follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Mollusk

Drives: Honda Civic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No Garage!

Hey guys, I am pretty sure I want to get a BRZ in galaxy blue silica, but I have a small problem. Where I live, there is no garage! Not even a covered parking spot. I will have to park my car outside 24/7/365.

What would be the best way to protect the paint job against the elements? I know it's not ideal, the best thing to do would be to give it shelter, but I don't think I'll have a place with a garage for another 3 years at least.

I'm seeing threads about clear bra and opticoat, which seem like good ideas. I know I'm not going to be able to maintain a showroom finish, but all I really want is to keep the paint from getting true long-term damage. The hope is that when I do get a garage, I can restore the paint job to like-new condition.

Anybody else in my situation?
Mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
mezdup

Drives: 2014 Ice Silver WRX
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollusk View Post
Hey guys, I am pretty sure I want to get a BRZ in galaxy blue silica, but I have a small problem. Where I live, there is no garage! Not even a covered parking spot. I will have to park my car outside 24/7/365.

What would be the best way to protect the paint job against the elements? I know it's not ideal, the best thing to do would be to give it shelter, but I don't think I'll have a place with a garage for another 3 years at least.

I'm seeing threads about clear bra and opticoat, which seem like good ideas. I know I'm not going to be able to maintain a showroom finish, but all I really want is to keep the paint from getting true long-term damage. The hope is that when I do get a garage, I can restore the paint job to like-new condition.

Anybody else in my situation?
gonna go out on a limb and say that the majority of people here don't have garages lol. opticoat, regular washes & occasional detailing should be fine.
mezdup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mezdup For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (03-12-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
jimmillion
Power Ranger Elite

Drives: '13 WRB Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
- park in the shade whenever possible.
- get a sun visor for the windshield to protect the plastics/leathers from discolouring over the years
- keep it clean as much as you can.
- invest in a car cover if you want, but it's only a recommendation.
- invest in a padded car cover if you live in an area that sees hail (a must if you get hail)
- have the car colour corrected once a year, twice a year if you have the funds.

- only invest in a popup shelter if you've done your research and bought one you're sure wont collapse on your car over some wind/stupid people that bump it.

jimmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmillion For This Useful Post:
Miniata (03-12-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
BRZPDX
Boosted Member

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Garage
I'd wait till you get a garage to buy your BRZ. Not sure what kind of neighborhood you live in, but reading some member posts about getting keyed, getting hit 'n' runs etc., this car is a easy target at the moment. Flashy, new, affordable, all points to a good vandalism object imo.

SUV's: Mercedes Benz R500 '06, Mercedes Benz ML350 '12
BRZPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZPDX For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (03-12-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
I'd move before buying the car. A garage is well worth the trouble of moving. You can work on your car and save money by DIY almost everything, have storage for tools, spares, dead babies, and other stuff. At least look into moving somewhere with covered parking of some form like a car port or a covered controlled-access parking deck if it's an apartment or condo. You'll sleep better at night knowing the car is safe out of the elements if not directly attached to your house where you can just step right out to it.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 03-11-2013 at 10:07 PM.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
Blood

Drives: 2018 STI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have a galaxy blue BRZ too and I leave it outside (no garage currently). I'm not really concerned since it's my daily driver, it's inevitable that it's going to get some scratches and scars here and there. I do have an Xpel Ultimate clear film on the front and opti-coat, no idea how much either of them will help against the elements, but they're both worth it if you can find a good detailer in your area.
Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
Mollusk

Drives: Honda Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
I'd move before buying the car. A garage is well worth the trouble of moving. You can work on your car and save money by DIY almost everything, have storage for tools, spares, dead babies, and other stuff. At least look into moving somewhere with covered parking of some form like a car port or a covered controlled-access parking deck if it's an apartment or condo. You'll sleep better at night knowing the car is safe out of the elements if not directly attached to your house where you can just step right out to it.
I would kill for a garage for exactly those reasons. I love working on my car! (And I just have nowhere to put all of these dead babies!) But it won't be possible for at least a few years.

I have to keep reminding myself that this isn't an expensive car like a Ferrari or a Lambo which MUST be kept safe from the elements...it's a $25k car. In a way, that's the beauty of it - you can have a fun driver's car and not be terrified of a paint chip (though I probably still will be). I'm just looking for a cost-effective way to limit the inevitable damage.

Maybe I could wrap the whole damn thing in clear bra...
Mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollusk View Post
I would kill for a garage for exactly those reasons. I love working on my car! (And I just have nowhere to put all of these dead babies!) But it won't be possible for at least a few years.

I have to keep reminding myself that this isn't an expensive car like a Ferrari or a Lambo which MUST be kept safe from the elements...it's a $25k car. In a way, that's the beauty of it - you can have a fun driver's car and not be terrified of a paint chip (though I probably still will be). I'm just looking for a cost-effective way to limit the inevitable damage.

Maybe I could wrap the whole damn thing in clear bra...
Gotcha, in that case I'd just shell out top dollar for a really nice waterproof breathable car cover and use it as often as possible.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #9
KSC

Drives: Ion Redline
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
What the hell is going on in here?! No offense, but while having a garage is sweet and all, most people don't have the luxury. Suggesting that the OP wait until he gets a garage or outright move to get one before purchasing a $25K car is bit extreme, no? Shit, if I listened to advice like that, I would have been walking to work for the past two decades!

Just drive the car, Mollusk. Treat it well, but don't put it on a pedestal. Drive it and have fun!

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KSC For This Useful Post:
86X86 (03-13-2013), elbachatero1 (03-14-2013), jjkerr626 (03-11-2013), strat61caster (03-12-2013), wrxesb (03-12-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
WillBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
calm down it's a 30k car. not a lambo lmfao. BRZ stays outside while my bimmer & infiniti have the garage.
WillBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #11
Silverfox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, Edelbrock SC, E-85
When you go to purchase the BRZ they will try and sell you the service plan. Try and make it seem as if you are not interested and then say you'd think about it if they throw in the car cover. I was able to get a car cover, key fob, and a plate frame just so i would get the service plan that I was going to get anyways. Dealerships are willing to give a little of the cheap extras to earn long term business and profits. Just don't seem to eager to walk out with the car that day. Just an Idea! good luck man. i love mine.
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
Skurj

Drives: SOLD...
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Buy it, drive it, park it... when you get a house with a garage, buy another one if you want to shelter it.
Replaced with 18 50th edition ND
Skurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #13
I usually post drunk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
hmm I park my car on the street not a single fuck given

Unless you have detailing tools and can take car of swirls as they appear, your car WILL get swirls. But you can keep a nice finish even with no garage or covered parking. Mine is 9 months old and still has that new glossy look. A few swirls coming up but its OK I won't lose sleep
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #87 For This Useful Post:
KSC (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Only depends on weather and neighborhood.

If you're expecting a couple feet of snow I'd be a little worried, if wheels go missing regularly I'd be worried, otherwise waiting for a garage is just a waste of time.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote