follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 08-09-2021, 04:02 AM   #1
Deadstuff

Drives: 2014 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Engine bay rattle over small bumps or hard braking

Hi guys, been lurking here while I was looking for which car to purchase and just over 4 months ago picked up a 2nd hand 86 with under 80,000kms on the clock. Condition was great and purchased from a very reputable dealership here in Dubai.

2014 Model
Manual Transmission
Unmodified
Previous single owner, middle aged man from new.

On to the issue...
First time I properly popped the hood after buying it was about a month ago in order to refill the wiper reservoir. After that, there was a slight rattling sound when going over uneven ground or when the ABS kicks in during hard braking. Now I've got the feeling that it's just the hood prop rattling up and down as it sounds like hard plastic on metal, however after doing some reading on various topics posted on this forum today, I'm having doubts as to if my very basic assumption is correct.

I'm not very mechanically inclined, in the sense that i've hardly ever done my own maintenance (labour is incredibly cheap here..), but I'm more than willing to troubleshoot and learn in the process.

When travelling at high speeds - No sound
When traveling at low speeds, such as a car park or residential community, I hear it rattle over uneven ground.
Speed bumps - No sound due to proper shock travel.
Hard braking/ABS engaging - Rattling sound consistent with the feel of the ABS engaging. When the ABS is not engaging, such as medium-hard braking at low speed, no sound.

I did a basic examination of the hood prop and found that although it's clipped in securely, there is some pretty noticeable play from where the prop connects into the body of the car. Is there a basic way of tightening this, specifically without risking damage to the unit?

Unfortunately I don't have a manual, I should really download and print one off, but i'm more than happy to take any pictures and try to be as detailed as possible if anyone is able to help!

I haven't noticed any performance issues or any sounds other than this.

Looking forward to any responses and thanks in advance!
Deadstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:23 AM   #2
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Can you feel it mostly in the steering wheel?

My car had very similar symptoms when this was broken.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133606
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:06 AM   #3
Deadstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Can you feel it mostly in the steering wheel?

My car had very similar symptoms when this was broken.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133606
I'm just about to leave the office, I didn't think about feeling through the steering, I'll report back as soon as I get home. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Deadstuff For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 01:25 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well, if you suspect the hood prop rattling, I suggest you duck tape it down and see if the noise stops.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 02:36 PM   #5
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, if you suspect the hood prop rattling, I suggest you duck tape it down and see if the noise stops.

Is that bubba’s idea? Genius!
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 02:38 PM   #6
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstuff View Post
I'm just about to leave the office, I didn't think about feeling through the steering, I'll report back as soon as I get home. Thanks!

If you can feel the clattering through the steering wheel on a gravel/dirt road at ~15mph, it’s likely the power steering coupler.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:00 PM   #7
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Is that bubba’s idea? Genius!
Well, of course -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:56 AM   #8
Deadstuff

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

Sorry I didn't reply last night, got caught up with a few things and completely forgot until I jumped in the car again this morning.

So, I can feel the rattle slightly through the steering wheel. It's not massively pronounced, but it's definitely there. I'll take a look at the link posted and work my way around opening up the steering cover.

The rattle is at low speeds over uneven roads and also when braking at high speed (around 120-140kmph) and also when braking hard from about 70/80kmph. I had assumed that the rattle and feedback from high-speed braking was due to the ABS being very trigger happy and engaging early, if someone could confirm this is normal? As I like to say..you don't buy a Ferrari and drive it like a Fiat!

I assume that if it was the hood prop rattling, I wouldn't get any steering wheel feedback which coincides with the sound. However, I'll tape it down as suggested and be able to eliminate it as a possibility.

I'm very new to the whole self-maintenance gig, but considering how much I love this car I'm more than ready to learn, so I do appreciate your patience and all the support! Hopefully over the next few months if I can get some finances in order I'm hoping to locate a solid garage here which can help me out with some simple engine mods to try and eliminate the torque dip - it's my only real gripe about the car.

Thanks again!
-Deadstuff

Last edited by Deadstuff; 08-10-2021 at 04:00 AM. Reason: details, more details!

Tags
rattle, toyota 86