follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-24-2021, 10:31 PM   #1
GeneralMomo

Drives: 2015 Black Scion-FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Whats a good backup camera for the FRS?

I recently got a 2015 FRS and want to add a backup camera. Whats a good brand or website to buy them from? Iv seen a few YT videos and they got them from different places ranging from like $120 to $30, some were even less but those seem a little too cheap. Whats a good amount to spend and where should I get it from?

Thanks!
GeneralMomo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralMomo For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 10:23 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMomo View Post
I recently got a 2015 FRS and want to add a backup camera. Whats a good brand or website to buy them from? Iv seen a few YT videos and they got them from different places ranging from like $120 to $30, some were even less but those seem a little too cheap. Whats a good amount to spend and where should I get it from?

Thanks!
Welcome to the group, there, GeneralMomo -

I don't know because I don't need no stinking backup camera. I just back up till I hit something -

(that's an inside joke - you will get it after you have been here a while - )
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:33 PM   #3
roosahorn

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series
I have a 2013 FRS and used a Camry B/U camera.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
roosahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:48 PM   #4
spiritofkaos1

Drives: 2013 fr-s
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I don't know because I don't need no stinking backup camera. I just back up till I hit something -
you've worked for UPS too i see? lol, i used to work in the warehouse and would occasionally back trucks up to the docks for the morning loaders. all trucks had reverse cameras, but (surprise, surprise) not all of them worked. best piece of advice i got was "backup until you can't backup anymore".

back to OPs question, i've also been looking at adding a reverse camera to my car. i came across a company selling an OEM style camera with plug and play wiring which is designed to work with factory stereos, all for $129. only thing is they're in australia, and i haven't heard back from them regarding shipping to the states. i've included their link because even though i can't get my hands on a kit (yet), they do a thorough walkthrough of the installation.

https://carboncarsystems.com.au/shop...actory-screen/

bummed, but not deterred, i continued my google search and came across a company in california offering a similar product for the same price. this kit also seems to work with the factory stereo.

https://www.emeraldintegrations.com/...ra-system.html
spiritofkaos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spiritofkaos1 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-06-2022), soundman98 (01-05-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 04:34 PM   #5
tarzan_nojane

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
A couple of years ago I found one on Amazon for less than $20 that specified voltage requirement between 6V-18V. This worked well with the stock radio (6V required) without needing any adapters, converters or transformers. It has served me well so far.
tarzan_nojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:05 PM   #6
Hurricane Nate

Drives: 2020 BRZ (Black)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMomo View Post

Thanks!
I put a backup camera in my old impreza, worked a treat. I wouldn't spend more than $40 on a camera.

The one I got was this https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-KASIO...s%2C256&sr=8-2

I tapped into the backup lights to trigger the camera. It was kind of pain to run the wire all the way through the car in a stealthy manner (I shaved the plugs so they would fit through the wiring loom and grommets) but after an afternoon of work I had the camera setup and running.
Hurricane Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:45 PM   #7
tobin

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had great luck with The Camera Source via Amazon. I purchased this one over 5 years ago and it hasn't given me any problems.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
tobin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back up, backup camera, brz, camera, frs