follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-16-2020, 01:38 AM   #29
SubieDoo

Drives: a yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsicle View Post
Did you read the whole thread? We ironed it all out with the trailer converter idea. Why won't that work for you?
Sorry, not entirely the first time. I've never used a trailer converter before. With that, will the side markers stay on as running lights with the low beams and blink in-sync with the front+rear turn signals when activated? -- I think it will work like that but wanted to make sure.

With the trailer converter you linked to:

TO CAR
Right/Left turn - t-tap into turn signals in headlights?
Stop - t-tap into one of the low beams?

TO TRAILER
Right/Left stop and turn - cut the original factory + wire to the side marker and connect this to the side marker instead?

Obviously, I'm a complete noob when it comes to electrical stuff and wish there was a DIY.

Also, will LED bulbs in the side markers hyper flash with 2017+ BRZ with LED front turn signals? Since I have Amazon Prime that gives me free shipping, I decided to find a similar one on Amazon and came across this one. It says not LED compatible. Does it mean it won't work on 2017+ BRZs since they have stock LED headlights and turn signals?

Last edited by SubieDoo; 06-16-2020 at 02:26 AM. Reason: clarifications
SubieDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:09 AM   #30
QHawk

Drives: 2020 86GT
The approach using a trailer light adapter is neat and reliable. However, I might be wrong, but I think the behavior of the lights will follow this pattern:

-- headlights off: turn signal and side markers blink simultaneously
-- headlights on (which means side markers are on): turn signals and side markers alternate blinking (turn signal on/side marker off, turn signal off/side marker on)

This at least seems to be the inevitable behavior of such a circuit. To me, it's fine. Night-time signalling will be especially noticeable. I'm also assuming that the side markers are indeed off when the headlights are off. That's something I haven't checked.

Last edited by QHawk; 06-16-2020 at 04:12 AM. Reason: info omitted
QHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:54 AM   #31
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QHawk View Post
The approach using a trailer light adapter is neat and reliable. However, I might be wrong, but I think the behavior of the lights will follow this pattern:

-- headlights off: turn signal and side markers blink simultaneously
-- headlights on (which means side markers are on): turn signals and side markers alternate blinking (turn signal on/side marker off, turn signal off/side marker on)

This at least seems to be the inevitable behavior of such a circuit. To me, it's fine. Night-time signalling will be especially noticeable. I'm also assuming that the side markers are indeed off when the headlights are off. That's something I haven't checked.
Every trailer adapter I've come across does not function this way. The logic board senses when there is a signal from the turn wire, and simply disables the running/brake light feed signal while it is active. This means it still blinks in sync. If it were a relay, you would be correct in the alternating of the blink, but it's not a relay in there.

That's not to say some cheap version might not work like this, you never know with some of that stuff. But every one I've come across blinks in sync regardless of the state of the running/brake lights.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sharpsicle For This Useful Post:
Busybee (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 08:00 AM   #32
sharpsicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieDoo View Post
Sorry, not entirely the first time. I've never used a trailer converter before. With that, will the side markers stay on as running lights with the low beams and blink in-sync with the front+rear turn signals when activated? -- I think it will work like that but wanted to make sure.

With the trailer converter you linked to:

TO CAR
Right/Left turn - t-tap into turn signals in headlights?
Stop - t-tap into one of the low beams?

TO TRAILER
Right/Left stop and turn - cut the original factory + wire to the side marker and connect this to the side marker instead?

Obviously, I'm a complete noob when it comes to electrical stuff and wish there was a DIY.

Also, will LED bulbs in the side markers hyper flash with 2017+ BRZ with LED front turn signals? Since I have Amazon Prime that gives me free shipping, I decided to find a similar one on Amazon and came across this one. It says not LED compatible. Does it mean it won't work on 2017+ BRZs since they have stock LED headlights and turn signals?
Yep, you've got the wiring 100% correct.

Quick note on hyperflashing, that occurs when a turn signal system designed for standard bulbs is replaced with LEDs. You aren't replacing any bulbs in the system, so it doesn't apply.

As for the LED part of the adapter, it may have issues if the LEDs aren't drawing enough current to trigger the adapter. That's usually why they say the aren't compatible.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:05 PM   #33
SubieDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsicle View Post
Yep, you've got the wiring 100% correct.

Quick note on hyperflashing, that occurs when a turn signal system designed for standard bulbs is replaced with LEDs. You aren't replacing any bulbs in the system, so it doesn't apply.

As for the LED part of the adapter, it may have issues if the LEDs aren't drawing enough current to trigger the adapter. That's usually why they say the aren't compatible.
Thank you!

I think the trailer converter method will only work for BRZ/FRS that didn't come with factory LED turn signals. I haven't been able to find a simple converter like the one you linked that says LED compatible.

As for the hyper flashing question, I actually plan to replace the factory incandescent bulbs (clear) with some amber LED bulbs as I will be getting the clear side markers when I do this mod. Need amber lights to pair with clear side markers.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:59 PM   #34
QHawk

Drives: 2020 86GT
Quote:
Every trailer adapter I've come across does not function this way...
So an adapter like this, used for this purpose, depends on a constant source of power connected to the stop wire--that is, power not tapped from the side marker wiring. Right?
QHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:37 PM   #35
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieDoo View Post
Thank you!

I think the trailer converter method will only work for BRZ/FRS that didn't come with factory LED turn signals. I haven't been able to find a simple converter like the one you linked that says LED compatible.

As for the hyper flashing question, I actually plan to replace the factory incandescent bulbs (clear) with some amber LED bulbs as I will be getting the clear side markers when I do this mod. Need amber lights to pair with clear side markers.
i bet you $10 it'll work. let me know when you need my paypal.
sharpsicle (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 07:38 PM   #36
sharpsicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by QHawk View Post
So an adapter like this, used for this purpose, depends on a constant source of power connected to the stop wire--that is, power not tapped from the side marker wiring. Right?
Yes and no. It doesn't need 'constant' power. Once the stop signal is not present, the device has no purpose and allows turn signals to go through directly. If it has both, it uses the same principle of switchback lighting to cut off the stop signal on the circuit that has an active turn signal to allow that turn signal to be seen without interference.

Edit: To clarify, you could hook this up to turn signals only and it would work. You could hook this up to stop signals only and it would work. It only reacts to what you give it, and its sole function is to merge two signals together properly. If you don't give it both, it doesn't need to do anything. Don't overthink it.

Last edited by sharpsicle; 06-16-2020 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:31 AM   #37
SubieDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i bet you $10 it'll work. let me know when you need my paypal.
I was looking at this converter, which was similar to the one originally linked, except it's on Amazon. It clearly says not LED compatible. I think it's because LED uses less power, which won't be enough to send a signal for the turn signal flash? I could be totally wrong though. All the other converters that claim to be LED compatible are more complex and won't serve this purpose (1 wire going into each side marker, so it stays on with low beams and blinks in sync with turn signal) as effectively.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:37 PM   #38
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i believe they say that to avoid confusion with specific cars that use a PWM signal to modulate the tail light brightness. i don't see any reason that it can't work. the trick is to not tell the converter what it's converting!

also, there's this video of the product:
https://smile.amazon.com/vdp/f21c0d1...f=dp_vse_rvc_0