follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 08-27-2020, 11:30 PM   #3837
aKaGorganZola

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series. Yellow
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I threw in the act heavy duty pp and organic clutch disc with their streetlite flywheel and it feels great. It takes a little getting used to the lighter flywheel but the way it shifts through the gears now feels amazing. I'm currently waiting on some tech support for my SC but it should be more than enough to handle it until I build my motor. I think it's rated right around 280ftlbs
aKaGorganZola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aKaGorganZola For This Useful Post:
ArrrBussiere (08-28-2020), CSG Mike (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 01:44 AM   #3838
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrBussiere View Post
I am going to comb through some clutch threads here shortly but figured I would try to mitigate a ton of reading about non-SC cars and ask my fellow charged brethren right off the get-go, haha

I will look into that company! The comp stage 2 is rated to 225 at the wheels which is probably just fine, but I also know the car puts down around 280 so I'd like to find something that is closer in rating to the one you suggested! Time for more research!

I am gonna second south bend stage 2. Have this with my car in sig and it feels just like OEM with but a tinny bit more effort to engage. After a while it just feels OEM.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
ArrrBussiere (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 03:08 PM   #3839
ArrrBussiere

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ SC & 2018 Tacoma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aKaGorganZola View Post
I threw in the act heavy duty pp and organic clutch disc with their streetlite flywheel and it feels great. It takes a little getting used to the lighter flywheel but the way it shifts through the gears now feels amazing. I'm currently waiting on some tech support for my SC but it should be more than enough to handle it until I build my motor. I think it's rated right around 280ftlbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
I am gonna second south bend stage 2. Have this with my car in sig and it feels just like OEM with but a tinny bit more effort to engage. After a while it just feels OEM.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
I ended up going with the South Bend stage 2 - will assess flywheel at time of replacement and gauge whether I want to resurface it or go with a new one.

Also doing rear main seal at the same time as well

Thanks everyone!!
ArrrBussiere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArrrBussiere For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (09-01-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #3840
MaxTurbo

Drives: Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrBussiere View Post
I ended up going with the South Bend stage 2 - will assess flywheel at time of replacement and gauge whether I want to resurface it or go with a new one.

Also doing rear main seal at the same time as well

Thanks everyone!!
You definitely should resurface it. Almost every clutch I have installed requires it in the instruction. Alternatively the Exedy (OEM supplier) flywheel is pretty cheap. Anyway you go, have a new surface for the new clutch. Another tip is having a metal centering tool. The plastic ones bend and makes it hard to center it correctly.

I went with an ACT kit, but regret bit not staying with a stock flywheel.
MaxTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaxTurbo For This Useful Post:
ArrrBussiere (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 03:50 PM   #3841
ArrrBussiere

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ SC & 2018 Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTurbo View Post
You definitely should resurface it. Almost every clutch I have installed requires it in the instruction. Alternatively the Exedy (OEM supplier) flywheel is pretty cheap. Anyway you go, have a new surface for the new clutch. Another tip is having a metal centering tool. The plastic ones bend and makes it hard to center it correctly.

I went with an ACT kit, but regret bit not staying with a stock flywheel.
Oh no, I am definitely resurfacing at the minimum. I just meant I will assess the flywheel and decide on whether I want a replacement at the time of install.
ArrrBussiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:34 PM   #3842
taiguy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Has anyone had issues passing OBD monitor readiness checks while having the kit installed? On the delicious tune, my oyxgen sensor monitor would never register as complete, even after a reset and 300 miles of highway and city driving. Unhooked the D-Box and went back to the Edelbrock CARB tune, 120 miles later and now my oxygen sensor monitor is complete but the Evap system monitor is incomplete. I'm doing aimless drives on the highway at 55mph to try and trigger the test.
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taiguy For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-31-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #3843
Silvermk2

Drives: Toyota Supra 2JZGTE VVTi
Usually the EVAP monitor needs the fuel tank to be refueled or at a certain level for a certain amount of time to complete.
Silvermk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silvermk2 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 04:29 PM   #3844
taiguy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermk2 View Post
Usually the EVAP monitor needs the fuel tank to be refueled or at a certain level for a certain amount of time to complete.
makes sense. had to disconnect the battery recently, so I'll be starting at square 1 again. the hard part is finding excuses to drive anywhere these days.
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:07 AM   #3845
jmai

Drives: 2019 PP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So I currently have the JDL uqfp on my car right now but thinking about switching to the JDL dual resonated front pipe, would a retune be necessary when swapping out the front pipe?
jmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:41 PM   #3846
MaxTurbo

Drives: Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmai View Post
So I currently have the JDL uqfp on my car right now but thinking about switching to the JDL dual resonated front pipe, would a retune be necessary when swapping out the front pipe?
Any changes downstream the header should not require any tuning. Maybe something drastic like open dump after the header or the opposite (a big flow obstruction), but even then... your fuel should still be good.
MaxTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:55 PM   #3847
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmai View Post
At the minimum I would recommend having your tuner review a log to see if a change is needed.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #3848
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Sorry in advance for an oil debate, am i stupid for still using 0w20? Keeping in mind the climate here is mild bay area weather. I know it's for fuel economy but i figure the light weight during cold starts has to be beneficial.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:23 PM   #3849
BR-ZED

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So after about 500 miles on this kit, I'm thinking I should probably add Radium dual catch cans. It seems like a lot of people do this at install time.

How easy or hard is it to do after the Edelbrock kit is installed on the car? I wasn't sure how easy it was to access the necessary hoses. Is there some documentation somewhere as to the proper connections to make when you have the Edelbrock kit on the car?
BR-ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:21 AM   #3850
AKITA

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Halo
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR-ZED View Post
So after about 500 miles on this kit, I'm thinking I should probably add Radium dual catch cans. It seems like a lot of people do this at install time.
How easy or hard is it to do after the Edelbrock kit is installed on the car? I wasn't sure how easy it was to access the necessary hoses. Is there some documentation somewhere as to the proper connections to make when you have the Edelbrock kit on the car?
I had both prior to SC install.. which meant I had to cut new hoses..So doing it after is better IMO. Not hard.. A 2 if that on a scale of 10. Just follow radium instructions which are available online.

Here's a quick rundown.
Passenger side PCV valve connection that is currently connected to SC goes to "can" rerouted .. then the return hose from can to PCV connection on SC, which you would initially disconnect. This will probably require a joint from the PCV valve on the block to the can, which is fine if secured. Probably will do some hose trimming as well.

Driver side can, even easier really.. currently connects to air box. Disconnect reroute to can with supplied radium hoses. Then run return hose from can to airbox to your liking with supplied hoses.

http://data.radiumauto.com/PublicDocs/19-0073D.PDF

They have new unit it looks like too that mounts to the inside or medial side of the battery. It's about the same price for both of the older design, it may or may not be better, but I do kind of like the way they did it.. might take a look

In saying all this and that it is a fairly easy job. Don't feel rushed. And if I were going to I would start with passenger side if doing one at a time. On a pretty mild tune that I'm waiting to be worked on right now on a dyno, I have about 500 NA 500 SC on the cans. So about 1000 miles total. The dipstick is fairly dry on the driver side. Mild residue (which is something but pretty minimal) on the passenger side dipstick.. with no sign of pooling at the bottom yet for either. So I think that is more important side if doing one.

I want to add in this post so I don't just make another post. It seems especially in hot environments that the oil cooler placement if put in front of the LTR can negatively affect to a significant degree the cooling for the SC so that the air can become heat soaked. Makes total sense.. I'm working on this right now with David out of DD Performance Research west of Houston and will post updates as possible. Maybe this is already well known and I overlooked it but if not.. definitely want to keep it in mind
AKITA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AKITA For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (09-06-2020)