follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-28-2019, 09:32 AM   #939
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
If there is going to be a problem is there a way to speed it up? Revving higher? Lugging a bit? What will screw things up quickest? Also, it's been 1000 miles. Does it make sense to drain the oil through a screen to see if there's any sealant or metal? Car is running just fine so far.
When I got my car back the oil was way overfilled, so I drained and strained it looking for debris. It was clean. About a week later I changed the oil filter and took old one apart looking for signs of sealant, metal or whatever. It was clean. That gave me somewhat better peace of mind than before when I thought for sure it was going to blow at any minute. I've gone almost 5,000 miles since then so I'm starting to think I may be in the clear. I'm just now starting to enjoy driving again.
As far as speeding up "the inevitable", a few people have done autocrosses after the recall. You do a couple of those and the car doesn't blow up then you'll probably be alright.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 10:17 AM   #940
Ichima

Drives: 13' Lightning Red Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just moving this from the registry thread.

Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Well, I guess it's time to post what I HOPE is a final update on my car and the four month saga...

VERY short recap -

Since about 60K miles, when I had the plugs replaced (recommended maintenance) and the timing chain cover resealed (warranty), slight reduction in gas mileage and power.

Four months ago, had recall done.

500 miles later, checked oil... none visible. Overfilled accidentally, drained a quart, and noticed serious shrapnel in the oil.
Another 100 miles, car starts hesitating, stumbling, backfiring, and smoking like crazy upon startup, a little over a month after the recall procedure

Back to dealership, and they agreed to do a full engine replacement under warranty; master tech and I examined obviously worn and shot bearings and journals.

Master tech informs me that someone had been inside my engine before, as he noticed sealant and shrapnel in the oil pan when he performed the recall, but neglected to mention it at the time hoping that it would be OK. I informed him the only other time any one had been "in the engine" was when it was at this same dealership for the timing cover reseal. He confirmed, but said he didn't do that reseal; it was one of the other guys in his crew. That's where the trouble started, and why he went out of his way to make sure I got a new engine. Much appreciated, but would have rather everyone been completely up front about that from the onset.
As a thank you, and just preventatively, I also had them install a new clutch and TOB at my expense along with the new engine; they were very fair about the parts cost and didn't charge any labor.

Another month goes by, get call, car is ready. Go pick it up. Check engine light comes on the next day, and car sounds like a loud sewing machine. Immediately back to shop.
Code shows mixture problems and misfire (cylinder 3, I think). I asked whether they had changed the injector seals. "No, they didn't come with the recall or engine replacement parts list." They proceded to swap out injectors as part of their troubleshooting procedures, without replacing seals. I insisted that they replace the seals after they figure out what's wrong and prior to returning the car to me. They agree.
More than another month goes by. Tech could NOT figure out why the car was running poorly. I finally get a call saying car is ready last week, and I've been driving it. It's running GREAT.

The answer? The tech was at his wit's end, so he called Subaru and spoke with one of their engineers, describing the problem. The Subaru guy said to him, "You're really fussy, aren't you, and very careful?" The tech answered in the affirmative. Engineer told him that he has the valves shimmed to tight, and that these engines like to be adjusted to the middle of the allowed range rather than to the tightest tolerance.

He reshimmed the valves for the fourth time, taking this advice into account, and the car runs awesome.

Soooo.. that's the story. Not thrilled with the four months without my car, but can't fault the service manager or master tech for much.. they took good care of me.

That's the tale.

This now makes me curious. I have the sewing machine ticking noise from anywhere around 2.5k rpm and up and i’ve been told it’s my hpfp working and it’s normal. Except if it’s normal why did i start noticing it after the recall work was done and not before.
Ichima is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ichima For This Useful Post:
bcj (05-28-2019), caus (07-13-2019), humfrz (05-28-2019), nos145 (06-02-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 11:54 AM   #941
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichima View Post

