follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #15
Black Tire

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Save this thread?

Could we try to save what I think is a very useful thread before everyone just pushes it aside and says, "do more research" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Supercharger.
How about details as to why you chose a supercharger. Also, do you have an opinion as to the type you think is best and why, roots, centrifugal, or screw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
Depends on what you plan to do with your car; there is no "best".
Could you give some details about why you think someone would choose one or the other? That way we might be able to learn something in a short period of time that would prompt us to do some more targeted research. You can see that Cojonudo has been trying:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojonudo View Post
Thanks guys. I've been looking and reading. Also doing some research on the topic, but just wanted your opinion on it especially if you own a turbo or supercharged BRZ.

I think this is the kind of evaluation/comment that could be helpful in answering this useful thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2RO View Post
Which ever route you take, will depend entirely on how much power you want to make and how you want to make that power. If you want the car to feel linear like stock go supercharger, if you want room to expand and want that feeling of boost kicking in and kicking your butt then get a turbo. I personally love my jdl turbo kit on the car, it adds that missing drama that the car needed.
I have read a lot about this topic as well, but very few people who detail in a post why they chose, or advocate, one solution over the other. When they do, it is usually buried deep in a discussion that is really about some other specific topic.

Here is another example of a USEFUL comment of this type (but on the topic of tires):

If you see only a few snows each year, then all season tires are all you need. If, however, you see a lot of snow and ice all winter long, then winter tires would be your best option.

Black Tire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Tire For This Useful Post:
Cojonudo (12-20-2015), R2RO (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #16
Northwest86

Drives: Velocity Orange 86 GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do whichever one is locally supported that you like. Though a well designed turbo system will always be better in every way but you don't have any options for them in the US really. Move to Australia. We'll sort you out.

Basically do research into the possible issues with kits, figure out your goals, ride in some to see if you like how they drive and then pick which one you like. The Internet has a million opinions of both people and companies trying to validate their purchase or tell you how good their product is.
Northwest86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #17
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,518 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tire View Post
Could you give some details about why you think someone would choose one or the other? That way we might be able to learn something in a short period of time that would prompt us to do some more targeted research.
I was asking for a response from the OP so I could give more "targeted" advice.

But if you would like a more general run-down:

Superchargers and turbochargers have similar purpose, but different characteristics. Superchargers are engine-driven so they are much more responsive. Turbochargers are exhaust driven so they generate more net horsepower.

Because superchargers are more responsive to throttle inputs, they are often favored in forms of racing where that's an asset. AutoX is one such sport. Torque delivery nearly as instant as a normally aspirated engine is beneficial when you are constantly going from corner exit to corner entry. Some also like the response for predictable steady-state cornering on track.

Superchargers come in two major flavors: Centrifugal and Positive Displacement. Centrifugal blowers look like turbochargers, and like them, they make more torque at higher RPMs. Positive displacement blowers deliver a speicifc volume of air across most of the RPM range and tend to make more torque at lower RPMs at a small expense at the top end. Driving style and type of racing will dictate which power band is more beneficial to have.

Turbochargers, being exhaust driven, make more peak power than superchargers because they are driven by the waste energy in the exhaust rather than taking power directly from the engine. The trade off is that the impeller inside the turbocharger will take time getting up to speed. This introduces some lag time between throttle input and the onset of torque. The nature of this means that a turbocharger excels when the throttle is held open for long stretches, but falters when the throttle is being opened and closed frequently. This means turbochargers are favored in drag racing and track days.

There are of course exceptions to everything above; these are just broad brush strokes to give a foundation of understanding. For example, AutoX drivers may prefer a turbo to a supercharger BECAUSE of the lag, as the lower torque when they put their foot down can assist in maintaining grip at corner exit.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Draco-REX For This Useful Post:
Black Tire (12-20-2015), Cojonudo (12-20-2015), lamawithonel (12-20-2015), Mr.Impreza (02-17-2016), R2RO (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 09:40 PM   #18
Cojonudo
I'm New

Drives: 2016 Limited Subaru BRZ White Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I was looking at the Crawford Performance plus 100 turbo kit or the Vortech Supercharger kit. Anything I should know about these?
Old 12-20-2015, 09:54 PM   #19
Black Tire

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest86 View Post
Though a well designed turbo system will always be better in every way but you don't have any options for them in the US really.
What level of design and engineering are you talking about? Locally, in the town I live in, we have Full Blown Motorsports and Modern Automotive Performance. Both have a big presence on the site and many proponents.

Black Tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:13 PM   #20
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,518 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Though a well designed turbo system will always be better in every way but you don't have any options for them in the US really.
I, personally, would disagree with this. Throttle response is HUGELY important to me, and a turbo system short of something out of a WRC car will always feel lacking compared to a PD blower. And I don't think the average car owner would be willing to commit to the upkeep a similar system would require.

But that's not a concern for a lot of drivers. In their case, I can see them agreeing with you.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:50 PM   #21
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I was looking at the Crawford Performance plus 100 turbo kit or the Vortech Supercharger kit. Anything I should know about these?
Vortech is good, but I've heard plenty of bad things about Crawford. But look into both of those threads individually. Though you you still need to explain what your motives/ purpose are to help us (and yourself) narrow it down.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:41 PM   #22
Cojonudo
I'm New

Garage
Quote:
Vortech is good, but I've heard plenty of bad things about Crawford. But look into both of those threads individually. Though you you still need to explain what your motives/ purpose are to help us (and yourself) narrow it down.
I'm not looking to race with it at all I would just like a bit more horsepower so if I step on the gas I can be like "Wow that was fun!" You know that rush and automatic smile you get when you just feel the car and the power it has. But I am definitely not looking to drag race or anything haha. I hope this helped answer your question if not feel free to ask me anything else!
Old 12-20-2015, 11:56 PM   #23
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm not looking to race with it at all I would just like a bit more horsepower so if I step on the gas I can be like "Wow that was fun!" You know that rush and automatic smile you get when you just feel the car and the power it has. But I am definitely not looking to drag race or anything haha. I hope this helped answer your question if not feel free to ask me anything else!
Ok that helps. Do you want it linear like NA, or do you want a kick like a turbo?

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:10 AM   #24
Cojonudo
I'm New

Garage
Quote:
Ok that helps. Do you want it linear like NA, or do you want a kick like a turbo?
I would honestly like a kick like a turbo. I love that rush and feel! Thanks for actually taking the time and helping me out, I appreciate it!
Old 12-21-2015, 12:12 AM   #25
Northwest86

Drives: Velocity Orange 86 GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tire View Post
What level of design and engineering are you talking about? Locally, in the town I live in, we have Full Blown Motorsports and Modern Automotive Performance. Both have a big presence on the site and many proponents.

Let us say I know of one that makes the above resemble a Chinese Product. And another which puts their track reliability and throttle response to shame. The above aren't bad for sure. But these two are kits that have been under heavy RnD by extremely knowledgable people for the entire life of the 86's and only have been released when they knew that not a single problem was present with anything in the kit. Mind you these are in the 6-8k usd for the turbo kit alone. They don't come with pumps and all that kind of stuff. Mind you they are Australian made and that jacks the price up a little since our wages are significantly higher here.

A PD Supercharger does have instantaneous response and a traditional Turbo FMIC setup does not. With any throttle at all this one makes some boost and has no lag. In all honesty if you totally release the throttle and floor it trying to feel the lag its almost not there. The only place you'd ever feel it commonly driving on a track would be places where you go from full brake/coast to full throttle which is how often? You'r
Northwest86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:14 AM   #26
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Put me in the "none" category. Just downshift and run 'er in the fun zone. It's a go kart. There's plenty enough under the hood.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:33 AM   #27
Cojonudo
I'm New

Garage
Quote:
Let us say I know of one that makes the above resemble a Chinese Product. And another which puts their track reliability and throttle response to shame. The above aren't bad for sure. But these two are kits that have been under heavy RnD by extremely knowledgable people for the entire life of the 86's and only have been released when they knew that not a single problem was present with anything in the kit. Mind you these are in the 6-8k usd for the turbo kit alone. They don't come with pumps and all that kind of stuff. Mind you they are Australian made and that jacks the price up a little since our wages are significantly higher here.

A PD Supercharger does have instantaneous response and a traditional Turbo FMIC setup does not. With any throttle at all this one makes some boost and has no lag. In all honesty if you totally release the throttle and floor it trying to feel the lag its almost not there. The only place you'd ever feel it commonly driving on a track would be places where you go from full brake/coast to full throttle which is how often? You'r
So, you're saying supercharge will give me more bang for my buck?
86kahl (12-22-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 12:54 AM   #28
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Put me in the "none" category. Just downshift and run 'er in the fun zone. It's a go kart. There's plenty enough under the hood.
What this guy said.

Make the car your bitch and downshift to 4th or 3rd, keeping the RPMs over 4k to 5k. Just listening to the engine scream and the exhaust roar (not stock) is so damn satisfying.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-21-2015)