follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-28-2022, 06:11 AM   #15
KillerBMotorsport

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Could they be mounted more remotely? Like having 2 of them mounted up by the battery, or do they need mounted closer to the outlet source to work properly?
It's not an option we offer, but definitely. Mounting location, bracket, extra hoses and clamps and you'd be good.

We didn't go this route for a couple of reasons. One is that the units are light and don't require additional support. Another is that PCV lines will remain clear and clog free the shorter and closer to heat they are. So tucking them close to the engine keeps accumulation more liquid and less likely cool, condense, solidify, and cause a clog. Although, for anyone that is over the top about maintenance and inspecting these things, this would all be a non-issue.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
ballsdeep (08-03-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 11:27 AM   #16
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
It's not an option we offer, but definitely. Mounting location, bracket, extra hoses and clamps and you'd be good.

We didn't go this route for a couple of reasons. One is that the units are light and don't require additional support. Another is that PCV lines will remain clear and clog free the shorter and closer to heat they are. So tucking them close to the engine keeps accumulation more liquid and less likely cool, condense, solidify, and cause a clog. Although, for anyone that is over the top about maintenance and inspecting these things, this would all be a non-issue.
The main reason I ask, is for the ability to run an auto drain back into the passenger side head where the vacuum pump would be on an automatic car.
Old 07-28-2022, 11:53 AM   #17
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
The main reason I ask, is for the ability to run an auto drain back into the passenger side head where the vacuum pump would be on an automatic car.
Is auto drain back a good idea? Wouldn't that create a positive pressure in the AOS that would counteract the vacuum extraction of the oil vapor.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:02 PM   #18
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
Is auto drain back a good idea? Wouldn't that create a positive pressure in the AOS that would counteract the vacuum extraction of the oil vapor.
One way check valve, there is one on the market, though I am not going to link it on another vender's thread.

It's the main reason I ditched my previous catch can, it was too long and it essentially created a P trap.
blsfrs (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 12:46 PM   #19
blsfrs

@NoHaveMSG: "there is one on the market, though I am not going to link it on another vender's thread."

I didn't realize Ewoks could be so considerate.
The Following User Says Thank You to blsfrs For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (07-28-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 06:09 AM   #20
KillerBMotorsport

Our Turbo EJ setups have a drain back, but the FA is a very different animal. You're not puking out 1/4 quart on acceleration or a hard corner like with an EJ. The FA accumulates a couple mL over a long period of time. Internally, the FA crankcase baffling is far superior to the EJ.

You can drain back any AOS system, but you have to consider the risk/reward of going in that direction, because 90% of the time when an AOS has issues, it's in the drain back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (07-29-2022), NoHaveMSG (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 11:38 AM   #21
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
Our Turbo EJ setups have a drain back, but the FA is a very different animal. You're not puking out 1/4 quart on acceleration or a hard corner like with an EJ. The FA accumulates a couple mL over a long period of time. Internally, the FA crankcase baffling is far superior to the EJ.

You can drain back any AOS system, but you have to consider the risk/reward of going in that direction, because 90% of the time when an AOS has issues, it's in the drain back.
I get what you are saying there. The issue I had with running a catch can is our engines just don't puke that much oil. So it became something that I would skip in my checks before a track day after never seeing anything in the can after half a dozen checks. So I was looking at something more install and forget on top of your design being very compact. Though in conversation with @blsfrs he did mention the good point that you wouldn't know what it was puking if it drained back on it's own.
blsfrs (08-01-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 02:03 PM   #22
KillerBMotorsport

Quote:
I get what you are saying there. The issue I had with running a catch can is our engines just don't puke that much oil. So it became something that I would skip in my checks before a track day after never seeing anything in the can after half a dozen checks. So I was looking at something more install and forget on top of your design being very compact. Though in conversation with @blsfrs he did mention the good point that you wouldn't know what it was puking if it drained back on it's own.
I understand where you're coming from now.

I don't know what unit you were using, but our vortex design works quite a bit better than most. Cans, swirl pots, baffles, and media filled units, generally work well under more specific conditions whereas our units work well over a much wider range of flow. Did you happen to test for what may have been getting past the can you were using? There's a couple of different ways this can be done if you're interested.

From using this design with the 911 market, accumulation varies a LOT based on several factors. We have some customers that drain it every other oil change and get very little (~6,000 miles) and some who drain after a track day and get a significant amount. Based on BRZ FA24 Alpha and Beta testing, we've found the accumulation to be less than what we see on the 911s. Which makes sense because the 911s have a higher output and are turbocharged.

Functionality wise, the units work very well from a separation standpoint. As far as historical data, we started testing nearly immediately after the new gen became available, but that really doesn't tell us anything as far as how these engines change blowby characteristics as they wear, increase power due to mods, E85, turbocharging, etc... This is why we offer a single unit, dual, and for draining on the conservative side. Many enthusiasts are over maintainers, and the couple minutes it takes to check the drain is minor in comparison to the time it takes to change the oil.

Another option, which we offer to the EJ market, because some don't like draining the goo back into the crankcase and the EJs have LOTS more liquid oil coming out of the crankcase, is a remote reservoir off the drain. The plus side of doing this is it doesn't affect functionality of the PCV system like a drain back can, and you can easily make the reservoir capacity multitudes larger than what the unit itself holds.

BLSFRS does make a good point that you have no idea how much is coming out if it's draining back. Short term changes in blowby is almost always an indication of an underlying engine health issue.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
ballsdeep (08-03-2022), blsfrs (08-03-2022), NoHaveMSG (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 03:04 PM   #23
NoHaveMSG

Garage
It's an ingenious design, very compact.
blsfrs (08-03-2022), KillerBMotorsport (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 02:37 PM   #24
KillerBMotorsport

Here's a vid from smedia...

blsfrs (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 06:02 PM   #25
blsfrs

Skip to 13:45 for the AOS install.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:29 AM   #26
KillerBMotorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
Skip to 13:45 for the AOS install.
Thank you!

That link was supposed to start at that point but YouTube is not cooperating
blsfrs (08-04-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 11:32 AM   #27
KillerBMotorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrors7 View Post
Any testing on how often it has to be drained?

I know it’s somewhat dependent on the vehicle itself, engine health and how the motor is driven, but most catch can/AoS set ups are a bit larger to allowed for less frequent maintenance and draining
I forgot to mention that we did a quick test. Both AOS were drained before Wicked Big Meet. The round trip was about 1k miles highway miles. Upon returning we drained about a tablespoons from the rear AOS and a teaspoon from the front.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
H380 (08-10-2022), mycrors7 (08-10-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 03:32 PM   #28
KillerBMotorsport

We just replenished our inventory, no waiting, woot woot! :P

Last edited by KillerBMotorsport; 09-19-2022 at 09:20 AM.