follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 06-26-2016, 11:59 AM   #57
Pete156
I like to eat!

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
"I'm all in"

..........said the old guy

Note: I attempted to find some Track Day Insurance for this event. None of the insurance companies that cover Track Days recognize this event at The Ridge. All other events at The Ridge can get coverage except this one. Has anybody else discovered this?

Last edited by Pete156; 06-26-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Pete156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #58
Bog86

Drives: 2022 Toyota GR86 - TB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HATED1 View Post
SPEEDZONE FRONT LIP SPECIAL for WE'VE GOT 86!

Alright guys/gals SpeedZone a locally owned and operated business in Lakewood, WA will be in attendance at our 86 event and is offering this one time deal at our event for all FRS/BRZ participants!

SpeedZone has agreed to sell and install the front lip pictured below for the FRS and BRZ for $130. It is polyurethane. The $130 including shipping, tax, and installation.

On the day of our event they will install the lip while we enjoy our selves at the meet & greet. All that is needed is that you pay on the day of our big event and the Team at SpeedZone will professionally install the lip!

This is awesome, been waiting on a lip for awhile and now can get one, and installed on the same day!
Bog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:29 AM   #59
PNW FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic3856 View Post
Might be a stupid question, but I too am curious at how the lapping will go: I plan on bleeding them, but do I NEED to upgrade my brake pads? I'm still on the stockers
The following information is tentative at this time. There will be a Driver's Meeting on the morning of July 10; prior to anyone going out on the track.

Important Note... the track component of this event is not to be compared with traditional track day events such as High Performance Driving Experience (HPDE -- e.g., Hook-on-Driving which can run about $400 for an event). The intent of this low-cost access to The Ridge track is to give 86 drivers a safe (and fun!) exposure to "running on a track" with a minimum of fuss and muss.

- There is no "Tech Inspection" but common sense dictates that anyone signing up should take all steps to ensure their car is in viable working condition. If your brakes "need" bleeding; probably a good idea to do so. If you want to run on the track and your car has a leak... get it fixed. If your tire tread is getting down to the wear bars, get some new shoes and break them in (a couple of hundred miles) before taking the car out on the track.

All "loose" items in the car (interior and trunk) must be taken out before getting out on the track. (e.g., no having your smart phone on the passenger seat so you can try and grab a pix...).

- This is a "Lead/Follow/No passing" track event. We will try to get as many "runs" in as time permits during the day.

- Every attempt will be made to try and consolidate experienced drivers in their own group(s) -- or -- to put experienced drivers at the front of a pack (approx. 10 cars); following the Lead Car.

- Speeds around the track will not be too dissimilar to what you do everyday. The Lead Car is expected to hit as high as ~80 mph on the straights and speeds in turns could be in the 30-45 mph range.

- Since The Ridge is not requiring a helmet for the track time, this should be an indicator that the Lead Car will not be taking a pack of cars into speed situations - in turns -- that potentially cause a car to over-steer or under-steer to the point of "losing it...". The Lead Car will help drivers navigate safe "Lines" through turns; hence the "no passing" thing mentioned above.

Note: Helmets ARE required for Gymkhana.

There will be a limited # of loaner helmets; sizes and availability not guaranteed and purchase of a "Head Sock" will be required if you borrow a helmet (you keep the sock...).

As mentioned above, complete details (and rules, etc.) will be explained during the Driver's Meeting (given by The Ridge Staff) on the morning of July 10.

Bottom line, this should be a fun time!! (And it's not Le Mans! )
The Following User Says Thank You to PNW FRS For This Useful Post:
HATED1 (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 02:11 AM   #60
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW FRS View Post
The following information is tentative at this time. There will be a Driver's Meeting on the morning of July 10; prior to anyone going out on the track.

Important Note... the track component of this event is not to be compared with traditional track day events such as High Performance Driving Experience (HPDE -- e.g., Hook-on-Driving which can run about $400 for an event). The intent of this low-cost access to The Ridge track is to give 86 drivers a safe (and fun!) exposure to "running on a track" with a minimum of fuss and muss.

- There is no "Tech Inspection" but common sense dictates that anyone signing up should take all steps to ensure their car is in viable working condition. If your brakes "need" bleeding; probably a good idea to do so. If you want to run on the track and your car has a leak... get it fixed. If your tire tread is getting down to the wear bars, get some new shoes and break them in (a couple of hundred miles) before taking the car out on the track.

All "loose" items in the car (interior and trunk) must be taken out before getting out on the track. (e.g., no having your smart phone on the passenger seat so you can try and grab a pix...).

- This is a "Lead/Follow/No passing" track event. We will try to get as many "runs" in as time permits during the day.

- Every attempt will be made to try and consolidate experienced drivers in their own group(s) -- or -- to put experienced drivers at the front of a pack (approx. 10 cars); following the Lead Car.

- Speeds around the track will not be too dissimilar to what you do everyday. The Lead Car is expected to hit as high as ~80 mph on the straights and speeds in turns could be in the 30-45 mph range.

- Since The Ridge is not requiring a helmet for the track time, this should be an indicator that the Lead Car will not be taking a pack of cars into speed situations - in turns -- that potentially cause a car to over-steer or under-steer to the point of "losing it...". The Lead Car will help drivers navigate safe "Lines" through turns; hence the "no passing" thing mentioned above.

Note: Helmets ARE required for Gymkhana.

There will be a limited # of loaner helmets; sizes and availability not guaranteed and purchase of a "Head Sock" will be required if you borrow a helmet (you keep the sock...).

