follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-16-2020, 12:40 AM   #85
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Our local cop has his own Facebook page, which is regularly updated by people when they see him. They keep tabs on where he is parked so people can avoid the area
I've seen him a couple of times but has nothing has happened. The Corsa tips look pretty subtle the way they're shaped they kind of look stock how they slant with the bumper. Maybe I'm just lucky so far.

I considered sticking my oem catback on for winter..

In the morning I just move the car in gear for a second to disable the cold start idle so I don't piss my neighbors off at 5am.
That sounds awful.

It's these few crusaders who give the rest of them a bad name, but at the same time the "#noisemaker" campaign really took off and a few other regional police forces adopted enforcement blitzes, to which I can only conclude that it's another cash grab. Especially when barely any one was driving with COVID and revenue from traffic/moving violation tickets hit record lows along with it.

Our vanilla, lego man looking mayor also went on live television to proclaim that people with loud exhausts have small ****s.... so there's that too.

People need to relax on both sides of the fence. They're ruining it for the rest of us.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RayRay88 For This Useful Post:
HaXx (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 07:11 AM   #86
anodic

Drives: Halo frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
Both.

I'm wholeheartedly against obnoxious speeding in residential areas, stanced out death traps, and pop tunes. If your car is a risk to the public safety or you're redlining up and down a quite suburb at night you deserve the long arm of the law up the back side.

What I am also against is persecution and a witch hunt against any car that's modified. The law here in Ontario is that noise limits are arbitrary and basically upto the discretion of the officer. This officer and his ilk are basically pulling over anything that looks modified. He classifies anything non oem as illegal, doesn't matter how loud or quiet it is.

This all leads to a slippery slope of over enforcement and infringement of rights.

I've seen dozens of posts of OEM (Audi RS, BMW M, etc.) cars (with valved exhausts or factory optioned sports exhausts) getting tickets. It's a waste of the tax payers and the defendants time and money to get these resolved.

They're even sticking camera probes in exhausts and if they don't see baffles blocking the internals it's an automatic ticket.

I just ask for smarter policing, less of the flavour of the month ticket bonanza.

Also if you check this guys twitter out, someone definitely ran his mother over with a modified car. He has a hard on for them. Not to mention a very vocal fan base of Karens and Kens to stroke his ego and lick his boots.
Arbitrary? Better go and check the federal laws on noise limits. Although, I suppose provincial law supercedes federal law?

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...on-sched6.html
anodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:26 AM   #87
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
That sounds awful.

It's these few crusaders who give the rest of them a bad name, but at the same time the "#noisemaker" campaign really took off and a few other regional police forces adopted enforcement blitzes, to which I can only conclude that it's another cash grab. Especially when barely any one was driving with COVID and revenue from traffic/moving violation tickets hit record lows along with it.

Our vanilla, lego man looking mayor also went on live television to proclaim that people with loud exhausts have small ****s.... so there's that too.

People need to relax on both sides of the fence. They're ruining it for the rest of us.
Research! The traffic infractions and tickets hit record HIGHS during the shutdowns. Not only were there more of them but the offences were more severe since people figured they were safe to rip around the almost empty streets. Since they didn't have traffic to hide in they got caught easier than normal.

You nailed it in your closing though. There are two sides to this situations but it is the extremists on each side that are making it worse than it needs to be.
Dadhawk (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 08:29 AM   #88
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,129 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Research! The traffic infractions and tickets hit record HIGHS during the shutdowns. Not only were there more of them but the offences were more severe since people figured they were safe to rip around the almost empty streets. Since they didn't have traffic to hide in they got caught easier than normal.

You nailed it in your closing though. There are two sides to this situations but it is the extremists on each side that are making it worse than it needs to be.
Exactly. April was peak for covid/empty roads. so many people assume they can have a field day with nobody around.

Meanwhile I was thinking the opposite. An easy target when you are the only person driving on a road normally filled with hundreds per minute.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-16-2020), Tcoat (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 08:54 AM   #89
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Exactly. April was peak for covid/empty roads. so many people assume they can have a field day with nobody around.

Meanwhile I was thinking the opposite. An easy target when you are the only person driving on a road normally filled with hundreds per minute.
Between the end of March and the beginning of June I stopped counting how many I saw being loaded on to flatbeds along the side of the 401. After about 10 it just became so common it didn't even surprise me anymore. Was a very eclectic mix of cars from beat up old mini vans to top of the line Jags. I would say that Mustangs and BMWs were the majority though. That was just in a 40 km stretch between Woodstock and London so I can imagine that around TO there were many times that number.

Hell, people were going for the record in some areas!
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/11/world...rnd/index.html
RToyo86 (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 05:11 PM   #90
RayRay88

Quote:
Originally Posted by anodic View Post
Arbitrary? Better go and check the federal laws on noise limits. Although, I suppose provincial law supercedes federal law?

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...on-sched6.html
Federal laws definitely apply more to legality for sale and MOT approval for the end consumer. The enforcement by provincial and municipal laws operate beyond that to curb things like damaged exhausts for example. They've stretched their authority to go beyond that start ticketing anything that isn't "OEM new" standards.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:17 PM   #91
RayRay88

Quote:

I've heard from many sources within the policing community that the increase was in response to a rise in infractions but also because cops became more rigorous and less forgiving. I bet if we could find a break down on the weekly/monthly infraction rate you'll see a steep plummet followed by a sharp increase caused by an over reaction/correction by enforcement officers to counter "implied future losses".

We'll never really know what's going on without real transparency. So your guess is as good as mine.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:32 PM   #92
anodic

Drives: Halo frs
Quote:
Federal laws definitely apply more to legality for sale and MOT approval for the end consumer. The enforcement by provincial and municipal laws operate beyond that to curb things like damaged exhausts for example. They've stretched their authority to go beyond that start ticketing anything that isn't "OEM new" standards.
Safe to assume that all the laws about noise are derived from the federal noise limits.

Until you can bring actual hard facts to the table, shut your mouth and pay your ticket like a good boy.
anodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:02 AM   #93
RayRay88

Quote:
Originally Posted by anodic View Post
Safe to assume that all the laws about noise are derived from the federal noise limits.

Until you can bring actual hard facts to the table, shut your mouth and pay your ticket like a good boy.
Ontario HTA does not specify any limits. Everyone is charged under this:

Noise, smoke, bells and horns
Muffler
75 (1) Every motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and excessive smoke, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon a motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (1).

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08#BK144

Thanks for trying to tell me about the law in my own province. Perhaps lay off the roids for a bit and calm down. It's just the internet, try having a civilized conversation once and while like an adult.

Last edited by RayRay88; 09-18-2020 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:09 AM   #94
pallen

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
Hell, people were going for the record in some areas!
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/11/world...rnd/index.html
I'm kind of disappointed they didn't say what the kid was driving and how they caught someone going 191mph.
pallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:16 AM   #95
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallen View Post
I'm kind of disappointed they didn't say what the kid was driving and how they caught someone going 191mph.
He was driving a Mercedes. He eventually had to slow down so they were able to catch him with their Charger.
Dadhawk (09-17-2020), pallen (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 12:41 PM   #96
pallen

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
lol, at that speed, he'd run out of gas pretty quick, I guess...
pallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:43 PM   #97
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallen View Post
lol, at that speed, he'd run out of gas pretty quick, I guess...
Yea, that was my take on it. Helicopter can keep him in sight, direct folks and just wait for him to run out of gas.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (09-17-2020)