follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2021, 10:34 AM   #1
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GR86 Tire question

Okay, so the 1st gen shipped with summer tires that were all kinds of bad in cold temperatures.

From what I've read on Michelin's website they don't appear to refer to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (not 4S) as a "summer tire". Many of the reviews on it are actually for the 4S, which makes that whole section worthless because if someone doesn't know there's a difference between the two how would their opinion on either actually matter?

Worse, Toyota won't start taking orders for the GR86 until October most likely, and delivery will be 4-8 weeks after that. Around here, that's distinctly "not summer".

Does anyone know what the glass transition temperature on these tires is? (EDIT: I will be getting the Premium with the 18" wheels and better tires, which is why I'm talking about the PS4 and not the other option.)

I'd been looking forward to getting to drive this car before winter hit, but now it's looking like I'll have to wait for spring to really enjoy it.

Thoughts? Ideas? Recommendations?
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:52 AM   #2
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
The Pilot 4 (without S) is still a summer tire. It's slightly less sporty than the 4S, but had better size availability globally (the 4S isn't available in 17 inch sizes in Europe, for example).

Either wait for spring or buy in fall and get a set of winter wheels and tires. If you plan on driving the car in the winter anyway, it shouldn't matter. Depends on whether or not you can wait.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:12 AM   #3
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post
Okay, so the 1st gen shipped with summer tires that were all kinds of bad in cold temperatures.

From what I've read on Michelin's website they don't appear to refer to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (not 4S) as a "summer tire". Many of the reviews on it are actually for the 4S, which makes that whole section worthless because if someone doesn't know there's a difference between the two how would their opinion on either actually matter?

Worse, Toyota won't start taking orders for the GR86 until October most likely, and delivery will be 4-8 weeks after that. Around here, that's distinctly "not summer".

Does anyone know what the glass transition temperature on these tires is? (EDIT: I will be getting the Premium with the 18" wheels and better tires, which is why I'm talking about the PS4 and not the other option.)

I'd been looking forward to getting to drive this car before winter hit, but now it's looking like I'll have to wait for spring to really enjoy it.

The Pilot Sport 4 and 4S are both summer tires and won't do as well in anywhere below 10 deg C road temperatures especially when they are stored outdoors and then driven on said road conditions.

If you're not dealing with snow or ice on the ground, the tires are good enough to pick up from the dealer, drive home and store for the winter (assuming your garage is heated or it doesn't drop to freezing wherever it is).

Otherwise, I'd suggest you take on delivery in the spring.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:14 AM   #4
StE92ve

Drives: 2014 Mazda CX-5
Quote:

Just checked on Tire Rack's website and they have the 2022 GR86 Premium with MICHELIN: PILOT SPORT 4 Max Performance Summer
StE92ve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StE92ve For This Useful Post:
Spektyr (08-27-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 12:05 PM   #5
stilesg57

Drives: Shopping Mustang GTs and BRZs/86s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you’re going to winter DD it like I plan to, this is a good argument for getting the base trim with the 17s, pulling the Primacies off immediately and replacing them with snows, then come spring getting a good lightweight wheel and summer tire set.
stilesg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stilesg57 For This Useful Post:
Dake (08-25-2021), Ernest72 (10-29-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 07:57 PM   #6
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Yup, they are summer tires. Don't try to drive on them.

Also, don't get too hung up on it. Toyota announced they are cutting global production by 40%.

"The bulk of the cuts - 360,000 - will come in September and affect factories in Asia and the US."

How that will affect GR86 production is a bit of an unknown, but even if you put in an order, that is no guarantee you will get anything anytime soon. It may Spring until you get something.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:16 PM   #7
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I guess my question is, there are always only two tire choices - the Primacies and the Pilot Sports (unless they start putting the Bridgestone all-seasons on like they did early on) - so what difference does it make when you buy the car? You'll need winter tires eventually regardless.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:05 PM   #8
NLSP

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
...I'd been looking forward to getting to drive this car before winter hit, but now it's looking like I'll have to wait for spring to really enjoy it.

Not all is lost; this car is a hoot in the winter too. Wet roads and cold temps means you can access that RWD/tail-out action easier.

If you're set on taking delivery when they arrive in the Fall/Winter, just have a set of winters ready and don't risk damaging the summer tires with cold temps.

Delayed gratification...
NLSP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NLSP For This Useful Post:
stilesg57 (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 12:21 PM   #9
StE92ve

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilesg57 View Post
If you’re going to winter DD it like I plan to, this is a good argument for getting the base trim with the 17s, pulling the Primacies off immediately and replacing them with snows, then come spring getting a good lightweight wheel and summer tire set.
Or do what I'll be doing. Plan on getting the premium and taking off the Pilot Sport 4 immediately and selling them and will put on Pilot Sport AS 4 (or something equivalent) for year round driving. Don't have the space to store a dedicated set of wheels/tires.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:33 PM   #10
Kona61

Drives: ‘22 CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by StE92ve View Post
Or do what I'll be doing. Plan on getting the premium and taking off the Pilot Sport 4 immediately and selling them and will put on Pilot Sport AS 4 (or something equivalent) for year round driving. Don't have the space to store a dedicated set of wheels/tires.
Yea, I don’t think the wheels and tires should decide which car you get lol.
Kona61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:47 PM   #11
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona61 View Post
They should have made wheels an option.
There's literally no reason that the base model has to come with 17's and the premium trim has to come with 18s.

Oh, and that applies to the duckbill spoiler too.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
Jegan_V (08-26-2021), McMCOO (09-07-2021), Nails (08-26-2021), StE92ve (08-26-2021), stilesg57 (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 04:34 PM   #12
StE92ve

Quote:
Yup, If I was going to track the car, I would definitely go with the base and make my own set up from there. But I'm not so I want the added features of the Premium. If I would have bought a Gen1, even though they offered AS as a no cost option (IMO, they were not worth the rubber tree they were made from), I would have went with the summer tires and do what I'm planning to do with the GR86. Now, if they do offer a better AS tire as a no cost option for the GR86, that's another thing to consider.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:05 PM   #13
stilesg57

Drives: Shopping Mustang GTs and BRZs/86s
Quote:
Why not when they’re the majority value-wise of a $1,500 package…

There are other reasons to get the base model than just wheels and tires IMO:

- I don’t like the duckbill spoiler (this is a big reason why I’m favoring the BRZ)
- Ultrasuede on high-touch areas like the seats and upper door panels (ask me what the alcantara steering wheel on my old ZHP 330i looked like after 30k miles)

Really the only thing I actually want off the higher trim is the blind spot system. Wish I could get that a la carte.
stilesg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:27 PM   #14
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilesg57 View Post
Why not when they’re the majority value-wise of a $1,500 package…

There are other reasons to get the base model than just wheels and tires IMO:

- I don’t like the duckbill spoiler (this is a big reason why I’m favoring the BRZ)
- Ultrasuede on high-touch areas like the seats and upper door panels (ask me what the alcantara steering wheel on my old ZHP 330i looked like after 30k miles)

Really the only thing I actually want off the higher trim is the blind spot system. Wish I could get that a la carte.
The base doesnt have ultrasuede touch points?
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote