follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2016, 07:25 PM   #15
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwot View Post
<sigh> Back when most cars were manual, no-one thought learning or driving an MT was any big deal. It's just what you did. No special techniques, no big deal. And new manuals are far more refined and user-friendly than our old 3 and 4 speed boxes from the '50s, 60's, and '70s.

I recently taught my 13 year old granddaughter to drive my FRS. After about 2 hours, she could smoothly pull away from a stop, run up through the gears, slow dons, down-shift, and come to smooth stop. She could back up and do a K-turn. No pretty little girls, grandpas, or cars were hurt.
Now THAT is one handsome granddaughter ......

Good on you for teaching her how to drive a stick......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
billwot (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 07:40 PM   #16
humfrz

It will be a fine machine to learn how to drive a manual.

A heck of a lot easier to drive that the one I learned on ......

humfrz
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2016, 08:34 PM   #17
airjonny

Drives: Nissan Murano
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdizzle View Post
just try to replicate what this guy is doing with his feet and you'll be good.

Pshhft! Easy...
airjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to airjonny For This Useful Post:
humdizzle (08-26-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 09:20 PM   #18
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX86 View Post
get a mustang bro...manual is so easy on them

you put your left foot in

you put your right foot in

you put your left foot out

???

profit!!!
There are only 3 things you need to know to drive a MT.

1) step on the clutch

2) select the gear

3) release the clutch.
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billwot For This Useful Post:
tvrbob86 (08-26-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 09:46 PM   #19
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Drives: Honda Accord (2002)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

???

profit!!!

But what do I do with my hands?
02.ACCORD.DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:12 PM   #20
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02.ACCORD.DUDE View Post
But what do I do with my hands?
Back in the day, after the 2nd to 3rd shift, I would slide my right hand down my dates leg ...... to see how far I could get .......

And then go to the drive in movie and try with my left hand while the right hand was trying to unfasten her bra .......

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Cole (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 10:59 PM   #21
Feathergun

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Special Edition
[QUOTE=02.ACCORD.DUDE;2737959]Hi,

I've owned an automatic FR-S for just about a year - and the longer I've owned the car the more interested I have started to become in cars (after having no real interest before owning a FR-S).

I've recently kicked around the idea of trading/selling my current FR-S and buying a manual despite having never owned a manual car before...

Does anyone have any experience with a FR-S as their first manual car?

Are there any particular things I should know prior to purchase? How does maintenance differ from the automatic? Have any tips / things to watch out for?

Would it be better to buy a beater first and learn on that?

Thanks to all those who reply!

---

As a matter of fact, I just got done doing exactly the same thing. I've never driven a manual, never knew anyone who had one except an uncle who lives really far away, and bought a 2013 10 Series AT FR-S over a year ago. I visited my uncle and while I was there he taught me how to drive stick for about 1.5 hours and the rest was just studying the concept of it online. I was super afraid of the test drive and looking like a dumbass but I made it through it without stalling (peeled out in second a bit though lol). Anyways, I love it. First week was a little rough but not bad, the car is very responsive and I think in general a good car to train on, if you do something even slightly incorrect the car is so light that it definitely lets you know. I'm in my 4th week of owning my 2016 Scion FR-S Halo w/ MT now and it's basically like I've been driving it my entire life at this point, still mess up now and again but from what I understand, it happens to the best of them. Its funny you got interested in cars after buying the AT, your story is like me exactly to a T. I wanted to invest some money in aftermarket parts for my FRS but I just couldn't do it to an AT.
Feathergun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:04 PM   #22
Feathergun

Oh, and I should add that while I was timid to go through with the transaction, I would encourage anyone to do so without even being remotely afraid of their ability to drive stick. took me like 2 days to figure it out, the 4 after that to confidently get going quickly at stop lights without stalling occasionally, and just perfect the E-brake start for hills if you need it, but I bet by the time you're over a week in you won't even worry about people pulling up right behind you on hills. Also, don't listen to anyone that tells you, "you don't want to drive a manual in traffic" I drive for work and in dense traffic on occasion, its really not that bad, and I actually find the commute goes by quicker because I'm more absorbed in driving than before.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:07 PM   #23
Feathergun

