follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
KungFuWaffle

Drives: Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Question Fix it ticket exhaust help

I just got my second fix it ticket for modified exhaust, first time was with a muffler delete which was really loud IMO. This time I changed it to the muffler delete but with a resonator in the middle(similar to Work's ABM) and its not that loud. Anyways is there anything I can change with the stock exhaust to give it a little growl and not super loud? Like change the mid pipe or front pipe? Or would I just be better off by getting signed off and put the muffler delete with the resonator back on? How many times can they give you a fix it ticket before it becomes something more than just a fix it ticket?
KungFuWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
switch to any of the other "quiet" aftermarket exhausts like TRD, GReddy SP, etc. then take your car to the state ref and have it tested for noise.

fixit tickets dont go on your record so there's no actual limit, but its all a numbers game. especially with the additional hype about the street racing around socal from the dumbass kids, you'll probably get a non-correctable (no fix it) state ref ticket.

if you want to keep your muffler delete and modify the other parts of the exhaust piping, good luck explaining to the ref why you have no muffler but a bunch of resonators...
Old 05-15-2015, 01:05 PM   #3
btoast

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Most people will probably tell you to get the Q300 or Perrin resonated as they are not that loud and will give you the growl you want.

You could also look into getting an Axle back like nameless 5" or Greddy.

Alternatively, you could put your entire stock exhaust back on and install a UEL (if you don't already have one). The problem is, at least in my opinion, the stock muffler does not sound good when it is paired with a free-flowing catless header. Here is how mine sounded with just a UEL and stock everything else.

Startup was rough, but after it was tame, louder than stock, with a little rumble and growl.

Finally, in regards to how many tickets you can get before it becomes something more, I am not sure but I do know you can be flagged for an early smog test.
btoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:09 PM   #4
JS + BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 MS3
Thanked 1,161 Times in 597 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
My Borla catback is pretty quiet. It has some nice growl to it. That's it.

I'm not sure but you should be careful now. One more fix it should come with a pretty substantial penalty. Just google it.
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
996garage

Drives: 03' NSX & 13' BRZ 6spd Ltd white
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It really just depends if the cops marks the check box on the ticket for "correctable violation" or not. If it's checked, then it's just a fix-it ticket. If the cop feels like being a jerk, then he does not mark it.(that's what my cop friend told me) That means you'll have to go to court to resolve the violation.

This will be a bigger fine. I got one over 10 years ago which I think was around $160.

The totally idiotic thing was, if it's marked correctable, then you must get it inspected and pay the $10. If it's non-correctable, then you have to go to court to pay the fine, but nobody actually inspects your car to see if you actually did! The court clerk just told me, "nope, we don't check your car"!

BTW, I have a Greddy SP Elite, and it's very quiet.(which I wanted) Just a bit louder than stock, and never had an issue with cops.(even when I got pulled over for speeding with it on)

Last edited by 996garage; 05-15-2015 at 01:44 PM. Reason: add Greddy comment
996garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #6
KungFuWaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996garage View Post
It really just depends if the cops marks the check box on the ticket for "correctable violation" or not. If it's checked, then it's just a fix-it ticket. If the cop feels like being a jerk, then he does not mark it.(that's what my cop friend told me) That means you'll have to go to court to resolve the violation.

This will be a bigger fine. I got one over 10 years ago which I think was around $160.

The totally idiotic thing was, if it's marked correctable, then you must get it inspected and pay the $10. If it's non-correctable, then you have to go to court to pay the fine, but nobody actually inspects your car to see if you actually did! The court clerk just told me, "nope, we don't check your car"!

BTW, I have a Greddy SP Elite, and it's very quiet.(which I wanted) Just a bit louder than stock, and never had an issue with cops.(even when I got pulled over for speeding with it on)
It's just a fix it ticket, he told me he could've nickel and dined me for window tint, smoked tail lights (valenti), no red reflector on the rear, and some other stuff, but he said since i see that you were cool, I try to be cool too. And I was shocked.

All I had was the muffler delete everything else is stock with the exhaust, if I put the stock axle back on, and put a HFC such as Berk catted front pipe. Would I have trouble passing smog or would it smell funky?
Old 05-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #7
danng

Drives: slow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuWaffle View Post
It's just a fix it ticket, he told me he could've nickel and dined me for window tint, smoked tail lights (valenti), no red reflector on the rear, and some other stuff, but he said since i see that you were cool, I try to be cool too. And I was shocked.

All I had was the muffler delete everything else is stock with the exhaust, if I put the stock axle back on, and put a HFC such as Berk catted front pipe. Would I have trouble passing smog or would it smell funky?

its because you live in irvine... police has nothing better to do there.
danng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:45 PM   #8
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996garage View Post
If the cop feels like being a jerk, then he does not mark it.(that's what my cop friend told me) That means you'll have to go to court to resolve the violation.

This will be a bigger fine.
I got a non correctable ticket and I didn't have to go to court. I just paid the larger fine and that resolved the issue.
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:44 PM   #9
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Drives: Ultramarine fr-s
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Where did you get pulled over at?
Vincenttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #10
KungFuWaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenttam View Post
Where did you get pulled over at?
On irvine center drive and Jeffrey. Right in front of Irvine valley college. He pulled me over also cause I was going 57 in 50 zone. But he let me off the hook for that.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #11
KungFuWaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by danng View Post
its because you live in irvine... police has nothing better to do there.
This is true, but I've never had a problem with exhaust in irvine even with my previous car which was way louder. First time I got pulled over was in mission Viejo.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:02 AM   #12
FRS Johnny

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Irvine is the worst place to drive a modified car :/
I never take my car there anymore. Unless where I need to go is close to the freeway to gtfo of there!!
Old 05-17-2015, 12:44 AM   #13
tfad_terrence
Professional 86 Spotter

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuWaffle View Post

Don't they just check the brightness of the light and not the smoked condition of the valenti plastic? Like if it's smoked and the brightness is still normal will it technically still be illegal?
Old 05-17-2015, 03:02 AM   #14
KungFuWaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfad_terrence View Post
Don't they just check the brightness of the light and not the smoked condition of the valenti plastic? Like if it's smoked and the brightness is still normal will it technically still be illegal?
I think smoked in SoCal is illegal period. Doesn't matter, my valenti turned into fish bowls in these past rain showers. Going to switch to stock and just red them out and call it a day.
The Following User Says Thank You to KungFuWaffle For This Useful Post:
tfad_terrence (05-17-2015)