follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-28-2021, 07:41 PM   #1
Swolzee

Drives: Honda Insight
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Limited vs Premium / Zenki vs Kouki

I have what I believe to be an unusual take that I feel like I'm the minority on this but I wanted to get some feedback from the community. These observations are based on both aesthetics and functionality.

Let me first say that I hate the nomenclatures of limited and premium. They both define the same thing and to anyone that's not in the know it's just confusing and dumb.

Okay now that I got that out of the way I can start making my points. I knew that I wanted a twin, or now I guess you could call it the triplets, but out of the three variants the BRZ looks the most "mature". I mean for God's sakes it's got a mustache, am I right?!
Seriously, the other two variants in all iterations seem a bit more juvenile and body kit-ish looking bumpers. So therefore I chose a BRZ.

In My search for a vehicle I was focused on a Kouki premium in black. Of these three features I ranked them in level of importance (greatest to least greatest) color, trim level, generation. I specifically wanted black because I knew that I would be vinyl wrapping it and I wanted the engine bay trunk and all the door jambs to be black. As my search went on I found a very good deal I couldn't pass up on black zenki limited.

So now I ended up with only one of my three options checked off. It was the most important option to me so I could deal with that.

All of this was just a long-winded preamble for me to get to this next part
Move forward in time to now and here's where I stand and what I realize:

After comparing the Zenki and Kouki bumpers I really love the slender DRLs and the horizontal vent/fins below them. In fact I like it much more than the Kouki.
Moving on to the trim level. I actually think the events alone and the DRLs have a more sleek aggressive look to them than they do with the fog lights. Functionality wise I am now about to cut the back side out and use it as an air vent for my oil cooler.
Carrying on with the trim level where I do still love the toggle switches and the push button start, I have heard many owners complain about the over complexity of the toggles and comparison to the three knobs in the limited for the HVAC. Start button-wise I am actually using that lower section now for a single din head unit which is going to be crucial for the layout of my interior both aesthetically and functionally.

So there you have it. I like the Zenki better than the Kouki, and the Limited better than the Premium. Change my mind.
Swolzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:55 PM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I am in agreeance. I like the 1st gen FR-S because it is simple. I do not want heated seats, toggle switches and other shit, I just want the most basic level of vehicle offered. If there was a model without power steering, A/C, power windows, I'd take it. I like how the FR-S bumper looks most over the rest as well.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:03 PM   #3
Swolzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I am in agreeance. I like the 1st gen FR-S because it is simple. I do not want heated seats, toggle switches and other shit, I just want the most basic level of vehicle offered. If there was a model without power steering, A/C, power windows, I'd take it. I like how the FR-S bumper looks most over the rest as well.
Both BRZ's I like better, but Zenki FRS is next. The 86 brings up the rear with it's angry catfish face.
Old 05-31-2021, 12:10 AM   #4
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
imo:

Zenki basic interior = cheap
Zenki dual hvac interior = plasticky
Kouki basic interior = updated leather/granlux pieces makes the cheapness of the center stack stand out a little bit more.
kouki dual hvac interior = the carbon fibre bits takes away some of that plastickiness.

exterior:
Zenki BRZ = bleh
kouki brz = more refined.
I wasnt a fan of the BRZ nose mind you.

Zenki 86/FRS = Aggressive. I like it.
Kouki 86 = looks more aggreisve and I like it. It also looks a bit more "mature" than the Zenki and i also think it makes the Zenki look a little dated. I just dont like the straight on shot, that is not a good look lol.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 08:42 AM   #5
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Why do I need to change your mind? Seems to be a petty argument in the first place that is positioned to split hairs...

I like my '14 because:
1 it's paid off
2 parts are easy to come by
3 no LCD in the gauges
NWFRS (08-08-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 09:06 AM   #6
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
My twin is best twin because lightest.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 09:20 AM   #7
Swolzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
Why do I need to change your mind? Seems to be a petty argument in the first place that is positioned to split hairs...

I like my '14 because:
1 it's paid off
2 parts are easy to come by
3 no LCD in the gauges
It's a semantically overloaded talking starter. Not a literal request. Just to create more interest rather than saying "what is your opinion".

That is a good point though. I'm wondering how people do like the screen insert in the gauge bezel I have no experience with it.
Old 05-31-2021, 12:05 PM   #8
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolzee View Post
It's a semantically overloaded talking starter. Not a literal request. Just to create more interest rather than saying "what is your opinion".

That is a good point though. I'm wondering how people do like the screen insert in the gauge bezel I have no experience with it.
I like it, i also like that it shows a buncha stuff.

I dont care about it being "cut into the existing circle pods like an afterthought"

In fact i dont even notice it since im not looking at the gauge bezels only looking at the tach, the digitial speedometer and the info display when i want to see how my fuel mileage is (instant and average) and how much range i have left.
And then sometimes i switch it to the power graph to show me the torque dip just for fun lol.

