follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #29
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
"brand snobbery" is something men do usually. Most women don't even know what brand car you drive, all they see is if it is clean and if they think it is cute.

But if having a "status badge" makes you feel better then there is no reason not to get it, it is your money you are free to buy whatever you want for whatever reason you want.

#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #30
Brett
First 86

Drives: Whiteout MT FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staticz View Post
Alright, I was just concerned since every review I have read mainly talks about how amazing it is on the track.
I think that's probably because reviewers have so far only been allowed to drive the car on the Subaru or Toyota test tracks. As the car becomes more accessible to reviewers, we will see more situations covered.

As others have said, you're straight out of school, so may not be the best time for a new car. I wish I'd saved more money right after graduation (10 years ago). Just my two cents.

Take care,
Brett
Old 02-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #31
Staticz

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have to buy a car, as my current vehicle belongs to my dad and he wants to let my sister, who recently turned 16, drive it. So it's more a question of how expensive of a car to buy. I really don't trust used cars as my family has had some reliability issues in the past. I've set a ~20k-25k target for my purchase, which should give me very reasonable payments with the current low interest rates available.

That's one reason the GTI is kind of off my list. It MSRPs for 24-25k but I havnt been able to find one at a dealer for less than 26-27k. I am worried the BRZ will have a similar issue, but im hoping the base FR-S falls into my range.
Staticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #32
HitTheGas

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Quote:
I have to buy a car, as my current vehicle belongs to my dad and he wants to let my sister, who recently turned 16, drive it. So it's more a question of how expensive of a car to buy. I really don't trust used cars as my family has had some reliability issues in the past. I've set a ~20k-25k target for my purchase, which should give me very reasonable payments with the current low interest rates available.

That's one reason the GTI is kind of off my list. It MSRPs for 24-25k but I havnt been able to find one at a dealer for less than 26-27k. I am worried the BRZ will have a similar issue, but im hoping the base FR-S falls into my range.
Well in that case, this is a great car to get. It's trunk is almost a hatchback, rear seats fold flat. so it can help you move which you will probably do a couple times at least while you own it (especially right after college).

If history is any indicator it will also last you for as long as you need. You could buy it & drive it until you're ready for the retirement home (or until gas hits $50 a gallon, whatever comes first; probably the gas).

The rear seats are actually pretty roomy for a 2+2, so even if you get married & have kids; it still remains a useful car.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #33
AX_FRS

Drives: 05 Ford Focus ZX4
My girlfriend likes the way the Scion looks. She thought it was a sexy car and I'm pretty sure the majority of girls don't care what brand the car is as long as it looks hot.
AX_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #34
Staticz

Alright cool thanks, frs is definitely at the top of my list. Now I just have to cross my fingers that the msrp is reasonable and I can get my hands on one befor my sister steals my car lol.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #35
Dunkindoanuts

Drives: 99 Tacoma
Op i am in the exact same shoes as you...
awaiting MSRP on this car, literally looking at the same exact cars.

just do what i am doing, be selfish, its a car YOU want and YOU will drive, i don't care if the backseats are good for nothing haha.

I will also be using this as my daily driver.
Dunkindoanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #36
Staticz

Lol cool. I occasionally have thoughts like "maybe I should be more practical and get a Mazda 3 or a focus or something..." but I have my whole life to drive boring cars and be responsible when's there a better time to get what we really want?
Old 02-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #37
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitTheGas View Post
Have you already paid off your college loans? If you're still in debt, i'd recommend paying it off fully before you look at a new car.

Aside from that, in the price range the FR-S, BRZ or GTI would be the cars to look at. The Hyundais are ugly imo + you'll be stuck w/ the stigma of driving a Hyundai (not going to impress the ladies). The civic Si is FWD like the GTI, but the GTI has a really nice interior which the Si lacks (& a better engine).

The FR-S & BRZ have RWD, which puts them ahead of the the rest of the cars imo (well except the mustang which is also RWD), but i like how the FR-S looks more than the mustang.

Depending on where you live though, you might not want RWD (if you get a lot of snow during the year); in which case i would get the GTI.

:happy0180:
Wanna impress the ladies -er.. sorry the gold diggers (because worthwhile women don't base attraction on material goods) then you'll need to start with BMW/Audi/Mercedes and finish somewhere in the Lambo/Ferrari/Porsche/Bugatti range. Buuuuut when you don't have a "money room" that you only enter to roll around in your middle-class crushing pocket change then realistically it's not the car it's the person inside it.
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #38
Staticz

Hopefully the fr-s is significantly cheaper (1.5-3k range) otherwise I'll be really tempted to get the brz... Standard features on brz are really good and I think it has a bit more mature look, plus Subaru is pretty respected I think.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #39
visualgap

Drives: Toyota
I am also 22 and recently graduated college and started a good job and my current daily driver is an 05 Camry lol but I'm thinking on getting the BRZ just cuz of the awesome blue
visualgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #40
Staticz

Lol that's pretty funny how close our situations are. If the BRZ is less than 25k I'll be very tempted... But that would also probably put the fr-s in the 22-23k range. Color wise I like the black, blue, and silver on both cars so it's not a big factor for me. I would prefer brz from a style/features/brand standpoint but idk how much extra money that's worth.

You guys think we will be able to talk Subaru dealers down a bit by threatening to get the cheaper fr-s across the street?

My dads also thinking of getting a Subaru outback or legacy... Wonder if we could get some kind of deal for buying 2 cars on the same day :P
Old 02-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #41
HitTheGas

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Quote:
Alright cool thanks, frs is definitely at the top of my list. Now I just have to cross my fingers that the msrp is reasonable and I can get my hands on one befor my sister steals my car lol.
if you're in that much of a hurry you might want to preorder. w/ scion the dealers aren't allowed to charge more or less than the MSRP. so you don't have to worry about them jacking up the price due to high demand.

i have a feeling the first batch are going to sell out as soon as they hit the lots.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #42
Staticz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitTheGas View Post
if you're in that much of a hurry you might want to preorder. w/ scion the dealers aren't allowed to charge more or less than the MSRP. so you don't have to worry about them jacking up the price due to high demand.

i have a feeling the first batch are going to sell out as soon as they hit the lots.
Not a bad idea, I will look into that soon.