follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2016, 04:42 PM   #1
fanaticalz

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Strange reverse issue

I just installed a clutch + flywheel, and now my backup camera and gear indicator on the dash isn't showing reverse (but it shows 1-6). Instead, the gear indicator shows that I'm in 1st when I'm actually in reverse.

The reverse gear itself works with no issues, and my reverse lights are working.

Here's where it's a little weird. I started the car up once, put it in reverse, and the backup camera came on for a second, then disappeared. So the signal is there, it's just losing it it seems. The backup camera only worked once out of 10 or so times.

I'm not actually sure if this was caused by the clutch install, because I don't know if it was working after the fact or not - I just noticed it the other day. It may have just happened on it's own, randomly.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by fanaticalz; 04-13-2016 at 05:04 PM.
fanaticalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:09 PM   #2
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
@humfrz @Tcoat any ideas on this, I am trying to figure wth could cause his issue (only thing I can think of is electrical, but how one would fck up electric systems while doing a clutch install is beyond me) but am coming up empty (and now it bothers me not to know)
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:11 PM   #3
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I'm going to hazard a guess at

A) You blew a fuse

or

B) You knocked the reverse gear sensing wire loose enough that it manage to stay connected for a second, until you shifted into reverse and that was enough to knock it fully out of place (though, I will admit I don't know if that's a thing or not)
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Moved the shifter sensors around when tranny was off to install flywheel. Not an uncommon thing to happen actually. That is why it flickered once. Probably very close and shouldn't be to major a job to adjust.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:45 PM   #5
fanaticalz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Moved the shifter sensors around when tranny was off to install flywheel. Not an uncommon thing to happen actually. That is why it flickered once. Probably very close and shouldn't be to major a job to adjust.
Are those underneath the shifter? I don't need to remove the tranny again? I had a shop do the install so I've never actually messed around with the shifter linkage or anything.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #6
fanaticalz

Ok, I figured something out.

It does show reverse, and the backup cam does work, BUT the issue is that when I put it in reverse, it goes "too far in". If i hold the shifter in reverse, but pull down a bit (towards center), it will work.. so it's going too far in.. linkage problem?
Old 04-13-2016, 06:14 PM   #7
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanaticalz View Post

It does show reverse, and the backup cam does work, BUT the issue is that when I put it in reverse, it goes "too far in". If i hold the shifter in reverse, but pull down a bit (towards center), it will work.. so it's going too far in.. linkage problem?
Linkage or the switch may be misaligned. Take it back to who did the work and make them fix it.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:45 PM   #8
fanaticalz

Quote:
Linkage or the switch may be misaligned. Take it back to who did the work and make them fix it.
They're saying it's not adjustable so it couldn't be misaligned, but they'll look the shifter plate.

Do you think the clutch itself could be causing this type of issue? Letting the gear go in too far? I don't think that's possible though. Or maybe it's not going in too far (it seems to go in just as far as 1st gear, I have to pull it back about half an inch to get it to "work"), there's just a problem outside of the shifter?
Old 04-13-2016, 06:51 PM   #9
Tcoat

Quote:
They're saying it's not adjustable so it couldn't be misaligned, but they'll look the shifter plate.

Do you think the clutch itself could be causing this type of issue? Letting the gear go in too far? I don't think that's possible though. Or maybe it's not going in too far (it seems to go in just as far as 1st gear, I have to pull it back about half an inch to get it to "work"), there's just a problem outside of the shifter?
Nope the clutch only engages the power to the tranny and would not cause that. They simply have something misaligned just a small bump could do it. The very fact that you can pull it back and make it work means that something is out of place.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #10
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

See the image. The white cable running on top of the transmission, leads to a sensor on each side (one of them is the reverse sensor). I broke one off and did not have a reverse signal at all. I wonder if the sensor is loose on your transmission and thus it works if you pull the shifter a certain way.

Last edited by Sportsguy83; 04-13-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:07 PM   #11
fanaticalz

Thanks @Tcoat - I fixed it. I looked at the shift plate and reverse lockout plate. I moved them slightly to the left, and I also put my hand down with the shift linkage and kinda just wiggled it all over the place. Somehow, that worked. I don't know what specifically fixed it, because nothing looked out of place.

Hopefully this helps someone down the road.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #12
Tcoat

Quote:
Thanks @Tcoat - I fixed it. I looked at the shift plate and reverse lockout plate. I moved them slightly to the left, and I also put my hand down with the shift linkage and kinda just wiggled it all over the place. Somehow, that worked. I don't know what specifically fixed it, because nothing looked out of place.

Hopefully this helps someone down the road.
Good!
Figured it was something basic when you could get it to work by pushing on the lever. Be great if everything was that easy.
fanaticalz (04-13-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 03:33 PM   #13
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Good!
Figured it was something basic when you could get it to work by pushing on the lever. Be great if everything was that easy.
I knew getting the "seniors" in here would prove useful
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
fanaticalz (04-14-2016), Tcoat (04-14-2016)