follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-24-2019, 10:17 PM   #1
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,257 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
2014 FRS head unit background change/map update?

Read for a few hours. Seems we never figured out how to change the background on say a 2014 FRS head unit (with Nav) right-o? I've slowly gotten bored of the Scion logo. I want to put a "hello sir, how can I serve you today?" Jarvis type-o-thing there.

Also, can we update our map/software on our navi? I was in a part of town the other day that was built a year ago, but it didn't seem to exist on my navi. It felt like the twilight zone.

Is this a dealer thing? Any way we can get this for free? How could we do it?
Old 02-24-2019, 10:56 PM   #2
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
Read for a few hours. Seems we never figured out how to change the background on say a 2014 FRS head unit (with Nav) right-o? I've slowly gotten bored of the Scion logo. I want to put a "hello sir, how can I serve you today?" Jarvis type-o-thing there.

Also, can we update our map/software on our navi? I was in a part of town the other day that was built a year ago, but it didn't seem to exist on my navi. It felt like the twilight zone.

Is this a dealer thing? Any way we can get this for free? How could we do it?

Sadly I've been heavily down this road and was the one of the first people to do the OEM head unit bespoke module install on my car before switching to a JVC android auto head unit recently.

For some reason the system startup logo on these pioneer toyota head units is locked and the USB trick doesn't seem to work no matter what I did.

You can update the head unit firmware to the latest entune software with a usb stick but that didn't do much for me but make the entune app work for a short while. The map is more complex, we don't have the SD card like the newer stuff and the map data is relegated to the internal hard drive.

The dealer uses a special usb key and they authenticate the license through tech-stream to update the maps which sucks and they want a pretty penny for it at $100-$200 depending on the dealer.

Honestly this is the main reason I sold the entune module and head unit on ebay. AA/Carplay head units in the aftermarke are just plain better now. The stock navigation was lacking the ability to easily update maps and traffic info via HD radio download internally or through it's entune app was unrealiable. Waze and google maps are always up to date on your phone and ok google and siri recognition are surprisingly good with these newer head units. Also there's always a firmware update from the manufacturer to fix things whereas with toyota it's like pulling teeth to get it done. For our cars install is super easy. So I suggest looking into a better head unit, before you dump money into the stock on.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Packofcrows (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 12:21 AM   #3
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,257 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
ahhh bummer. Thanks for response. We'll I guess I'll just keep on rockin' on with what I have and maybe in future (with the next car) just get the stock cheap head unit. Then swap it for a more techy and modifiable one.

I'd really love it if Toyota just gave us a one time free map update.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:21 AM   #4
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post

I'd really love it if Toyota just gave us a one time free map update.

With a 2014 that would've been a few years ago if you fought with the dealer after purchase maybe.

It's easily doable with an SD card or USB system that allows a downloadable tool from them to write to it. Mazda does that and gives you 3 years of free map updates if you have the OEM navigation sd card installed and firmware updates are easily done by yourself as well. But with AA being so good in that car I never opted for the navigation SD card, simply because Waze and google maps in the car blow any oem nav out the water.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote