follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #2101
Area86

Drives: 2013 BRZ limited SWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So my Gates Racing Blue Belt started to shred and separate while I was driving home from work last night. Out of nowhere I start hearing a loud smacking sound from under the hood so I immediatly pull over to see what was going on and about 12 inches of the outer rib was completely separated. The belt has only 600 miles on it so i wasn't expecting that to happen. The only thing I can think of that would cause that is the pulley I bought from FA20club had some minor knicks on it when I received it. They are minor enough that I didn't think it would become an issue and I didnt want to wait a week for another one to arrive. I should have just said something to FA20club when I received it. Im going to still send them an email to see what they can do. Do you guys think anything else would have caused it?? Here are some pics of the pulley and damage to the belt.

Area86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #2102
CK_Bladesmith

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
^ I would have taken a file to that shit and called it a day^
Raven FR-S mods: Unichip, Ground Control street coilovers with camber plates and strut tower brace, SPC Lca's, Drag DR-38 wheels with Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, Perrin CAI and silicone inlet tube, Perrin 3" resonated catback, Perrin high flow catted front pipe, Rev Works UEL header.
CK_Bladesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #2103
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
After 10 hrs of installation of the FA20club intercooler kit (was not a bolt on job) we strapped her down to the dyno and ran the non-intercooled tune to see what the intercooler does on its own.

Very dissappointed to see it lost about 15 whp. I am guessing this is due to there being a restriction now in the air stream. This data is contrary to what Bill has seen in the past. Maybe he can chime in here.

Loaded up @DeliciousTuning new ROM he made for me that added 5 degrees of timing and made 230 whp. This is very preliminary but I thought it would be interesting to show you guys what happens when you install this intercooler and how much whp 5 degrees of timing advance gave (30 whp). Will be working with Bill to polish the tune hoping to match or exceed innovate's results of 244 whp considering they didn't have a 70 mm pulley, header and exhaust....

Graph shows the non-intercooler tune vs. the advanced timing tune. Both runs on 91 with the intercooler installed.

Tach signal was having issues all night so we lost some data on some runs.
In response to the loss of power, I would assume this is due to the fact that this is a different tune from what we saw the increase. The increase in power of about 10 whp was seen on a completely stock vehicle running the Innovate 75mm package and shelf map. When adding in the intercooler there was an increase in power due to the engine increasing the timing advance at higher RPM's.

On your specific setups we made sure to make the tune extremely durable for the track and heavy racing conditions in cold and hot conditions. So the timing will not add on its own with the intercooler. But this is why you saw an increase in power with the tuning adjustment. It is really dependant on the tune.

If you want something a little more specific, say track tune for endurance or long sessions then I will accommodate and adjust accordingly. At the end of the day it is about making the car reliable for the conditions it will be used in.

Though next will be seeing about making more power now that you have the intercooler on there. Hope you sent some logs.

Cheers,
William Knose
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
ill86 (11-08-2013), sw20kosh (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #2104
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantholdanymore View Post
75mm is the stock pulley. What more power? swap for the 70mm
My tests have shown the 70mm pulley will not make more power than the 75mm pulley, non-intercooled, on 91 octane. This is a factor of low octane, too much heat and too much boost which translates to timing being pulled.

I am in the process of testing the 70mm pulley with an intercooler to see if it even makes more power than the 75mm. We shall see.

Ran the intercooled 70mm (230whp) hard at Laguna Seca all day yesterday for 5 sessions of 20 mins each. Happy to report the power stayed consistent throughout each session! Total blast. My IAT relocation kit is not hooked up yet unfortunately so no IAT data. I'll post a video later of myself trying to chase a camaro SS (and passing a mustang) up the hill lol. I thought that would be entertaining to see.

Last edited by sw20kosh; 11-04-2013 at 12:12 PM.
sw20kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sw20kosh For This Useful Post:
Calum (11-04-2013), cantholdanymore (11-04-2013), CK_Bladesmith (11-04-2013), DeliciousTuning (11-04-2013), EAGLE5 (11-04-2013), ill86 (11-08-2013), lbroskee (11-04-2013), normancw (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #2105
lbroskee

Drives: 2023 WRB BRZ (MT)
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
My tests have shown the 70mm pulley will not make more power than the 75mm pulley, non-intercooled, on 91 octane. This is a factor of too much heat and too much boost which translates to timing being pulled.

I am in the process of testing the 70mm pulley with an intercooler to see if it even makes more power than the 75mm. We shall see.

Ran the intercooled 70mm (230whp) hard at Laguna Seca all day yesterday for 5 sessions of 20 mins each. Happy to report the power stayed consistent throughout each session! Total blast. My IAT relocation kit is not hooked up yet unfortunately so no IAT data. I'll post a video later of myself trying to chase a camaro SS (and passing a mustang) up the hill lol. I thought that would be entertaining to see.
then whats the point of the smaller pulley if we get no gains?
lbroskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #2106
CK_Bladesmith

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Read this part again thoroughly. "My tests have shown the 70mm pulley will not make more power than the 75mm pulley, non-intercooled, on 91 octane. This is a factor of too much heat and too much boost which translates to timing being pulled"
Raven FR-S mods: Unichip, Ground Control street coilovers with camber plates and strut tower brace, SPC Lca's, Drag DR-38 wheels with Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, Perrin CAI and silicone inlet tube, Perrin 3" resonated catback, Perrin high flow catted front pipe, Rev Works UEL header.
CK_Bladesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CK_Bladesmith For This Useful Post:
lbroskee (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #2107
sw20kosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbroskee View Post
then whats the point of the smaller pulley if we get no gains?
70mm + E85 has shown big gains. You gotta run higher octane.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #2108
calispec

Drives: Subaru BRZ with Delicious Innovate
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
My tests have shown the 70mm pulley will not make more power than the 75mm pulley, non-intercooled, on 91 octane. This is a factor of low octane, too much heat and too much boost which translates to timing being pulled.

I have seen the same. I am on 93. The tunes were by two different people so that could have been a factor too but still. Pretty interesting. I am curious about what you find with the intercooler. Check out my build thread for some Virtual Dyno pulls. Probably not the most accurate but all conditions were the same.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #2109
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTuning View Post
In response to the loss of power, I would assume this is due to the fact that this is a different tune from what we saw the increase. The increase in power of about 10 whp was seen on a completely stock vehicle running the Innovate 75mm package and shelf map. When adding in the intercooler there was an increase in power due to the engine increasing the timing advance at higher RPM's.

On your specific setups we made sure to make the tune extremely durable for the track and heavy racing conditions in cold and hot conditions. So the timing will not add on its own with the intercooler. But this is why you saw an increase in power with the tuning adjustment. It is really dependant on the tune.

If you want something a little more specific, say track tune for endurance or long sessions then I will accommodate and adjust accordingly. At the end of the day it is about making the car reliable for the conditions it will be used in.

Though next will be seeing about making more power now that you have the intercooler on there. Hope you sent some logs.

Cheers,
William Knose

Who let you out of the lab? We were promised Innovate stage 2 kit, with intercooler, and 69mm pulley results....

Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #2110
Mr. Jack

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks
Here we have 95 - 98 - 100 RON (we don't have E85)
I usally use 98ron in my car.. maybe 70mm pulley will be a better choice? (not considering the intercooler)

Quote:
You have also a oil radiator?

Mr. Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #2111
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jack View Post
Thanks
I usally use 98ron in my car.. maybe 70mm pulley will be a better choice? (not considering the intercooler)

98 RON is the same as 93 in the US. I'd probably stick with the 75mm unless intercooled.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #2112
sw20kosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jack View Post
Thanks

That is the same as 93. Stick with the 75.

Yes I have an oil cooler and larger radiator.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #2113
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Quote:
That is what I like to hear. Consistent, reliable and fun.

Cheers,
William Knose
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
Area86 (11-06-2013), normancw (11-08-2013), Zach3794 (11-04-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #2114

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Manual in Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I had the innovate intercooler kit installed today at Speedware Motorsports in Redmond, WA. When I picked up the car the mechanics couldn't stop talking about the quality of the kit. They were raving about how each part was individually bagged and clearly marked. The perfect fit of the heat exchanger and hoses really impressed them as well. They said the install couldn't have been smoother. I had a similar experience when I initially installed the supercharger. Kudos to @InnovateMotorsports and @mines13 for this quality kit.

While they were in there I also had them replace the grey plastic fittings (EVAP and brake booster) with brass since the included fittings were stripped and moving freely. Everything is secure back there now :-) Now I just need a catch can.

I can't wait to get the intercooler tune from Bill @DeliciousTuning to see what this baby can do. I'm also thinking there may be a smaller pulley in my future.

1010110 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1010110 For This Useful Post:
CK_Bladesmith (11-07-2013), ill86 (11-08-2013), normancw (11-07-2013), whataboutbob (11-08-2013)

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.