This now makes me curious. I have the sewing machine ticking noise from anywhere around 2.5k rpm and up and i’ve been told it’s my hpfp working and it’s normal. Except if it’s normal why did i start noticing it after the recall work was done and not before.
Well, maybe, just maybe, when they did the recall work they adjusted (bucketed) the valve clearance so that their is more clearance and that is what you are hearing. Now, that would be better than too tight of a clearance, which could cause the valves to burn.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #942
Ichima

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, maybe, just maybe, when they did the recall work they adjusted (bucketed) the valve clearance so that their is more clearance and that is what you are hearing. Now, that would be better than too tight of a clearance, which could cause the valves to burn.

humfrz
So, in this case it would be better to hear that ticking noise when driving at higher speeds because there is less tension?
Old 05-28-2019, 12:30 PM   #943
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@Ichima check TSB 02-151-14R https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...84247-0699.pdf

This bulletin announces the availability of revised valve train components developed to reduce a tapping sound (sometimes described as “a sewing machine type” sound) which may be heard coming from the left-hand (B2) side of the engine when the engine is warm. This bulletin does not address any cold engine or start-up sounds. The changes consist of: • Design change to the valve rockers • Camshaft profile change • 1.65mm longer intake and 2.47mm longer exhaust valve stem lengths
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #944
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichima View Post
So, in this case it would be better to hear that ticking noise when driving at higher speeds because there is less tension?
Well, all I know is that back in the day of OHV engines, it was better to hear the valves tapping (slightly) than not to hear them at all (they may be too tight).

humfrz
Old 05-28-2019, 01:04 PM   #945
Ichima

okay, i'll keep listening to see if i hear anything else in regards to this. But overall, the car has been driving fine and 100miles later no more check engine light.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ichima For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 07:37 PM   #946
Zadkiel

Drives: CBS BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just dropped mine off at Faulkner Subaru in Harrisburg, here's hoping no surprises on 500 miles.

Also, I hate lane departure assist. Nothing more unnerving than the Ascent loaner turning the wheel FOR YOU.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:05 PM   #947
Ichima

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
@Ichima check TSB 02-151-14R https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...84247-0699.pdf

This bulletin announces the availability of revised valve train components developed to reduce a tapping sound (sometimes described as “a sewing machine type” sound) which may be heard coming from the left-hand (B2) side of the engine when the engine is warm. This bulletin does not address any cold engine or start-up sounds. The changes consist of: • Design change to the valve rockers • Camshaft profile change • 1.65mm longer intake and 2.47mm longer exhaust valve stem lengths
They actually performed this on my car. Still has the sewing machine noise
Old 05-28-2019, 10:13 PM   #948
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
I tend to think a good sewing machine sounds kinda smooth. It's how I described a honda cub passport I rebuilt.

Reminder that these 86 cars idle sound is like a tractor even from the factory.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:17 PM   #949
fosterfoster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Reported my engine failure after the recall to Toronto Star's Consumer Protection Reporter to try and bring more light on this situation. She said she is interested story but is hoping to hear from other affected Canadians. I've put her email address below if other Canadians wish to reach out.

eroseman@thestar.ca
fosterfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:12 PM   #950
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So @humfrz have you come to a decision yet to have the valve spring recall done on your FR-S or are you still on the fence?

Given the odds of a spring fracturing versus my local Toyota dealer f*king up my perfectly running engine I'm not having it done.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RickyBobby For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 07:47 PM   #951
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
So @humfrz have you come to a decision yet to have the valve spring recall done on your FR-S or are you still on the fence?

Given the odds of a spring fracturing versus my local Toyota dealer f*king up my perfectly running engine I'm not having it done.
Welp, my present thinking is that, since I have about 25,000 miles on my car, I figure the TOB will give out at about the same time as its due for new spark plugs. So, I may take the car in for the recall work at about 60,000 miles and while they are at it, change the plugs and TOB for the cost of parts.

Of course, by that time I'll be 80 some years old and I don't know if they will allow me to keep my FR-S with me, down at the Old Soldiers Home in Orting -

humfrz
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
caus (07-13-2019), Dadhawk (06-05-2019), RickyBobby (06-06-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 08:58 PM   #952
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Mine is still going strong, damnit!
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue