follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2022, 09:48 PM   #4187
Danny318
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Drives: 2019 BRZ
Location: MA
Posts: 49
Thanks: 39
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I ordered 8k springs for the rear and hope to get them in for the next event in a month. I’ll lower the front a bit too. May even corner balance. Will update late June. Hopefully this gets it dialed. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Danny318 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danny318 For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (05-26-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 09:07 PM   #4188
bmacfrs
Senior Member
 
bmacfrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Drives: 2013 FRS
Location: Central PA
Posts: 274
Thanks: 132
Thanked 64 Times in 41 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Higher rate rear springs

Hi, I have the Tarmac 2s and would like to stiffen the rear slightly. Currently has the 70-170 blue springs. 400# I think. What can I get and where?
__________________
WIFE: "How can there be anything left to buy?"
bmacfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:50 AM   #4189
Tatsu333
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2020 BRZ Sport Tech RS
Location: Canada
Posts: 203
Thanks: 203
Thanked 124 Times in 71 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The 80-170 spring kit from ST suspensions would be one step up from the stock 70-170's.
__________________
Tatsu333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 03:41 AM   #4190
EAGLE5
Dismember
 
EAGLE5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Location: Castro Valley
Posts: 5,483
Thanks: 2,128
Thanked 3,964 Times in 2,136 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Say I want to handle a rough road at fun speeds on semi-custom coilovers, Ohlins DFV with a choice of valving. Stock height or slightly higher.

Road has dips. Bumps. Speed bumps. Mid corner road catastrophes. Single wheel bumps. Double wheel bumps.

Which way do I go?

Springs can be stockish, stiffer, or much stiffer.
Damping can be stockish, stiffer, or much stiffer - adjustable in Ohlins range.
Antiroll bars can be stock, stiffer, or much stiffer - probably adjustable.

I'm thinking stockish spring rates, stiffer damping, and stiffer antiroll bars would mean the car would be on bump stops less, handle bumps better, and not sacrifice ride quality. Might even be better ride quality with better damper quality.

If shocks Ohlins DFV curves are designed for springs of x stiffness, would stiffer antiroll bars recommend getting stiffer damping curves as well, or would the range of adjustment easily handle the transients of stiffer antiroll bars?

Would I be better off with KW V3? Knowing I want stock height or even slightly higher, this seems not as good an option, but the double adjustability might be useful, especially if I want to change spring rates if the first one doesn't work out.

I'm thinking that something like the Ohlins RT off the shelf would be too stiff on spring rate and too stiff on damping, so I'd pay with a brutal ride and maybe even skipping over the bigger bumps, all to get grip on the track I won't ever visit.

Thoughts?
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:11 AM   #4191
Tatsu333
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2020 BRZ Sport Tech RS
Location: Canada
Posts: 203
Thanks: 203
Thanked 124 Times in 71 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLE5 View Post
Would I be better off with KW V3? Knowing I want stock height or even slightly higher, this seems not as good an option, but the double adjustability might be useful, especially if I want to change spring rates if the first one doesn't work out.
As noted in this post on another thread, I confirmed with KW that you can run their 15mm spring spacers on V3's without over-extending the dampers, which would get ride height to within 5mm of stock, for what it's worth.
__________________
Tatsu333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tatsu333 For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 11:23 AM   #4192
Ohio Enthusiast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Drives: 2018 BRZ
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 616
Thanks: 1,038
Thanked 506 Times in 276 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLE5 View Post
I'm thinking stockish spring rates, stiffer damping, and stiffer antiroll bars
I'm far from an expert, but it looks to me that the Twins have settled on the stiff-springs/soft-bars end of the spectrum (vs. other platforms that do embrace soft-springs/stiff-bars). I'm not saying that going with stiff bars is necessarily bad, though.

Final thought - it sounds like you might as well just try stiffer bars and leave the stock suspension as is (or at most replace with 2017+ suspension). Would be much cheaper and you won't be paying money for coilovers that you don't really use. At the very least you could start from stiff bars and see how that works for you before going with coilovers.
Ohio Enthusiast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 04:05 PM   #4193
marco_mc22
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Drives: Toyota 86
Location: Italy
Posts: 90
Thanks: 32
Thanked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLE5 View Post
Say I want to handle a rough road at fun speeds on semi-custom coilovers, Ohlins DFV with a choice of valving. Stock height or slightly higher.

Road has dips. Bumps. Speed bumps. Mid corner road catastrophes. Single wheel bumps. Double wheel bumps.

Which way do I go?

Springs can be stockish, stiffer, or much stiffer.
Damping can be stockish, stiffer, or much stiffer - adjustable in Ohlins range.
Antiroll bars can be stock, stiffer, or much stiffer - probably adjustable.

