follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2021, 11:46 AM   #1
gm5oh

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Crank Pulley Replacement

Hello,

Yesterday I replaced my crank pulley with the lightweight Perrin crank pulley. When I removed the OEM one the spacer came out with it which was fine, I was able to remove the spacer and reposition it flush the way it came out onto the crank key. Upon removing the spacer from the OEM pulley, however, I did notice an oil leak. So I decided to proceed with the install despite not having a replacement o ring since this was my daily and the Subaru dealership nearby didn’t have one in stock. I proceed by installing the crank pulley and torquing to spec and there was no pulley wobble and the car drove fine. It wasn’t until I drove the car home that night that I decided to pop the hood and check out the pulley. Upon doing so I noticed some oil on the crank pulley. I had a theory that this oil was from the crank bolt since I did lube it with oil but it seemed like a little too much for it to be that. In the meantime, I drove my car to work today and I popped the hood and there was no oil on the pulley since I cleaned it last night. I’m going to continue driving it and checking the oil level / pulley until the o ring and crank bolt (because apparently the crank bolt is a one time use bolt?) I ordered get to the dealership. My question is, is this because I did not replace the crank spacer o ring or die to something else.

I’ve included a picture of the inside of my crank spacer hub with it removed, a pic of the pulley with oil on it from last night, and a video of the pulley running post-install (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KDl...ew?usp=sharing).
Attached Images

Last edited by gm5oh; 08-13-2021 at 12:15 PM.
gm5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:55 AM   #2
Frankz54

Drives: 2019 Toyota GT86
When i changed mine i didn't replace the o ring and i used the same stock bolt even tho it says not too. I torq to spec and have not had any issues. Only thing i can think of is to make sure the ring is sitting correctly and you put the pulley correctly with that little pin that can pop out. Forgot the name.

Your video looks normal too bro. My recommendation would be, change the crank bolt and redo it. Keep us posted!
Frankz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankz54 For This Useful Post:
gm5oh (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 05:00 AM   #3
gm5oh

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankz54 View Post
When i changed mine i didn't replace the o ring and i used the same stock bolt even tho it says not too. I torq to spec and have not had any issues. Only thing i can think of is to make sure the ring is sitting correctly and you put the pulley correctly with that little pin that can pop out. Forgot the name.

Your video looks normal too bro. My recommendation would be, change the crank bolt and redo it. Keep us posted!
So since I wiped the oil off the pulley there seems to be no more oil leaking from wherever that came from. Oil level is fine. I have the o ring and crank pulley bolt but I’m going to refrain from replacing both until I see anymore symptoms of a faulty o ring. But thanks for your input, appreciate it!
gm5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:01 PM   #4
Frankz54

Drives: 2019 Toyota GT86
Glad to hear bro. Keep us posted!
Frankz54 is offline   Reply With Quote