Last edited by Sasquachulator; 05-31-2021 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:57 PM   #9
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Looks are subjective and there is no "better" or "worse" looking version of any of them. It is all up to the individual.
I personally can hardly tell the pre and post facelift (cookie and zebra or whatever the hell you guys keep saying) without a close look.
The FRS vs 86 looks are much different and more readily noticeable. I was not a fan of the front bumper on the 86 but found that the license plate hides about 80% (that droopy nose below the hood of what I didn't like so am fine with it now. Colour also comes into play. I would not have bought an 86 in Lava no matter how much I loved the colour. The bumper made it to Jack-O-Lantern like for me. The dark colour of the Hakone actually makes the looks work though. Now it is more angry frog.

I came to the FRS from a run of top trim Lancers and am not ashamed to say I missed the niceties that the FRS lacked. I muttered curses under my breath every single time I had to reach into my pocket to get the keys to open and start it and don't get me going on the battle to try to maintain some semblance of a steady temperature with the manual HVAC.
Now I touch the door and it unlocks, push a button and it starts with no more digging a key out like it is 1952. I set the temperature to 70 and if it get's hotter the air comes on, colder and like magic there is heat.
I truly don't understand how this is something people don't like. The rectangle cut into the circles in the dash bothered my sensibilities for about half an hour when I got the Hakone. After that I didn't even notice it anymore. I have never used a heated seat in any car. Makes me feel like I peed my pants as the warmth slowly spreads!
I spend far more time in my car than many though so the little bit of quasi luxury means more to me. Somebody that uses it as a toy or has a 5 mile commute everyday may not appreciate the convivence of some of the features and I get that as well.
soundman98 (06-01-2021), Stonehorsw (06-02-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 09:13 PM   #10
Jegan_V

Drives: 2023 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolzee View Post
Carrying on with the trim level where I do still love the toggle switches and the push button start, I have heard many owners complain about the over complexity of the toggles and comparison to the three knobs in the limited for the HVAC.
Eh? I don't understand who complains about it. Its actually the least complicated HVAC system I've ever used. Dials are basically the same as the basic car only smaller. I set the thing to auto, I pick a temperature I like and I never touch the thing ever again. Of all the extra features, this one is isn't a gimmick, it has never failed to do its job in controlling the climate inside the car...heck I think it does a better job than if I was doing it myself. I only take control if its a day where the windshield is all fogged up, once the A/C clears the moisture, push auto again and forget. If I ever get a 2nd gen, I want this auto HVAC system and its a must-have, that's how much I liked it.

If anything I honestly don't care about the push button start, key or push button start literally makes no difference to me. Then the smart key thing where you don't have to take the key out of your pocket, it works 98% of the time, that 2% is when it either just doesn't work with no explanation or the battery in the fob is getting weak. Truthfully I'd probably be more happier if I got a traditional 1980s style car key, no batteries to replace, significantly lighter, far simpler operation, and when it finally wears out its dirt cheap to replace.
Jegan_V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jegan_V For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-02-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 11:38 AM   #11
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegan_V View Post
Eh? I don't understand who complains about it. Its actually the least complicated HVAC system I've ever used. Dials are basically the same as the basic car only smaller. I set the thing to auto, I pick a temperature I like and I never touch the thing ever again. Of all the extra features, this one is isn't a gimmick, it has never failed to do its job in controlling the climate inside the car...heck I think it does a better job than if I was doing it myself. I only take control if its a day where the windshield is all fogged up, once the A/C clears the moisture, push auto again and forget. If I ever get a 2nd gen, I want this auto HVAC system and its a must-have, that's how much I liked it.

If anything I honestly don't care about the push button start, key or push button start literally makes no difference to me. Then the smart key thing where you don't have to take the key out of your pocket, it works 98% of the time, that 2% is when it either just doesn't work with no explanation or the battery in the fob is getting weak. Truthfully I'd probably be more happier if I got a traditional 1980s style car key, no batteries to replace, significantly lighter, far simpler operation, and when it finally wears out its dirt cheap to replace.
I never understood it either....

The only confusing thing about it is that there are only 6 functions in the basic HVAC and there's much more in the dual HVAC. You just need to figure out where the functions are because whatever is the same between the two, they're just not in the same spot (ex. the venting location function is the left knob in the basic interior, but its a button in the middle knob in the dual hvac interior)
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-02-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 02:47 PM   #12
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
I never understood it either....

The only confusing thing about it is that there are only 6 functions in the basic HVAC and there's much more in the dual HVAC. You just need to figure out where the functions are because whatever is the same between the two, they're just not in the same spot (ex. the venting location function is the left knob in the basic interior, but its a button in the middle knob in the dual hvac interior)
Took me about 8.5 seconds to make the change and figure it out.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:59 PM   #13
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Took me about 8.5 seconds to make the change and figure it out.
I came from a Scion IM so i had all buttons and toggle switches and no knobs.
the temp and fan speed were on the toggle switches.
our X1 has knobs only for the temperature.

Its FAR easier and simpler to use knobs for the fan speed and temp than it is with toggle switches.....heck even flush buttons are easier.
the toggle switches are actually kind of annoying to use in that manner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-02-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 04:03 PM   #14
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
I came from a Scion IM so i had all buttons and toggle switches and no knobs.
the temp and fan speed were on the toggle switches.
our X1 has knobs only for the temperature.

Its FAR easier and simpler to use knobs for the fan speed and temp than it is with toggle switches.....heck even flush buttons are easier.
the toggle switches are actually kind of annoying to use in that manner.
Jegan_V (06-02-2021)