I'm thinking stockish spring rates, stiffer damping, and stiffer antiroll bars would mean the car would be on bump stops less, handle bumps better, and not sacrifice ride quality. Might even be better ride quality with better damper quality.

If shocks Ohlins DFV curves are designed for springs of x stiffness, would stiffer antiroll bars recommend getting stiffer damping curves as well, or would the range of adjustment easily handle the transients of stiffer antiroll bars?

Would I be better off with KW V3? Knowing I want stock height or even slightly higher, this seems not as good an option, but the double adjustability might be useful, especially if I want to change spring rates if the first one doesn't work out.

I'm thinking that something like the Ohlins RT off the shelf would be too stiff on spring rate and too stiff on damping, so I'd pay with a brutal ride and maybe even skipping over the bigger bumps, all to get grip on the track I won't ever visit.

Thoughts?
Kw v3 max height using stock springs (40-50nm) is roughly 20mm lower than stock, depending on model and year, restyling models are lower in the front, PP cars are even lower.

Going higher with spacers is possible, without problems, using longer springs is also possible but keep in mind that you're going outside of the recommended range, raising it 10mm is ok but no more otherwise shock could be damaged, they're designed to run lower.

Spring range (as per Kw) is 40-70nm on both axles, going softer or harder is possible but not recommended, dampers cannot be revalved but low speed compression adjustment helps and rebound damping range is wide enough for those springs. They will work.

Ohlins R&T can be used at stock height no problem, even higher. They can be fully customized form gas pressure to damping, monotube design is also stronger and better.
Downside is lack of travel here, soft rates aren't ideal for Ohlins, especially in the rear.

That said, the balance YOU WANT is the KEY and you can achieve that on both soft or stiff setups, having pros and cons on both. You have to try different setups and then decide. Personally after MANY tries my advice is to keep everything under 50nm for road usage, stiffer springs could work with premium and well dialed dampers but then tire choice will be limited + going over 2Hz is just too much for a road car, 1.5-1.8Hz is a good compromise IMO.

I prefer stock sways for road usage, stiffer front for track.
marco_mc22 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marco_mc22 For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (06-29-2022), Racecomp Engineering (07-01-2022), strat61caster (06-30-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 04:20 PM   #4194
EAGLE5
Dismember
 
EAGLE5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Location: Castro Valley
Posts: 5,483
Thanks: 2,128
Thanked 3,964 Times in 2,136 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I really wish suspension were more straight forward. At least on the track, things are more figured out for the platform.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:44 PM   #4195
Pat
Senior Member
 
Pat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: 2014 BRZ
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,561
Thanks: 1,303
Thanked 998 Times in 551 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I've found the best way to learn about it is through first-hand experience. Go drive as many setups as you can, in as many different environments as you can. It will become more clear to you which is the best for your priorities. Reading about suspension on the Internet is often an exercise in frustration, theory, and inexperienced opinions. Nothing beats real-world experience.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pat For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-30-2022), EAGLE5 (06-29-2022), marco_mc22 (06-29-2022), Racecomp Engineering (07-01-2022), Scargod (06-30-2022), strat61caster (06-30-2022), timurrrr (07-02-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 05:01 PM   #4196
marco_mc22
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Drives: Toyota 86
Location: Italy
Posts: 90
Thanks: 32
Thanked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I've found the best way to learn about it is through first-hand experience. Go drive as many setups as you can, in as many different environments as you can. It will become more clear to you which is the best for your priorities. Reading about suspension on the Internet is often an exercise in frustration, theory, and inexperienced opinions. Nothing beats real-world experience.
THIS. Best way to learn, only way to build a setup around YOU, without trusting of someone else.

Also, suggest you to invest in a good pyrometer, thatís really helpful.
marco_mc22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:19 PM   #4197
Tatsu333
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2020 BRZ Sport Tech RS
Location: Canada
Posts: 203
Thanks: 203
Thanked 124 Times in 71 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_mc22 View Post
Kw v3 max height using stock springs (40-50nm) is roughly 20mm lower than stock, depending on model and year, restyling models are lower in the front, PP cars are even lower.

Going higher with spacers is possible, without problems, using longer springs is also possible but keep in mind that you're going outside of the recommended range, raising it 10mm is ok but no more otherwise shock could be damaged, they're designed to run lower.
From speaking with KW support directly, you can run their 15mm spring spacers on V3's without issue, which puts max height at 5mm lower than stock. They specifically said no higher than that, though.
__________________
Tatsu333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tatsu333 For This Useful Post:
marco_mc22 (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 05:52 PM   #4198
strat61caster
-
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 10,101
Thanks: 13,356
Thanked 9,152 Times in 4,832 Posts
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Agree with Pat.

I've driven and setup; Bilstein B14/B16, custom Bilstein, custom Megan, KW V3
Driven briefly; Ohlins, Tein, and Godspeed.
Ridden; JRZ, MCS

For a 99% street car with 1% sporty/track with a focus on backroads comfort, of what I've driven; KW. I want to try Koni Yellows on otherwise stock suspension, but time and money have not permitted it. I think twin tubes at softer settings are great street shocks that soak up most road imperfections, the KW V3's turn up enough to be fun on track/autox when needed.

The Ohlins stuff I've driven/ridden with is a bit weird, too stiff for the road, too soft for hard driving, but they may not have been setup well for their applications and I may not have experienced best of breed. Enough people swear by them that I won't advise against going for Ohlins, but at $2k buy in plus another ~$1k for a revalve I'd be looking at MCS instead.

For setting up anything; spring rates drive compliance, full stop. A 400#/7k kit is too stiff for backroads on this chassis imho, my progressive spring Bilsteins were right on the limit I think, I wouldn't want to go any stiffer in the rear. Yes damping matters, but the spring is the driving force in how the car will absorb the road. 3k-6k linear rate springs would be my range, and softer the better imho, which is why I want to try stock springs on Koni Yellows. Dampers should be compliant, I gave up on trying to be a curve guru, find someone who knows their shit and trust them (presuming they've done what you want before, if you're an R&D case be prepared to have it not come out perfect) or just take what's off the shelf.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Lucky21 (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 06:22 PM   #4199
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 14,184
Thanks: 8,781
Thanked 13,806 Times in 6,640 Posts
Mentioned: 948 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Agree with Pat.

I've driven and setup; Bilstein B14/B16, custom Bilstein, custom Megan, KW V3
Driven briefly; Ohlins, Tein, and Godspeed.
Ridden; JRZ, MCS

For a 99% street car with 1% sporty/track with a focus on backroads comfort, of what I've driven; KW. I want to try Koni Yellows on otherwise stock suspension, but time and money have not permitted it. I think twin tubes at softer settings are great street shocks that soak up most road imperfections, the KW V3's turn up enough to be fun on track/autox when needed.

The Ohlins stuff I've driven/ridden with is a bit weird, too stiff for the road, too soft for hard driving, but they may not have been setup well for their applications and I may not have experienced best of breed. Enough people swear by them that I won't advise against going for Ohlins, but at $2k buy in plus another ~$1k for a revalve I'd be looking at MCS instead.

For setting up anything; spring rates drive compliance, full stop. A 400#/7k kit is too stiff for backroads on this chassis imho, my progressive spring Bilsteins were right on the limit I think, I wouldn't want to go any stiffer in the rear. Yes damping matters, but the spring is the driving force in how the car will absorb the road. 3k-6k linear rate springs would be my range, and softer the better imho, which is why I want to try stock springs on Koni Yellows. Dampers should be compliant, I gave up on trying to be a curve guru, find someone who knows their shit and trust them (presuming they've done what you want before, if you're an R&D case be prepared to have it not come out perfect) or just take what's off the shelf.
The damping matters more than you think.

The 8kg upcoming CSG damper rides overall even smoother than the 6kg square CSG Spec Flex A, which rides smoother than stock.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:20 PM   #4200
Scargod
Track Day Junkie
 
Scargod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 73
Thanks: 44
Thanked 60 Times in 30 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Agree with Pat....

For setting up anything; spring rates drive compliance, full stop. A 400#/7k kit is too stiff for backroads on this chassis imho, my progressive spring Bilsteins were right on the limit I think, I wouldn't want to go any stiffer in the rear. Yes damping matters, but the spring is the driving force in how the car will absorb the road. 3k-6k linear rate springs would be my range, and softer the better imho, ...
I'm running 7K springs with digressive valved shocks. I like it for an all-purpose compromise that's far better than stock! I crank up the shocks for the track. On the street it feels tight and turns like it's on rails.The wife thinks it's a bit harsh, on full soft, but she's used to her 440ix.
It's hard to imagine that "The 8kg upcoming CSG damper rides overall even smoother than the 6kg square CSG Spec Flex A, which rides smoother than stock." is realistic.
__________________
Try this Jalapeno son! It ain't hot...
Scargo on IWSTI (Journal of STI track car)
Scargod on NASIOC.
Scargod is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air Suspension Discussion Thread - Let's Get Nerdy Andrew@ORT Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 174 02-13-2016 03:17 PM
RallySport Directs Everything Suspension thread!! RallySport Direct Brakes, Suspension, Chassis 21 07-02-2014 05:31 PM
The OFFICIAL Ohlins Coilover Suspension thread - High End Competition Suspension ModBargains.com Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 63 05-22-2013 08:15 AM
2012 Team USA vs the 1992 Dream Team ERZperformance Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 1 09-14-2012 06:19 PM
Team build thread; PROJECT.STH trueno86power Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 0 03-02-2010 10:13 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.