follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-29-2020, 09:53 PM   #1
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The Kiske spoiler, Skyline GT-R R35 Spoiler vs. ebay replica

back in 2012, there was this thread. kiske's preview pics start at post #47
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7835

there were 2 known installs before kiske, but he's the only one that documented doing it, so that's why i'm calling the kiske spoiler.

anyways, ebay has some replica gt-r spoilers for cheap, i ordered one, hoping i could use some of the parts in my own install. turns out i won't be able to, but figured i'd post what i learned.

here's the ebay link and picture:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-13-20-...72.m2749.l2649

the positive of the ebay spoiler is that it mounts directly to the oem spoiler holes with no modifications. the negative is that the holes across the rear are still an issue.

i have an oem gt-r trunk lid/spoiler for this, here's the comparison of the 2 next to each other.

overall, the ebay spoiler is taller everywhere.

the center support is also 'chunkier'

but the gt-r wing is wider.

overall, it's a "10' spoiler" meaning it looks good from 10' away, but the significant flaws show any closer than that. the line sculpting is with a heavier hand. just overall chunkier and less flowy than the oem part.

there's also the ton of mold flashing that would require a lot of sanding to get to an acceptable final product

here it is using the oem bolt holes. note that upon removal, i noticed that it pulled the surrounding metal up into the spoiler, due an uneven fit between the parts-- not a problem when i'm going to be fabbing and installing something else, but a serious problem if i was going to attempt to re-install the oem spoiler later on.

and here's the oem gt-r holes. there's 3 of them, with the 3rd in the hole of the trunk rib.

kiske mentions in one of the posts that additional metal is required in the center, as the trunk lid puts quite a lot of force into that center support. it was very apparent with this ebay spoiler as well.

here's a shot of the underside of the trunk lid-- the holes in the bottom are the oem spoiler holes that are on the angled portion. note that there's no support, but it is relatively easy to access the area.

and on the gt-r oem spoiler, i noted that the area was reinforced, with a separate piece of metal between the structure and the outer skin. it's just barely evident through the bolt holes in this shot.

overall, the gt-r lid is build up much more extensively than the brz lid is, by looking at all the solid surfaces in any of the near-vertical areas on the back portion of the lid.

the brz lid is a lot lighter for obvious reasons

moving forward, i'm going to be folliwng kiske's build a little more than what i learned from the ebay spoiler, but nonetheless, the overall placement and bracket fabrication of the ebay spoiler has helped show where the oem gt-r spoiler needs to go, and some of what is required to make it work.