follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2023, 07:10 PM   #29
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Enjoy your Fit then.
I do. It's a blast to drive.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marrk For This Useful Post:
Griever423 (03-25-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 09:23 PM   #30
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
Off-Topic: The engine is what keeps me from buying this car. I'm not a hater. I would like to be in love with the GR86. But really.
and the issues are largely blown way out of proportion because of the enthusiast effect. if we polled only this forum on any topic, we're only getting about 5-10% of the purchasers of the car.

i like this product, i think it's a good idea, but that said, my motor is bone stock, and i've had zero issues with it since the original purchase in 2014.
Old 02-21-2023, 07:36 PM   #31
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Off-Topic: The engine is what keeps me from buying this car. I'm not a hater. I would like to be in love with the GR86. But really.
The "issues" with the new gen are extremely blown out of proportion.

Do some searches on this forum, and you'll find RTV post from 2012 lol

The oil pickup design in these cars is lightyears beyond the outgoing generation. The car comes with a 60,000 mile powertrain warranty for a reason if you're genuinely that concerned.

I've owned all 3 cars, somewhere in the ballpark of 175,000 miles combined of worry free ownership outside of regular maintenance.
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VoltsFRS2013 For This Useful Post:
justinco (02-24-2023), Marrk (03-03-2023), OkieSnuffBox (03-02-2023), soundman98 (02-21-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 01:47 PM   #32
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
That's just true in general for just about every problem with every car.

Remember the Fiero? What's everyone "know" about Fieros? That they caught on fire, right?

There was a specific problem with a small number of the 1984 model that, if someone ran them with basically no oil could cause the connecting rod to fail, blow through the engine block, and dump any remaining oil onto the exhaust manifold. Boom, fire.

The solution was to not try to run your car without sufficient oil (good advice for any car).

But what everyone remembers is that Fieros were always just a notch away from bursting into flames.

The Twins - a tiny fraction of a percent of them have actually lost a motor to what might have been RTV. (Varying degrees of certainty) But "ZOMG RTV!!!11!" is what everyone wants to talk about.

The big scary stories are the ones people can't ignore.

Of course some of it is just good PR/Marketing. Ford recalled nearly 9 million vehicles in the 1990's for faulty ignition switches that could cause spontaneous fire (through no fault of the owner). About 370,000 Fieros total were built over 5 years, of which about 260 caught fire (with no deaths).

Yet Fiero's got the reputation of being fire traps. Ford was able to manage the story well enough not to get the same association (or at least not so permanently ingrained in public consciousness.)

Point is: we tend to remember the stuff that is big, loud, flashy, etc.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spektyr For This Useful Post:
OkieSnuffBox (03-02-2023), soundman98 (03-03-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 03:16 PM   #33
KillerBMotorsport

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
The oil pickup design in these cars is lightyears beyond the outgoing generation.
That's a pretty low bar

We lost an engines at 15K miles due to the resistance welds letting go, allowing chunks of silicone to get into the pump and causing it to split apart. Others have documented the same issue as well.

One of our customers put it best. "The probability of failure is low and seeming insignificant, until it happens to me."

For anyone that mods/tracks their car in spite of the factory warranty, this is an item that is only going to give some additional peace of mind.

What's interesting is a product that may fix something, or maybe even only provide some peace of mind for $50 has many up in arms but spending $2,000 to alter the sound of the car, with zero potential performance benefit, and there is silence from the skeptics and critics. It's the complain about gas prices, but then getting a $7 mocha latte every morning
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
dragoontwo (03-02-2023), formulaBRZ (03-02-2023), soundman98 (03-03-2023), VoltsFRS2013 (03-03-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 03:18 PM   #34
KillerBMotorsport

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
FWIW, we have nearly 10 beta tester units out in the field now and a few more going out next week.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (03-04-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 01:17 AM   #35
Marrk

Quote:

Duly noted.

Last edited by Marrk; 03-03-2023 at 09:21 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marrk For This Useful Post:
VoltsFRS2013 (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 08:28 AM   #36
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Duly noted.

My gripe is not just with the GR86's "issues." It's with the engine design itself. I prefer a twincam inline-4 to a boxer. Having two heads lying on their sides is a dumb idea. I prefer port injection to the ridiculous "port injection piggybacked on direct injection" of the GR86. The only advantage to a flat-4 is carrying the weight lower. But that's me. I'm not trying to disrespect all of the members here.
You've said something similar in multiple threads, so don't buy one.
Marrk (03-03-2023), VoltsFRS2013 (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 09:52 AM   #37
Marrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
You've said something similar in multiple threads, so don't buy one.
You're right. Perhaps I was hoping to hear a good counter argument to prove me wrong instead of simply being dismissed. I'm willing to concede that I could be missing something. But it's not the job of this forum to educate me.
Old 03-03-2023, 10:36 AM   #38
The Red One
Planning summer road trip

Drives: 2019 Sport-tech RS. City car: GD3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
You're right. Perhaps I was hoping to hear a good counter argument to prove me wrong instead of simply being dismissed.
I'm willing to concede that I could be missing something. But it's not the job of this forum to educate me.
Fellow Fit here.

Why not keep the Fit as backup if you don’t trust Subaru motor reliability, it makes for a good parts delivery vehicle for whenever your doubts come true...
That is what I did and im still waiting for my dependability doubts to happen… and really enjoying a different ride.

When I last checked Toyota & Subaru both offered warranties, I always figured if shit is going to happen it will happen early for both electronic & machines.
If you do buy one you will find out that your Fit can sit fine for weeks or months and be there when you need it.

I read a lot on this site before I bought my BRZ and compared to the recurring issues I was seeing on FIT (FitFreak) sites it came out pretty even
(leaks, paint, coils, battery, repeating electrical and bag recalls)
Fit issues were small and daily for some and here it was long-term, boosted or 1st year problem.

After 16yrs with the Fit I finally came to the realisation a lot of the concerns in the Forums were quite overblown.
The Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 10:36 AM   #39
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
You're right. Perhaps I was hoping to hear a good counter argument to prove me wrong instead of simply being dismissed. I'm willing to concede that I could be missing something. But it's not the job of this forum to educate me.
Go tell the aviation industry, Honda and BMW that sideways engines are "dumb". They aren't dumb, they're just different.

Dual injection has been around a long time. The older school systems were port and shower injectors.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 11:06 AM   #40
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
You are. That the number of failures vs cars sold is INCREDIBLY small, which you've also been told in multiple threads.

My local dealer even said they'd be happy to drop the pan, and if there is silicon in the pickup tube, they will fix it under warranty. But if there isn't any, I'll have to pay the labor of around $650.

This is why I'm not going to do anything that could cause a powertrain claim to be denied at the moment. I just have coilovers, wheels, catback on my '23 and it will likely stay that way for a while.
formulaBRZ (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 11:28 AM   #41
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Duly noted.

My gripe is not just with the GR86's "issues." It's with the engine design itself. I prefer a twincam inline-4 to a boxer. Having two heads lying on their sides is a dumb idea. I prefer port injection to the ridiculous "port injection piggybacked on direct injection" of the GR86. The only advantage to a flat-4 is carrying the weight lower. But that's me. I'm not trying to disrespect all of the members here.

You do know that direct injection is one of the reasons we are able to run these high compression ratio's right? With having the port injectors it also keeps the intake ports clean and resolves the issue with just running direct injection. The D4s system is borrowed from Lexus and the reason the first gen was able to hit it's hp/liter that they were looking for while still meeting emission requirements. It's pretty ingenious and most importantly, trouble free.
OkieSnuffBox (03-03-2023), timurrrr (03-04-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 12:05 PM   #42
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
You do know that direct injection is one of the reasons we are able to run these high compression ratio's right? With having the port injectors it also keeps the intake ports clean and resolves the issue with just running direct injection. The D4s system is borrowed from Lexus and the reason the first gen was able to hit it's hp/liter that they were looking for while still meeting emission requirements. It's pretty ingenious and most importantly, trouble free.
And other OEMs are starting to use similar systems after all the issues with the intake tracts and valves getting gunked up by just using DI.
NoHaveMSG (03-03-2023), soundman98 (03-03-2023)