follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #43
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avo1789 View Post
How have these been working for you guys? My main concern is if the adhesive will hold up when my car is roasting in the CA sun all day.
so far, so good! The adhesive on these things is pretty impressive.

Its made by 3m, the same people who make the double sided sticky tape with red backing, thats used for lips, spoilers and other exterior car parts.
Obviously this stuff is way thinner, but same idea.
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
Stark Performance (04-01-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #44
Stark Performance

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avo1789 View Post
How have these been working for you guys? My main concern is if the adhesive will hold up when my car is roasting in the CA sun all day.
I too was concerned about how well the adhesive would hold up in Southern California summer. The standard 3M VHB you pick up at the auto parts store doesn't cut the mustard (tested it myself) in this application. I tested a better adhesive that has a high heat tolerance, but it would get flimsy after being in the sun all day and eventually failed. The stuff I use now has a long term temperature tolerance of 300 degrees Fahrenheit and a short term temperature tolerance of 500 degrees. Sounds like overkill, but it doesn't get gummy or flexible after being in the sun all day and hasn't failed either. Even when the paddles are almost too hot to the touch, the connection is very firm and has a crisp feel to the engagement of the paddles.
Stark Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stark Performance For This Useful Post:
continuecrushing (04-01-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 02:08 AM   #45
Avo1789

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Performance View Post
I too was concerned about how well the adhesive would hold up in Southern California summer. The standard 3M VHB you pick up at the auto parts store doesn't cut the mustard (tested it myself) in this application. I tested a better adhesive that has a high heat tolerance, but it would get flimsy after being in the sun all day and eventually failed. The stuff I use now has a long term temperature tolerance of 300 degrees Fahrenheit and a short term temperature tolerance of 500 degrees. Sounds like overkill, but it doesn't get gummy or flexible after being in the sun all day and hasn't failed either. Even when the paddles are almost too hot to the touch, the connection is very firm and has a crisp feel to the engagement of the paddles.
Awesome, thanks for the reply!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Avo1789 is offline   Reply With Quote