follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2017, 12:31 PM   #1
timmydatooth

Drives: Scion Frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best Header option to pair with OFT?

So I recently pulled the trigger on buying an OFT. Since I'm spending all this money on it I feel like I might as well take advantage of it and use it to its full potential by doing the stage 2 tune. I was just wondering what are the best headers to get for our cars? I prefer UEL over EL just because I want the "rumble" but I will consider EL if they are better. I was leaning towards the OFH3 headers just because it is made for the OFT and they also have a custom tune made for them. But I also hear a lot of good things about tomei and the gruppe-s headers. Honestly I just want something that will give me the most gains paired with the OFT, best overall quality, and will not give me a CEL once installed. side question, does doing the stage 2 tune get rid of the CEL that installing some new headers gives you?

Also I should state I have a 2013 Scion FRS Automatic Trans. with Invidia Q300 catback, Invidia Catless front pipe, afe dry drop in filter, and mishimoto silicone tube.

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by timmydatooth; 04-04-2017 at 02:29 PM.
timmydatooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
Johnders2586

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I have the OFH (version 2) and OFT and felt it was really good quality and fit perfect no issues, it came with gaskets and hardware which is nice.. It definitely gives you the rumble. Depending on the rest of your exhaust system, some will be more noticeable (loud) than others obviously. The stage 2 tune does eliminate the CEL. I had a Tomei header on my STi and that was also very good quality. Given the brands you listed I think its fair to say they will all give you the same general quality in the price range. I personally went OFH because I felt it would pair with the OFH tune the best seeing as they are the same manufacturer. You can read up on a million other post related to the topic but at the end of the day go with what you feel comfortable with, they all do the job.
Johnders2586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:49 PM   #3
timmydatooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnders2586 View Post
I have the OFH (version 2) and OFT and felt it was really good quality and fit perfect no issues, it came with gaskets and hardware which is nice.. It definitely gives you the rumble. Depending on the rest of your exhaust system, some will be more noticeable (loud) than others obviously. The stage 2 tune does eliminate the CEL. I had a Tomei header on my STi and that was also very good quality. Given the brands you listed I think its fair to say they will all give you the same general quality in the price range. I personally went OFH because I felt it would pair with the OFH tune the best seeing as they are the same manufacturer. You can read up on a million other post related to the topic but at the end of the day go with what you feel comfortable with, they all do the job.
I have the Q300 so it shouldn't be too loud once I get the headers in right?
also since you have the OFH, do you use the custom stage 2 tune made specifically for the OFH or do you just use the OTS stage 2 tune that came with the OFT?
Old 04-04-2017, 02:49 PM   #4
smg1138

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My JDL UEL header has been amazing. Excellent build quality and zero problems.
smg1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smg1138 For This Useful Post:
Teseo (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 02:53 PM   #5
timmydatooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg1138 View Post
My JDL UEL header has been amazing. Excellent build quality and zero problems.
did you do a tune? no CEL after install?
Old 04-04-2017, 02:53 PM   #6
Johnders2586

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Garage
With the Q 300 the sound will be relatively quiet from what I have read. That is one of the quietest on the market aside from stock. I used the "canned" tune that came on the OFT. To me its not worth the $ for a pro tune on a NA car for just exhaust modifications..
Johnders2586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:04 PM   #7
timmydatooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnders2586 View Post
With the Q 300 the sound will be relatively quiet from what I have read. That is one of the quietest on the market aside from stock. I used the "canned" tune that came on the OFT. To me its not worth the $ for a pro tune on a NA car for just exhaust modifications..
what is the "canned" tune? I think you misunderstood me. Theres a stage 2 tune that came with the OFT and then theres a special stage 2 tune made for the OFH that you can down load from there website

http://www.openflashtablet.com/downloads/
Old 04-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #8
pinetree

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have Stage 2 tune with JDL catted UEL headers, everything works great, no issues.

Just make sure you get the right tune regarding fuel, but for easiest and no hassles might as well go with their headers, they tuned it to work perfect together.
pinetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:35 PM   #9
smg1138

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmydatooth View Post
did you do a tune? no CEL after install?
Yes, I use the OFT Stage 2 tunes. No CEL's using those.
smg1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #10
frs_caskey

Drives: 2013 FRS DGM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
I have Stage 2 tune with JDL catted UEL headers, everything works great, no issues.

Just make sure you get the right tune regarding fuel, but for easiest and no hassles might as well go with their headers, they tuned it to work perfect together.
what catback do you have with the jdl catted header? been looking at getting this and using it with my mxp comp rs catback. did you get a good rumble with it even though its catted. also ive read that you dont want to do stage 2 with catted header. All good for you though? is your stage 2 custom?
frs_caskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #11
pinetree

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by frs_caskey View Post
what catback do you have with the jdl catted header? been looking at getting this and using it with my mxp comp rs catback. did you get a good rumble with it even though its catted. also ive read that you dont want to do stage 2 with catted header. All good for you though? is your stage 2 custom?
Speedfactory V1 exhaust, good rumble, everyone seems to like the sound. Does get fairly loud on cold startup, and can be loud during high RPM's, but that comes with the territory whenever you swap headers. Otherwise sound is very reasonable for what it is.

They say that because otherwise they would be on the hook if anyone blows up their engine while using their tunes. Gives them protection, kinda smart for any company when you think about it.

Anyhow, been running the stock stage 2 tune with these parts (not custom), and everything works great. No engine issues that I'm aware of. if there is anything about running "lean/rich" on it I don't know, for that you'd need a custom tune. Have 70k miles on my car now, when I replaced my spark plugs they looked good.

Hope this helps
pinetree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinetree For This Useful Post:
frs_caskey (04-05-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 07:17 PM   #12
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Gruppe S header works great with the stg 2 tune or even the dedicated OFH tune.
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tor For This Useful Post:
Keenercarguy (06-28-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 07:35 PM   #13
[YOYO]
Amazing Member

Drives: 2014 Whiteout FR-S
Tomei UEL here. Runs awesome with the OFT tunes and sounds the part too
D_Thissen (04-05-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 09:55 PM   #14
timmydatooth

Would you guys say getting Tomei or jdl would be better than getting the OFH? Anyone know how the OFH are quality and build wise?