follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List
timurrrr

Old 08-01-2022, 10:18 AM   #225
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGreener View Post
I actually registered to comment here because I now have a vested interest in this. I contacted "The Car Care Nut" on youtube regarding this as well because he is a Toyota Master Tech that has great insight/videos about all toyotas in general. Hopefully you can contact the others too!

Right now based on all the info gathered, this is a typical manufacturing/QC issue with first year vehicles. I know people who work in manufacturing who say the same thing: no matter how reputable or good the company is, first years are what you want to stay away from. If you want the most "reliable" version of the car, wait until the mid-cycle facelift/refresh.
This is not “typical” for any year or make. It is completely abnormal and unacceptable.
Although I do agree with avoiding the very first of a new vehicle there is no magic period where they are every perfect just because made then.
Mid cycle refresh vehicles can have the very same risk levels as a new MY just because they can make larger changes.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:33 AM   #226
RyanGreener

Drives: 2023 BRZ Allocation
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This is not “typical” for any year or make. It is completely abnormal and unacceptable.
Although I do agree with avoiding the very first of a new vehicle there is no magic period where they are every perfect just because made then.
Mid cycle refresh vehicles can have the very same risk levels as a new MY just because they can make larger changes.

We'll agree to disagree because if you ever pay attention to the amount of TSBs/recalls for earlier builds you'll notice a trend. Also I'd take the word of people I know in manufacturing to reaffirm what I already notice looking at the outside. If they opt to keep things the same during the mid-cycle refresh, things usually stay resolved. Best recent example: RAV4 and roof leaks, high voltage cable corrosion, and 8 speed transmission issues. All designs changed/modified verified by part #'s and visuals.

Anyways, definitely not saying this is acceptable but it's what I expect. Hoping we can get this all resolved.
RyanGreener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:51 AM   #227
Petah78

Drives: 2022 BRZ sport-tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Dealers are not going to start redesigning the car. If the engineers determine a baffle plate is needed a TSB will be issued. I wouldn’t hold your breath.
I mean asking the dealer to install a supplied after market baffle plate as the thread suggested. No guarantees they are willing but it's worth a shot for those seriously concerned and want to drop their pan.
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 10 Acura CSX-S, 17 BRZ
Current: 22 BRZ, 00 S2K - #0220
Petah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:05 AM   #228
LRNAD90

Drives: X5 35d, D90, CX-5 Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petah78 View Post
I mean asking the dealer to install a supplied after market baffle plate as the thread suggested. No guarantees they are willing but it's worth a shot for those seriously concerned and want to drop their pan.
I doubt they would, but even if they did you just provided them with grounds to dismiss any warranty claim by modifying the engine and its oiling system..

To me the only reasonable solution is a recall with an inspection process that determines if the oil pan needs to be dropped and resealed, or that it meets the factory spec..
LRNAD90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LRNAD90 For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 11:09 AM   #229
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,228 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
A dealer is not going to do that, point blank.

Now, you could probably find an indy shop to do it. Just know any powertrain claim is going to be immediately denied once they see you've done something like that.

As I said earlier in this thread, so far we are talking about less than 10 known incidents in thousands of cars sold.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:10 AM   #230
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Okay, that was an interesting read of all 17 pages. Now, is it just me, or does it seem to be a correlation between the failures and track days. Unless I completely missed it and something like this happened as a strictly commuter/daily vehicle.

Not suggesting anything against owners, because shitty QC ,is shitty QC, at the end of the day.

This will probably end up in a recall and Toyota/Subaru rethinking the wording in their advertisements.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:15 AM   #231
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
A dealer is not going to do that, point blank.

Now, you could probably find an indy shop to do it. Just know any powertrain claim is going to be immediately denied once they see you've done something like that.

As I said earlier in this thread, so far we are talking about less than 10 known incidents in thousands of cars sold.

I only have one small rebuttal, while I agree with this being a very small number, these are reported cases. The number could be much higher for those owners who either have no interest on the forums, or social media. Which would be hard to believe, but it is possible. On the other hand, I wouldn't say it would be a significant amount of unreported incidents. I'm sort of curious if the trigger would be track use, or production date, but the reported cases are very few to draw all the variables out.
timurrrr (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 11:32 AM   #232
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22 BRZ View Post
Is there no way to run a scope down from the top of the oil system to look at that filter from the top side? Meaning not having to drop the pan?
Unfortunately, no. There are two passages from the top that are baffled within the block, no way to get in there from the dipstick spot or the oil fill which goes straight into the oil galley's for the pump. Granted I haven't had an FA24 apart it is a very similar block to the FA20 which I have had apart. Dropping the pan is really the only way to know. The pickup sits very close to the bottom of the pan, less than a 1/4 inch.
22 BRZ (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 12:37 PM   #233
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,292 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Now, is it just me, or does it seem to be a correlation between the failures and track days. Unless I completely missed it and something like this happened as a strictly commuter/daily vehicle.
I remember at least one rod knock case reported on FB where the owner claimed that he had never driven the car hard. It was after ~5k miles on factory oil, but he didn't specifically check the oil pickup tube, as his engine died before this topic became widespread.
DocWalt (08-01-2022), spcmafia (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 12:44 PM   #234
dreamwonder

Drives: GR86 2022
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Will add a data point. Mine was built on Oct/21, have 12k miles on it so far with about 3 to 4k of that in DE. No issues so far.
dreamwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 12:49 PM   #235
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
I remember at least one rod knock case reported on FB where the owner claimed that he had never driven the car hard. It was after ~5k miles on factory oil, but he didn't specifically check the oil pickup tube, as his engine died before this topic became widespread.

That is another variable. Kind of messed up, because it would suck for owners, but I wish there would be a bigger sample of reported failures, along with details like track, production date, maintenance details.

I have my reservations on the whole Toyota/Subaru possibly denying repairs because of track use or outright social media stalking. It is, after all, a track use promoted vehicle. At the same time, the Army and my recruiter promoted all these lies to me about being Army strong and all this money, etc,etc, but I ended up with a fckd up back and still with student loan debt. So there's that.
Opie (08-02-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 01:27 PM   #236
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Will lots of sealant in the pickup get hot enough to produce a different odour from the exhaust?
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:29 PM   #237
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The tomei baffle is interesting, it uses the existing oil pan holes, so that does mean gasket on both sides of the baffle plate? seems suboptimal in that scenario.
Attached Images

FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:30 PM   #238
removedonut

Drives: 2022 Toyota GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
- Dealer performing the work means you are not going to void your warranty.
Warranty cannot be denied simply because somebody else worked on the car. There is an entire federal law about this. If you’re having somebody work on the car at your own expense, it should be someone competent. Not the dealer monkeys.
removedonut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to removedonut For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (08-01-2022)

Tags
oh no not again