As mentioned above, complete details (and rules, etc.) will be explained during the Driver's Meeting (given by The Ridge Staff) on the morning of July 10.

Bottom line, this should be a fun time!! (And it's not Le Mans! )
I'd be happy to pay $200+ for it to be an HPDE instead of driving freeway speed around a race track. I'm guessing the additional costs of ambulance and other safety stuff would cost Toyota of Olympia too much which is why they didn't opt for that. Perhaps we can convince someone that each person gets 2 laps full speed with an instructor and by themselves on the race track after the paced laps are finished.

If none of that, then I'll just have to be happy with what I get and just come back to The Ridge for a normal car club's HPDE.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stockysnail For This Useful Post:
Decay107 (06-27-2016), HATED1 (06-27-2016), slyphen (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 03:07 AM   #61
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
I'd be happy to pay $200+ for it to be an HPDE instead of driving freeway speed around a race track. I'm guessing the additional costs of ambulance and other safety stuff would cost Toyota of Olympia too much which is why they didn't opt for that. Perhaps we can convince someone that each person gets 2 laps full speed with an instructor and by themselves on the race track after the paced laps are finished.

If none of that, then I'll just have to be happy with what I get and just come back to The Ridge for a normal car club's HPDE.
This exactly.
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decay107 For This Useful Post:
HATED1 (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #62
Metzatricity

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm in.
Metzatricity is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Metzatricity For This Useful Post:
HATED1 (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #63
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,512 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decay107 View Post
This exactly.
I'm going to side with the event organizers on this one. This is a casual family event with lots of distractions. Most of the attendees have never walked onto a paddock much less driven on a track. With friends and family watching through a hundred smart phones, I easily imagine an unfortunate incident becoming very public.

Let's leave driving 9/10 to a dedicated HPDE event.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:08 PM   #64
PNW FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I'm going to side with the event organizers on this one. This is a casual family event with lots of distractions. Most of the attendees have never walked onto a paddock much less driven on a track. With friends and family watching through a hundred smart phones, I easily imagine an unfortunate incident becoming very public. Let's leave driving 9/10 to a dedicated HPDE event.
Exactly....

If one is looking for a true HPDE event, check out the Web, there are lots of bona fide HPDE events on the summer schedule (e.g., The Ridge, PIR, etc.)
The Following User Says Thank You to PNW FRS For This Useful Post:
HATED1 (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 02:15 PM   #65
gtslow

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Quote:
I'm going to side with the event organizers on this one. This is a casual family event with lots of distractions. Most of the attendees have never walked onto a paddock much less driven on a track. With friends and family watching through a hundred smart phones, I easily imagine an unfortunate incident becoming very public.

+1. SCCA offers Track Night In America for a very reasonable price in the PNW at 3 local tracks.

http://www.tracknightinamerica.com/e...371&within=100

The only questions I didn't see answered was whether passengers were allowed out on track with waivers signed?
gtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtslow For This Useful Post:
HATED1 (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 04:54 PM   #66
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Quote:

My issue is not with the event, rather the way it was presented. I saw "track time" and bought my tickets before more details of the event were made clear. I was (and still am to some degree) hoping we go at a tick faster than Oregon "spirited back-road" pace, but based on the description of expected speeds that does not appear to be the case. On to the whole "public" thing, come on, we are all adults here and each have a comfort level we can drive at, it's not like there is any pressure to go beyond one's abilities even at real HPDEs.

Still looking forward to the event, and I'm sure there will be plenty of fun to be had on the kart track and the autocross.
The Following User Says Thank You to Decay107 For This Useful Post:
HATED1 (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 05:36 PM   #67
gtslow

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Considering this is an event largely sponsored by a local car dealership and not a motorsports or car club I'm very thankful there is any semblance of performance driving being offered to the attendees. There is so much room for bad publicity that I have to think that Toyota of Olympia must love us or Bernie way too much than we deserve to begin with.

As far as everyone being adults and being responsible you must have missed the incidents that went on over the weekend after the Big NW Subaru meet.

It's better to play on the safe side for this event and guage interest for a full blown track day later.

Thanks again to Bernie for spending an incalculable amount of his personal time getting this ready. I'm going to save my criticism until after the event when it can actually be constructive.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
gtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gtslow For This Useful Post:
HATED1 (06-27-2016), rixter145 (06-27-2016), slyphen (06-27-2016), soulreapersteve (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 05:58 PM   #68
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtslow View Post
Considering this is an event largely sponsored by a local car dealership and not a motorsports or car club I'm very thankful there is any semblance of performance driving being offered to the attendees. There is so much room for bad publicity that I have to think that Toyota of Olympia must love us or Bernie way too much than we deserve to begin with.

As far as everyone being adults and being responsible you must have missed the incidents that went on over the weekend after the Big NW Subaru meet.

It's better to play on the safe side for this event and guage interest for a full blown track day later.

Thanks again to Bernie for spending an incalculable amount of his personal time getting this ready. I'm going to save my criticism until after the event when it can actually be constructive.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I wasn't aware, who under-steered into what?
Old 06-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #69
stockysnail
Just the tip

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decay107 View Post
I wasn't aware, who under-steered into what?
The red FR-S or BRZ that won best BRZ crashed for whatever reason, possibly totalling his car. All I've heard is speculation so far. Maybe someone tapped him in the rear bumper, maybe he lost it when going too fast with his 'stance', not sure.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #70
stockysnail
Just the tip

Garage
Quote:

Damn Devil's advocate!
The Following User Says Thank You to stockysnail For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (06-27-2016)