follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-23-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
aspera

Drives: SW20 MR2, bugeye WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Jowett Jupiter/spark plugs

http://www.jowettjupiter.co.uk/specs.htm

I read about this an automotive design magazine (that was also printed in Italian!?!). They compared the new FT-86 to this old British flat-four sports car (which I'd never heard of) so I thought I'd share it here. I like how the whole hood...er, I mean bonnet...lifts up so you can work on the engine. I be that makes it easy to change the spark plugs.

My guess is that changing the spark plugs on the new FT-86 will be a huge PITA. (Buy Band-Aids, remove front wheels, remove inner splash guards, apply Band-Aids, etc.)

EDIT: I think the Jupiter had a firewall mounted radiator. You don't see that anymore. Only exotica cars like the Lexus LF-A don't mount the radiator front-and-center. The firewall mounted radiator sounds dumb until you figure out that it dumps into the low pressure transmission tunnel. Not bad. The radiator is totally protected back there, too. I don't even think the car would need a heater core because the whole radiator is RIGHT THERE. lol

Last edited by aspera; 02-23-2010 at 06:53 PM.
aspera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
aspera

Drives: SW20 MR2, bugeye WRX
aspera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Im ignorant of the specifics of this firewall mounted radiator system but I dont think I like the idea, many modern motors have succumbed to the destroyer that is excess heat and it just looks like there will not be a lot of cool airflow happening in that location. If the air from the radiator does in fact move down into the tranny tunnel then what, we have to worry about trannies being exposed to hot post-radiator air while really pushing the car? I dont know about all this, I hope they dont get too silly with this car.

Oh, and the spark plugs in my 2.5 n/a subaru took me under 1.5hrs my first time, and Im sure I could easily do it in under an hour now, Im not really worried about that.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
Doty0588

Drives: '00 GC6
Lol but what all is involved in changing them? To me "easily do it in under an hour" still implies close to an hour, when it only takes me just over 5 min to change mine on my inline 4.
Doty0588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
well I cant argue that they are not a 5 minute job like on some I4s, but its certainly not a big PITA. If I recall correctly I had to move the battery, washer-fluid tank, and airbox and from then on it was just a matter getting in there(not that tight actually) and being cautious. At any rate its not like these are changed at very short intervals, I doubt the future community will need to be concerned about this detail.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
Doty0588

Drives: '00 GC6
Ok that doesnt sound too bad, just a lil time consuming like you said.
Doty0588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX
Definitely nothing like my old Kia :P

Very time consuming it seems though. Should be an interesting endeavor for a first time H4 plug replacement procedure.
Siriusly.Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote