follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #43
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
I've been tempted to do my own lip for both the Supra and the Legacy but my landlord isn't too keen on me playing with hot-wire cutting styrofoam and mixing up epoxy on the premises... Don't want to kill the cat either.

I've got too many things to do and not enough time or space. Grrr!!!
Hey, I know what you mean... My neighbor has some of the machines that you have at work in his garage (I need to take some pic next weekend or something to show you what he has in his garage)... but he had a stroke and haven't had a time to teach me anything for long time. I would make some of custom parts for my car and all... but I don't have the knowledge to use the machine to make one.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:40 AM   #44
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Two things that I have trouble wrapping my head around on the AE86 is how the struts have the bearing integrated into them (making custom coilovers a bigger pain than they have to be?) and the solid axle. (What no rear camber adjustment?)

I don't follow a bearing on the struts?

rear camber for what? and why?
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #45
4agze

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
I don't have any friends that own any tuning shop... but my friend's uncle owns a body shop... but we're talking bout high quality body shop (Porsche, Ferrari, & all those exotic cars) shop, so even they give me discount, it's still high up for me... but one day, I'll have enough $ to make my Impreza wide body (22B or GD style).

so I envy ya
wow 22B will be nice, my friend got a GC8 and we're just talking about what to do with his car. wait I send you a private msg about a GC8 question, few days ago maybe didn't went thru?
Old 09-05-2010, 12:55 AM   #46
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4agze View Post
I don't follow a bearing on the struts?

rear camber for what? and why?
I don't know much about the AE86's strut, but most MacStuts don't look like that. I assumed the pin thing sticking out of the bottom is for a shaft for a wheel bearing or something? (Probably just talking out my ass right now... and looking like one.) I'm used to seeing struts with a lower bracket that bolts to the uprights. If I want to make some Koni-insert coilovers for my Legacy all I have to do is get some steel tubing, thread it for spring perches, weld a cap on the bottom with a hole for a 14mm(?) bolt and two tabs with two holes each to mount it to the upright.

I just really have no idea what that shaft/pin thing sticking out of the bottom of the AE86's strut is.

As for the rear camber, I don't know enough about a solid axle's geometry to know even if they need it. But I have heard of circle track guys going to elaborate measures to get a bit of rear camber.

For these two reasons I've stayed away from AE86s. I don't know enough about the funny struts and solid axles.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:09 AM   #47
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
wow 22B will be nice, my friend got a GC8 and we're just talking about what to do with his car. wait I send you a private msg about a GC8 question, few days ago maybe didn't went thru?
Yeah, I don't think I got it. If I get any PM, I usually reply asap. Sent em again
Old 09-05-2010, 01:19 AM   #48
4agze

Garage
Quote:
I don't know much about the AE86's strut, but most MacStuts don't look like that. I assumed the pin thing sticking out of the bottom is for a shaft for a wheel bearing or something? (Probably just talking out my ass right now... and looking like one.) I'm used to seeing struts with a lower bracket that bolts to the uprights. If I want to make some Koni-insert coilovers for my Legacy all I have to do is get some steel tubing, thread it for spring perches, weld a cap on the bottom with a hole for a 14mm(?) bolt and two tabs with two holes each to mount it to the upright.

I just really have no idea what that shaft/pin thing sticking out of the bottom of the AE86's strut is.

As for the rear camber, I don't know enough about a solid axle's geometry to know even if they need it. But I have heard of circle track guys going to elaborate measures to get a bit of rear camber.

For these two reasons I've stayed away from AE86s. I don't know enough about the funny struts and solid axles.
here is a FSM diagram of the front suspension, circle what you saw and I'll try to explain it or name it.

well rear camber usually is just adds grip on rear tires but the solid axles cars also have a way to add extra grip on the rear, like traction brackets. heres a pic from a forum member,its the silver bracket I have one also.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:56 AM   #49
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
The part that confuses me looks like a shaft for the wheel bearings.

I'm used to seeing struts like this:

In this design the wheel bearings are in the upright.

As for the rear camber it reduces loss (or increases depending on the starting camber) of grip as the car rolls. But both tires on a sold axles are rigidly linked to each other so I'm assuming the behavior is different that what I'm used to.

Because titanium.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:35 AM   #50
4agze

Garage
Quote:
The part that confuses me looks like a shaft for the wheel bearings.

I'm used to seeing struts like this:

In this design the wheel bearings are in the upright.

As for the rear camber it reduces loss (or increases depending on the starting camber) of grip as the car rolls. But both tires on a sold axles are rigidly linked to each other so I'm assuming the behavior is different that what I'm used to.
ahhh the spindle, yeah old school cars has the strut casing welded with spindle. its funny how a ae86 has less parts than the modern cars . yeah the solid rear vs independent rear are always a good debate, the feel and grip level but on modern cars independent rear is a must don't know why the mustangs are still solid rear .
Old 09-05-2010, 02:46 AM   #51
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
ahhh the spindle, yeah old school cars has the strut casing welded with spindle. its funny how a ae86 has less parts than the modern cars . yeah the solid rear vs independent rear are always a good debate, the feel and grip level but on modern cars independent rear is a must don't know why the mustangs are still solid rear .
Cuz, they're morons!

It's same thing why Viper still using that 80's pos heavy cast-iron pushrod v10 instead of upgrading their engine & put some technology into it.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:57 AM   #52
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Cuz, they're morons!

It's same thing why Viper still using that 80's pos heavy cast-iron pushrod v10 instead of upgrading their engine & put some technology into it.
Not morons. Just cheap.

Because titanium.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #53
MtnDrvr86

Drives: 2002 honda civic ex
It does great on the track, the solid rear axle. But independant is better for bumbs in the corners.
MtnDrvr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #54
4agze

Garage
Quote:
Cuz, they're morons!

And they say the new vette still have lift springs? WTF
Old 09-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #55
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
And they say the new vette still have lift springs? WTF
Totally different than old-school steel multi-leaf springs used to locate solid axles. The 'Vette's are transverse mounted and made out of composite materials. I don't fully understand why when there are perfectly good coils available, but they are pretty advanced and the 'Vettes handle pretty damn good.

Because titanium.