follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2022, 10:33 AM   #1
Kulebrero1

Drives: Gr86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Coilover recommendations

Hello!

Does anyone have any experience with BC Racing RAM coilovers? They come with 8K springs. I will be using it for track duty primarily.

Also, I think it comes with adjustable top hats, but if it doesn’t, I’ll add it. Will I need anything else to adjust the camber?

It’s for a 2022 Gr86
Kulebrero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:17 AM   #2
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
At that price point they are probably crap.
We have a sticky for these questions.

Suspension tag team.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 02:00 PM   #3
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
What kind and what size tires do you run?

Do you have any other suspension mods?

How much track experience do you have?

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 02:19 PM   #4
Poogchomp

Drives: Chevrolet Ram 250
My recommendations are csg spec teins, rs-r club sports, or rce tarmac 2s. But like the last guy who made a similar post, you're probably going to ignore everyone and buy bc coils anyways.
x808drifter (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 02:49 PM   #5
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I've driven on a few different setups on the street and autocross. I keep coming back to KW V3's / RCE Tarmac 2's. Valving is good on both (KW actually makes the Tarmac 2's for RCE). Great at absorbing smaller bumps surprisingly.

In general though, unless you're an experienced track driver, I'd be sticking with the stock suspension with good pads/fluid for safety. Upgraded tires maybe. No need to go tossing on some $2500 suspension when you don't know the limits of the car in stock form.
Poogchomp (05-14-2022), x808drifter (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 02:52 PM   #6
Kulebrero1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
What kind and what size tires do you run?

Do you have any other suspension mods?

How much track experience do you have?

- Andrew
17x9 wheels. 245x40x17 RS4 tires.

Car is stock.

I’ve done about 15 HPDE days and a couple of autox.

I tend to prefer a bit of a stiffer suspension.

Budget for suspension including alignment is $2-3K.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:56 PM   #7
Kulebrero1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poogchomp View Post
My recommendations are csg spec teins, rs-r club sports, or rce tarmac 2s. But like the last guy who made a similar post, you're probably going to ignore everyone and buy bc coils anyways.
Why would I ignore the advice/feedback I’m specifically asking for? I saw the BC racing coilovers for $1500-1900 depending on options and thought they might be in the right price range for me. Hence the question about whether they’re good or not. Sounds like there are better options in that same price range or slightly higher.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:47 PM   #8
Kulebrero1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiovino View Post
I've driven on a few different setups on the street and autocross. I keep coming back to KW V3's / RCE Tarmac 2's. Valving is good on both (KW actually makes the Tarmac 2's for RCE). Great at absorbing smaller bumps surprisingly.

In general though, unless you're an experienced track driver, I'd be sticking with the stock suspension with good pads/fluid for safety. Upgraded tires maybe. No need to go tossing on some $2500 suspension when you don't know the limits of the car in stock form.
This may be an unpopular opinion but I strongly disagree.

A car with poor tires and suspension is more difficult to handle. It has less grip and balance leaving an inexperienced driver with less room for error.

Better tires, brakes, and suspension are like training wheels for a new driver. They’ll compensate for poor driving, abrupt inputs, and small mistakes. You could say it’ll make up for some of your bad habits but that’s what you have an instructor for. They’ll let you know if you’re not smooth enough or if you’re doing something you shouldn’t ,, but with loads of grip and good suspension, you’ll get away with it when you need it most. So what if you can’t wring out every drop of what those performance tires, brake, and suspension have to offer. At first they’re there to make it easier and safer to drive and learn.

I don’t have objective data to prove it, but anecdotally, I see more people spin, go off track in the novice and intermediate groups than the advanced and TT groups at the ~15 track days I’ve done. Put another way, telling someone to learn to drive as fast as possible, brake as hard as possible, and turn at the highest speed possible in a car with crappy street tires and suspension is like telling them to learn to drive on a busy, narrow track with walls right on the edge. Compared to learning in a slow car with lots of grip on a wide and open track with lots of run off areas and zero walls anywhere. You’ll feel safer, more confident. Making mistakes is harder, and the car will respond better and will buy you time.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:20 PM   #9
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulebrero1 View Post
I see more people spin, go off track in the novice and intermediate groups than the advanced and TT groups at the ~15 track days I’ve done.
I've always seen the opposite. Int to Adv are always pushing harder.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:57 PM   #10
Poogchomp

Drives: Chevrolet Ram 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulebrero1 View Post
Why would I ignore the advice/feedback I’m specifically asking for? I saw the BC racing coilovers for $1500-1900 depending on options and thought they might be in the right price range for me. Hence the question about whether they’re good or not. Sounds like there are better options in that same price range or slightly higher.
Didn't mean to sound like an ass. The last person who asked for similar advice ended up ignoring everyone and buying BC coils anyways. Most of the time when I see someone ask about a specific thing they've already made up their mind about 90% of the way and just want to reaffirm that they made a good decision. I apologize for being an ass. That being said, my recommendations still stand. For what it's worth, the CSG teins are in the same price point as the BC coils your looking at and you'll be happier with them.
Captain Snooze (05-14-2022), churchx (05-14-2022), x808drifter (05-14-2022)