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=109168&page=3

this was my thread a month ago about doing this exact thing, a lot of good info in their that you're probably looking for, also posted a lot information as I gathered it for the trade-in and purchase. I didn't like the 2017 FR-S styling so I took advantage of remaining dealer inventory of 2016 Scion FRS now that all the dealerships are taking their emblem down for SCION, and I got a good deal and sweet financing through Toyota. Don't let them tell you they still have to abide by "pure pricing" anymore, they don't.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:51 PM   #24
everythingsablur

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S RS 2.0
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02.ACCORD.DUDE View Post
Hi,

I've owned an automatic FR-S for just about a year - and the longer I've owned the car the more interested I have started to become in cars (after having no real interest before owning a FR-S).

I've recently kicked around the idea of trading/selling my current FR-S and buying a manual despite having never owned a manual car before...

Does anyone have any experience with a FR-S as their first manual car?

Are there any particular things I should know prior to purchase? How does maintenance differ from the automatic? Have any tips / things to watch out for?

Would it be better to buy a beater first and learn on that?

Thanks to all those who reply!

---

edit: I've got no real time frame here as I love my automatic (purchased used, fully paid off) and there's nothing wrong with it... I guess it's just for the first time in my life I'm "intrigued" by the "other side" (stick vs. slushbox). I also have a love hate relationship with the color of my car - gray - and wouldn't mind owning a brand new vehicle now that I know the FR-S definitely suits my needs / tastes.
The FR-S is not my first manual transmission. That was my 2005 MINI Cooper S, which for the time was also a really easy car to learn how to drive MT on. My first time rowing my own gears was that test drive, and I maybe stalled it once (the first time getting it moving), then never again that day.

The FR-S has a really easy to work clutch (though it's also a bit "dead" if you're looking for something more tactile and engaging), and pretty nice short throws. IMO it's pretty easy to learn on because of that. I drove a coworker's mid-2000s Mustang and felt like I was going to break my left foot trying to clutch that thing.

I really am not sure why there is such fear and trepidation behind MTs any more. Sure ATs have come a long way and can actually be pretty good, but there is really nothing complicated about manuals. Listen to the engine, clutch down, off the gas, shift gears, on the gas, clutch out. I taught myself after looking at one website, watching a YouTube video, and listening to when my AT car would shift.
2016 Scion FR-S Release Series 2.0 #170/1000
everythingsablur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:58 AM   #25
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Back in the day, after the 2nd to 3rd shift, I would slide my right hand down my dates leg ...... to see how far I could get .......

And then go to the drive in movie and try with my left hand while the right hand was trying to unfasten her bra .......

humfrz
If sliding your hand "down" the leg you were doing things wrong!
Cole (08-26-2016), everythingsablur (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 11:14 AM   #26
Fishbed77

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
It will be a fine machine to learn how to drive a manual.

A heck of a lot easier to drive that the one I learned on ......
Very similar to the late 40s Chevrolet Load Master hay truck that was the first manual (outside of tractors) that I drove as a kid (in the early 90s).

As for leaning to drive in traffic, it was my first car - a 1989 Cherokee XJ with the horrible Peugeot BA10/5 transmission. If you can learn to drive one of those smoothly, you can drive anything. The FR-S manual is light years easier to drive, even with its very vague clutch feel.

Last edited by Fishbed77; 08-27-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Fishbed77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:09 PM   #27
Hot-Lava_Dave

Drives: 2016 Hot Lava MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

???

profit!!!

Haha, it's like the hokey pokey song! Except the last line would be "then you take the whole crowd out"
Hot-Lava_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:19 PM   #28
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot-Lava_Dave View Post
Haha, it's like the hokey pokey song! Except the last line would be "then you take the whole crowd out"
i didn't want to scare the OP off from buying a mustang....couldn't actually tell him what happens when you take your left foot out
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote