follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List
Crosscharge, go_a_way1, MisterSheep, poudre

Old 10-06-2018, 07:18 PM   #17193
DaBoBo21
Brett

Drives: ‘94 Supra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
I need to get on your level with the suede wrapped panels... Looks great, man!
DaBoBo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:37 AM   #17194
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Put some miles on the 2.1 liter after cleaning her up

ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (10-11-2018), norcalpb (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #17195
cliff

Drives: subaru brz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Where can I get these?

Those are very cool. Is there a place I can get these?
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:29 PM   #17196
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
Those are very cool. Is there a place I can get these?
If you're referring to the switches: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130675

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:01 PM   #17197
Chikna

Drives: 2018 BRZ TS 244/500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quick question guys before I take BRZ back to service tomorrow morning at 10:30. It has only 1,800 miles so far (2 months). Two issues I have: 1) While changing gears from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd - something rubs or metal scraping around gear shifter area or not smooth shifting rest of the gears are fine 2) clicking noise under the wood on freeway. Should I do a oil change? Thanks.
Chikna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:14 PM   #17198
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikna View Post
Quick question guys before I take BRZ back to service tomorrow morning at 10:30. It has only 1,800 miles so far (2 months). Two issues I have: 1) While changing gears from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd - something rubs or metal scraping around gear shifter area or not smooth shifting rest of the gears are fine 2) clicking noise under the wood on freeway. Should I do a oil change? Thanks.
1) it sounds like the gears are grinding... this could be user error (most likely since this is a new car and you are new to manual trans) or a mechanical problem. Let the dealer know about it and they will test drive it to see if there is a mechanical problem.
2) I have no idea WTH “clicking noise under the wood on freeway” means An oil change is not due at only 2 months/1,800 miles... but some people choose to do the first oil change early, that is up to you.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:23 PM   #17199
Chikna

"under the wood" typo should be "under the hood". Sorry.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:29 PM   #17200
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
For the first "issue" I think it's just because you're still relatively new to manual transmission and both 1st/2nd gear are quite short. I do things myself from time to time where I let the revs drop a bit too quick going 2nd to 3rd or 1st to 2nd and get a sort of jolt because I didn't let speeds match up properly.

It's just a matter of not trying to shift quicker than you can when driving normally/smoothly.

i.e. sometimes I'm in some mood or another and don't think much of it, so I try to shift at certain points when I should "be more careful" and deliberate with the inputs.

Clicking noise? Are you sure that's not just the highway road you're driving on? There are some sections of freeways/expressways near me where they aren't completely smooth for maybe 1/4 - 1/2 of a mile or so, and it'll make a slight doink or whatever noise.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:18 AM   #17201
Chikna

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
For the first "issue" I think it's just because you're still relatively new to manual transmission and both 1st/2nd gear are quite short. I do things myself from time to time where I let the revs drop a bit too quick going 2nd to 3rd or 1st to 2nd and get a sort of jolt because I didn't let speeds match up properly.

It's just a matter of not trying to shift quicker than you can when driving normally/smoothly.

i.e. sometimes I'm in some mood or another and don't think much of it, so I try to shift at certain points when I should "be more careful" and deliberate with the inputs.

Clicking noise? Are you sure that's not just the highway road you're driving on? There are some sections of freeways/expressways near me where they aren't completely smooth for maybe 1/4 - 1/2 of a mile or so, and it'll make a slight doink or whatever noise.
I think this is a common problems with BRZ. I just googled the grinding issues and found this video which is similar to mine:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHJDNyDze_I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHJDNyDze_I[/ame]
Old 10-08-2018, 01:12 AM   #17202
trigun286

Drives: '16 WRB Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yesterday but, took her out on the Dragon.

Car handled well with the stock tires with a couple of 1000s miles on them. Only slight squealing as they warmed up a bit but overall felt very planted and definitely helped with confidence in spirited driving.

I would definitely recommend everyone check it out if you can. This is where our cars shine!

Old 10-08-2018, 11:17 AM   #17203
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
I think this is a common problems with BRZ. I just googled the grinding issues and found this video which is similar to mine:

You can google “grinding issues” for any model of car that is offered with a manual transmission and find videos and threads talking about it. 99% of the time when it is a new car, it’s user error. Your previous posts have shown that you are very new to and intimidated by driving a manual transmission car... the grinding will likely subside when your driving skills improve (assuming that you haven’t already destroyed the synchros at that point).
Again... if you really think that there is a problem and it isn’t you, have the dealership check things out... that’s what your warranty is for.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #17204
Chikna

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
You can google “grinding issues” for any model of car that is offered with a manual transmission and find videos and threads talking about it. 99% of the time when it is a new car, it’s user error. Your previous posts have shown that you are very new to and intimidated by driving a manual transmission car... the grinding will likely subside when your driving skills improve (assuming that you haven’t already destroyed the synchros at that point).
Again... if you really think that there is a problem and it isn’t you, have the dealership check things out... that’s what your warranty is for.
I came back from the service and tech also noticed the grinding noise and he said that the noise is coming from transmission which is normal per Subaru. There was a clicking noise and he fixed it took awhile to figure out. He also mentioned to me that next time for oil change @6,500 miles he is going to check the grinding noise. There is a work around this grinding issues: 1) shift from 1st to neutral, pause, shift to 2nd - no noise, of course, REV drops a bit.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:24 PM   #17205
Chikna

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
I came back from the service and tech also noticed the grinding noise and he said that the noise is coming from transmission which is normal per Subaru. There was a clicking noise and he fixed it took awhile to figure out. He also mentioned to me that next time during oil change @6,500 miles (currently it has 2,000 miles) he is going to check the grinding noise. For the time being, tere is a work around this grinding issues: 1) shift from 1st to neutral, pause, shift to 2nd - no noise, of course, REV drops a bit.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #17206
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
I came back from the service and tech also noticed the grinding noise and he said that the noise is coming from transmission which is normal per Subaru. There was a clicking noise and he fixed it took awhile to figure out. He also mentioned to me that next time during oil change @6,500 miles (currently it has 2,000 miles) he is going to check the grinding noise. For the time being, tere is a work around this grinding issues: 1) shift from 1st to neutral, pause, shift to 2nd - no noise, of course, REV drops a bit.
Grinding is not normal... some notchiness going into 2nd when the transmission is cold is normal... but not grinding. Oil changes are due every 6 months OR 6,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Tags
+20 hp, :popcorn:, bragging because we can, brz driving master race, brz whore, damn daniel, dirty frs peasants, fart can, how to waste energy, how to waste money, how to waste time, i like turtles, lazy mods, many tagz, omg pages are fixed…, outlawstar98isanoob, pages are fucked up, pages still fucked, ricers, riflewuzhere