Lexicon101 is offline   Reply With Quote