follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2018, 05:45 PM   #57
NyX_Nick

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Stock, 1991 Toyota MR2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sorry if it's been said already, as I've just quickly skimmed through the thread. But from my understanding, you've been in one accident recently before.

I might be wrong, as I'm not 100% sure, I'm going off of personal experience, but if your first accident went unreported, or was not deemed at fault. You may be able to call your insurance and inquire about "Accident Forgiveness". My insurance company had it and basically, if you get in to an accident and are deemed at fault, from my understanding, they will acknowledge it, but with accident forgiveness, your insurance will not go up.

Now, that being said, the accident is still on your record, and remains there for 3 years, so if you get in to another at fault accident within 3 years, you're pretty fucked.

I was deemed at fault in my accident, age 21. They hit me with Careless iirc. I went to traffic court, got it knocked down to 2 or 3 points and a big fine, and then called my insurance for accident forgiveness
NyX_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NyX_Nick For This Useful Post:
MaximS (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 06:31 PM   #58
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah you fucked up buddy. Best thing you can do is learn from it and be a wiser man because of it.

First mistake turning off the traction control. Don't do this unless your a professional or have years of driving experience.

So what yo should do hmm hard to say since I'm not familiar with how Canada handles this. What I would do is first fight the ticket and go to court, dont expect to win, you wont. However if you can find out what judge you have you can try write him a letter stating how sorry and foolish your actions where etc. Your begging for leancy here pleading the judge to reduce your fine/ punishment etc. If your really nice and the judge is in a good mood then maybe they will take pity on you and lighten the fine and go more easy on you. You my be able to do traffic school to avoid points and insurance increases, unlikely but worth a try. Next is to learn how to properly handle a car and drive like an adult. You want make sure the judge knows your in the miltary, and try and show your sorry.

Now you get to break that lease and give it back to avoid more loss, buy cheap crap car from the 80s that's slow and use that for the next 5 years like most 18 year olds.

Then question your parents for allowing you to own this sort of car at 18 which in itself is irresponsible.

Also you can consult this thread ( one of my favs)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123703
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:58 PM   #59
MaximS

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
Yeah you fucked up buddy. Best thing you can do is learn from it and be a wiser man because of it.

First mistake turning off the traction control. Don't do this unless your a professional or have years of driving experience.

So what yo should do hmm hard to say since I'm not familiar with how Canada handles this. What I would do is first fight the ticket and go to court, dont expect to win, you wont. However if you can find out what judge you have you can try write him a letter stating how sorry and foolish your actions where etc. Your begging for leancy here pleading the judge to reduce your fine/ punishment etc. If your really nice and the judge is in a good mood then maybe they will take pity on you and lighten the fine and go more easy on you. You my be able to do traffic school to avoid points and insurance increases, unlikely but worth a try. Next is to learn how to properly handle a car and drive like an adult. You want make sure the judge knows your in the miltary, and try and show your sorry.

Now you get to break that lease and give it back to avoid more loss, buy cheap crap car from the 80s that's slow and use that for the next 5 years like most 18 year olds.

Then question your parents for allowing you to own this sort of car at 18 which in itself is irresponsible.

Also you can consult this thread ( one of my favs)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123703
Well thanks for the tips but my parents didn't even know I owned the car until 2 months into my ownership. I live in a different province and we are not particularly close.
MaximS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:55 PM   #60
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Because 80% of the people on this forum will tell you that you are a puzzy that doesn't know how to drive and you should just buy a Corolla if you leave them turned on.
I mean, yeah......
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:16 PM   #61
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
I mean, the limits of the car can be approached without turning off transaction control. So 79% of those people really need to do some learning about these cars. The minute traction control invades you're most definitely over the limits of the car.

huh? traction control can be quite aggressive and will often kick in way before any "limit" of the car..it certainly won't allow any power slides or drifts around corners with it on. Regardless, TC will never save anyone from very poorly judged hooning, it shouldn't be part of OP's scolding..
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:25 PM   #62
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
huh? traction control can be quite aggressive and will often kick in way before any "limit" of the car..it certainly won't allow any power slides or drifts around corners with it on.
If you're sliding you're over the limits, very simple.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
wparsons (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #63
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoNat View Post
no no no, the kid doesn't need to be told he can't drive anything ever again... We've all had split seconds of misjudgment and shoudln't be castrated for it I mean.. No one was hurt and he learned his lesson.... Thats all that counts right? right?

And as for you @MaximS stop this. Admitting you are dumb doesn't make you not dumb.

Just fix the problem and stop caring about what ppl think fuck em.

This is the third (?) incident in 4 months, not an isolated single one...
Old 06-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #64
JustSomeGuy
A Nobody

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoNat View Post
WHoever finds the sister thread to this but in the Challenger forums gets a high-five... I'd go look myself but that place sounds scary.
i went and looked but had no luck.. can i have a high five for trying at least? lol i dont recommend anyone going there
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #65
TorontoNat

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt [Gray]
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
So what, Ayrton Senna was known for crashing too.

jks jks in all seriousness tho @MaximS Performance driving lessons are in order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
i went and looked but had no luck.. can i have a high five for trying at least? lol i dont recommend anyone going there
Do or do not, there is no try.

..just playin you get a thumbs up for venturing into the abyss
JustSomeGuy (06-15-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 06:20 PM   #66
MaximS

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Well tbh I've been only driving for 2 years, and my record was clean until that first speeding ticket (and I'm from Toronto 130km/h in a 100 zone isn't most peoples idea of dangerous driving). After that I was driving from New York and got caught in freezing rain, on stock tires, that was April 15, and I don't blame myself for that (I mean yeah I should have checked the weather that day but ice storm April 15 really?). I literally slowly slid down a hill and bumped a pick up at like 5-10km/h, and there was no damage on his end.

But yeah this was a fuck up no doubt.
MaximS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:35 PM   #67
highway7

Drives: FRS 2013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sell car and download uber app?
highway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to highway7 For This Useful Post:
why? (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #68
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
huh? traction control can be quite aggressive and will often kick in way before any "limit" of the car..it certainly won't allow any power slides or drifts around corners with it on. Regardless, TC will never save anyone from very poorly judged hooning, it shouldn't be part of OP's scolding..
No one should ever turn the tc off on the streets. 90% of these accident threads start with someone turning off the tc for zero reason. I slide around easily with tc fully on. You have zero clue what could be on the road around that corner. Could be oil like one member found on a road he always drove on and because he turned the tc off he had zero chance and rolled his car. Could be sand or any other substance. Could be a young kid who has no idea how to drive yet turns it off because everyone says they should because it is safe.'

The only thing anyone does when they turn the tc off is make themselves a danger to themselves and everyone around them. And no, I don't need it. I've dailyed a 85 Caddy sedan de ville and I use to love drifting an old Ford v8 conversion fan for the hell of it. I always keep it on because there is no idea what will be around that next turn, and better safe than dead.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:35 AM   #69
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
No one should ever turn the tc off on the streets. 90% of these accident threads start with someone turning off the tc for zero reason. I slide around easily with tc fully on. You have zero clue what could be on the road around that corner. Could be oil like one member found on a road he always drove on and because he turned the tc off he had zero chance and rolled his car. Could be sand or any other substance. Could be a young kid who has no idea how to drive yet turns it off because everyone says they should because it is safe.'

The only thing anyone does when they turn the tc off is make themselves a danger to themselves and everyone around them. And no, I don't need it. I've dailyed a 85 Caddy sedan de ville and I use to love drifting an old Ford v8 conversion fan for the hell of it. I always keep it on because there is no idea what will be around that next turn, and better safe than dead.

..still don't think traction control is the issue here...the issue is decision making on public roads..if someone is trying to hoon like in op's case, TC being on or off ain't going to save him..he took a corner too fast, TC ain't going to correct his speed.. TC's best use case is to save drivers who aren't trying to lose traction. As for what is "safe", I think people can be capable of making calculated risks. I pass a roundabout during my commute and when I don't see any pedestrians or other cars, I sometimes hoon around it...send me to hell I agree, there are clearly limits when doing such things but don't act like everyone is some careless dumbass..
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:56 AM   #70
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I spun my car at NJMP Lightning turn 1 with the 5 second press. Traction control is not perfect. I've since just do the dpedal dance.

This is my first car with "nannies" besides ABS. The first time I spun it was weird feeling trying to give throttle but it was just cutting power. Felt like the twilight zone. Maybe more advanced systems are better at it but this one seems very basic and overprotective.

On regular street driving I tend to leave it on as I'm not trying to set personal bests getting to work in NY traffic. In sedate driving it doesn't bother me because it doesn't activate I guess

I don't know what my point here is. Maybe it is just don't drive 10/10 on the street and it is possible to spin and/or crash no matter what the state of the nannies.