follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Hawaii

Hawaii Aloha!

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2015, 03:43 PM   #1
redsuns03

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Boosted w/ JDL v2.1
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Question Hello from AZ

Hi everyone! I'm moving to Oahu this April and I heard it's stricter there when it comes to modified cars. I tried searching online for specific things that I need to do prior to shipping but the only ones I found are vague answers.

I currently have Eibach Street lowering springs on my stock struts, Raceseng Complete Lightweight Pulleys, Raceseng Front tow hook, Modified CAI, TRD Exhaust and a Seibon TS CF Hood.

I prefer to avoid additional taxes or fees that might impose on me because of my current mods. Are there any tips into getting my car in the island with less hassle?

In AZ, we're only required to have the license plate in the back, would I be needing to bring my 2nd plate to place in front of my vehicle?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 01-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #2
REAV3R
Former Boost Junkie

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
No restrictions that I'm aware of...

...but, I'm not originally from Hawaii. I shipped my FR-S from Missouri to here last year. My FR-S is stock though (I'm working on that bit!).

I'm pretty sure the mods you listed have will not have any repercussions upon arrival. There is a yearly "inspection" that must be performed by a certified mechanic for registration purposes. I am stationed at Schofield Barracks and can tell you that there are MANY MANY MANY modified cars roaring up and down Lyman Ave. at all hours of the day and night. Considering most of those have been modified with parts from eBay, PepBoys, and their buddies garage, they have all been deemed road-worthy by the powers-that-be and pass their inspections. (AND most of the Subaru's around here sound like they are running straight pipes and gutted or no cats!)

As for your plate; Hawaii is a two-plate state. You can continue to register you car out of state (if you're military and a few other exceptions) for a moderate fee. I would imagine that if the state it's registered in requires two plates, you would be required by Hawaii law to display both here as well.

SO! Welcome to the island (when you get here!) and BRING THAT FR-S!
"Asking the front wheels of a car to do their normal job of steering while handling more than 170hp is like asking a man to wire a plug while juggling... penguins... while making love... to a beautiful woman while on fire, on stage... in front of the Queen. It's all going to go wrong." ~ J.Clarkson
REAV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to REAV3R For This Useful Post:
redsuns03 (01-18-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
root

Drives: Raven FR-S
Technically you will need recon inspection for the springs. If its on stock struts though safety inspection might not notice. The carbon hood might need recon, i'm not certain on that.
Safety and recon are two different inspections and fees. Safety has gotten stricter because the system is now computerized and requires the inspection station to take pictures of your vehicle. If a cop pulls you over and cites you for a violation and they see in the picture that the station passed you with violations, the station will get in trouble. It needs to be obvious enough to see in pictures though, things like tint, stickers on windows, modified lights will show.
They won't care about your other mods, except the CAI mod the intake needs to be secure, not rattling around.
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:31 PM   #4
redsuns03

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
Technically you will need recon inspection for the springs. If its on stock struts though safety inspection might not notice. The carbon hood might need recon, i'm not certain on that.
Safety and recon are two different inspections and fees. Safety has gotten stricter because the system is now computerized and requires the inspection station to take pictures of your vehicle. If a cop pulls you over and cites you for a violation and they see in the picture that the station passed you with violations, the station will get in trouble. It needs to be obvious enough to see in pictures though, things like tint, stickers on windows, modified lights will show.
They won't care about your other mods, except the CAI mod the intake needs to be secure, not rattling around.
how about my HID bulbs that I put on there? For reconstruction wise, how much do you have to pay for those? Is it yearly or per parts installed?
Old 01-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #5
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
As mentioned you'll have to have both license plates. Motor Vehicle Registration Fees are charged by weight of the car. The safety check inspection can be done by a auto repair shop or service station as long as they have a safety check inspector there. Also the safety check sticker will be installed on your back bumper. Or you can get a safety check bracket that is bolted to the underside of the bumper. I have the safety check bracket because I didn't want the bumper to be sliced up. Usually the safety check sticker is x'ed with a razor blade to prevent someone from peeling it off the bumper. Yes, people will steal safety check stickers off cars because they probably can't pass inspection for whatever reason.
I'm sure you can buy a safety check bracket from Servco Motors which is the dealership for Toyota/Scion. I believe the regular bracket is only $21.00...Scion etched one is $42.00

The tint laws in Hawaii are 35% all windows. Some auto repair shops don't test for the tints because they don't have the machine so you can save a little more $$$$.
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86geek For This Useful Post:
redsuns03 (01-19-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
root

Drives: Raven FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsuns03 View Post
how about my HID bulbs that I put on there? For reconstruction wise, how much do you have to pay for those? Is it yearly or per parts installed?
Aftermarket HIDs will not pass, or not supposed to. If you put HIDs, they need to be factory HIDs. If they're paying attention, if they see external balasts they wont pass you. You can put back stock bulbs and change them later, but run the risk of having HPD cite you. Unless you have some other violation or the bulbs are blinding, you usually won't be pulled over and citied just for HID bulbs.
Recon is a one time thing, unless you do later mods that need further recon. They will check all your lenses for DOT mark.
You will need a alignment spec sheet from a shop showing everything is within stock specs done within 30 days of the inspection.
root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to root For This Useful Post:
86geek (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 05:53 PM   #7
86geek

Garage
https://www1.honolulu.gov/csd/vehicle/faqs_recon.htm
Wow, I didn't know about the HID's.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
Old 01-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #8
redsuns03

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
Aftermarket HIDs will not pass, or not supposed to. If you put HIDs, they need to be factory HIDs. If they're paying attention, if they see external balasts they wont pass you. You can put back stock bulbs and change them later, but run the risk of having HPD cite you. Unless you have some other violation or the bulbs are blinding, you usually won't be pulled over and citied just for HID bulbs.
Recon is a one time thing, unless you do later mods that need further recon. They will check all your lenses for DOT mark.
You will need a alignment spec sheet from a shop showing everything is within stock specs done within 30 days of the inspection.
So if I get the winjet hid headlights, will it still be a no go?
Old 01-26-2015, 12:02 AM   #9
86geek

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsuns03 View Post
So if I get the winjet hid headlights, will it still be a no go?
Yups, I don't think you can have HID's unless it was factory installed.

From the link I posted: "Installation of aftermarket headlight or taillight assembly(s). Note: All lights must be U.S DOT approved. High intensity discharge (HID) headlights are prohibited unless approved by the U.S. DOT for use on that specific vehicle".

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
Old 03-25-2015, 02:59 AM   #10
Alexandr_Rychok

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Chevrolet Camaro
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello from AZ

Yeaaah Another CBR rider hello matey.. Im not too far from you.. are you anywhere around the Chippenham area?
Old 03-30-2015, 06:46 PM   #11
Kid90
Ball Bearing Turbo

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series
The information stated above is correct. just to summarize:
1.once you get to hawaii get it registered by so and so method stated above, or continue out of state reg.

2. Any suspension, engine, modifications need to be approved by state and you will need a reconstruction permit, if you don't want to get tickets on the daily. *but in all honesty, as long as your car isn't super noticeable or obnoxious and your obeying the law, cops won't care*. =====They will do a bounce test on dropped cars, car must bounce 1-2" up and down.. which i think is dumb... newer sports cars these days don't even bounce 1". They will ask you to push down on the front fender and trunk to prove that it does bounce.

3. If you do plan on getting recon, *which I have done several times, because it can be revoked! mine was revoked last week..* you need to have your modified suspension within factory alignment specs, which depending on your drop, will require suspension arms, camber plates, etc..

4. Aero kits are not recon item, but when you do go in for recon, it has to be bolted down with screws or nuts, no zip ties, or immediate fail. YOU MUST have all factory bumper support, bash bars, and bash foam in the car. They will check. For newer cars they usually don't because they figure the owners don't remove them, because its new.

5. HIDs are acceptable, if it came factory on the model. Safety check and recon never check if you got it. *or never have on my cars* but to be safe, I just angle the HID beam lower so it doesn't blind oncoming traffic or catch attention from cops. However, as i said earlier cops won't bother if you are obeying the law, they will most likely pull you over if your car is obnoxiously loud or noticeable e.g. super cambered wheels.

6. Exhaust, is not a recon item but it cannot be too loud. I do not know the decibel limit but I'm sure you can be a good judge of that.

7. No aftermarket steering wheels, this is also an instant fail. Because unless the car came factory with no steering wheel airbag, you cannot run an aftermarket wheel.

8. Rims, Wheels and Tires can be whatever size you want as long as most of it fits inside the wheel well, meaning no crazy poke or super stretch tires. I like to think as long as it looks safe its okay. The tires and rim size will be recorded on your recon papers so if you decide to change the tire size and its not what is recorded on the paper, when a cop inspects you... You get your papers taken away..

9. Must have all factory amber/orange lights and no clear markers unless that is factory. Lights must be DOT approved.

10. Its not as hard as it sounds to get it. if you have more questions just ask! sorry for the information overload. hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:49 PM   #12
Kid90
Ball Bearing Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek808@outlook.com View Post
Yups, I don't think you can have HID's unless it was factory installed.

From the link I posted: "Installation of aftermarket headlight or taillight assembly(s). Note: All lights must be U.S DOT approved. High intensity discharge (HID) headlights are prohibited unless approved by the U.S. DOT for use on that specific vehicle".
I think you can, since the FRS 10 series and TRD versions came with it factory. You are allowed to run the factory toyota HIDs. but then we enter the grey area.

But recon won't check. or safety inspectors. As long as you don't use those blue tipped bulbs that reflect in the housing and are noticeable.

Just be smart, as long as you got white and not blueish or other color HID then you should be okay.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:35 AM   #13
86geek

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid90 View Post
I think you can, since the FRS 10 series and TRD versions came with it factory. You are allowed to run the factory toyota HIDs. but then we enter the grey area.

But recon won't check. or safety inspectors. As long as you don't use those blue tipped bulbs that reflect in the housing and are noticeable.

Just be smart, as long as you got white and not blueish or other color HID then you should be okay.
Nah, for now I'll keep the headlights stock....

Old 03-31-2015, 05:38 AM   #14
Kid90
Ball Bearing Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek808@outlook.com View Post
Nah, for now I'll keep the headlights stock....
well mine came stock with HIDs and i love it..

I'm curious though, is the stock frs headlight a HID projector? or a regular halogen bulb projector?

meaning.. if you put HID bulbs in the stock non LED headlights would it have a bad cut off? and glare?